It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
(male)

riils HB User
Exclamation Should I get laser surgery? (extreme astigmatism + hyperopia)

Hello everyone,

I have severe astigmatism in combination with hyperopia and I am considering to have eye laser surgery. Here are my measurements:

Left: +2.25sph -4.5cyl
Right: +1.75sph -4.25cyl

Left: +3.25sph -4.75cyl
Right: +2.75sph -4.25cyl

Current glasses:
Left: +2.0sph -4.25cyl
Right: +1.75sph -3.75cyl

I had sizable astigmatism already from birth, but it has gradually increased, especially in last 5 years or so. I am 23 year old male.

I have spent a lot of time in front of computer. My vision has gotten so bad that I have terrible eye strain after few hours of focusing on computer screen. So much so that I can no longer work or continue education in my profession (IT).

I have strong glasses that give me acceptable image sharpness, but my eyes never seem to be relaxed and seem to be fighting for focus. My left eye gets more eyestrain then right eye.

I had pre-op checkup at one LASIK clinic and they told me that I can be a candidate for LASIK and I have thick cornea.

My online investigation tells me that I am on right on the limit of what's approved by FDA for the particular laser machine they have in clinic - not very reassuring.

I believe I am a difficult case for laser surgery, but I don't see any alternatives, stronger glasses would probably make the eyestrain even worse.

Should I be getting laser surgery (LASIK or any other kind)? What could be the problems/complication for my case?

Has anyone here with similar eye condition had laser surgery, how did it turn out?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

Katia13 HB User
Cool Re: Should I get laser surgery? (extreme astigmatism + hyperopia)

Hi there! Although no one can make the decision for you, I highly recommend you research an excellent doctor and consult. Astigmatism is a bit trickier from what I experienced. I had -4.50 with 4.0 astig left eye and -2.75 no astigmatism right eye. Post lasik about a month and a half, as you, I was confused at my left eye being blurry and my right eye being perfect. Granted as you can see I had an astigmatism that caused me to see blurry both near and far. It had been corrected from a 4.0 to a 2.0 and I tried waiting to see how it may improve. At the eye doctor appointment 4 months post surgery I learned my blurry vision in the eye had gone down to a 1.5 astigmatism which is still big. My doc said to come back in another two months to decide if an enhancement should be done. Sure enough at that next appointment it was STILL BLURRY and 1.5 astigmatism. I made an appointment to do my free enhancement. It was way easier the second time around. The procedure did not have the suction thing and it was very fast. I was still not perfect the day after the procedure or a even a week, but I realized it was a different kind of blur (If that makes sense) It was what I would term the "healing blur" due to swelling. But it suddenly disappeared and 3 weeks after the enhancement I had the GREATEST CRAZIEST VISION EVER. I thought to myself, that's what I'm talking about!" I wanted to go on the board here to share my experience. Not to give false hope, but to let people in limbo with similiar experiences know that it usually can be okay, even if it didn't go perfect the first time. Big hug. Hope this helps you.

Reply Reply