It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM  
(male)

deeselcyde HB User
2.5 mo. after lasik questions.

I posted here a while back and thought I would make a new thread.

My main concern after I got LASIK done (1/23/2013) was my left eye not seeing as sharp as my right eye at distance (greater than 15-20 feet). Obviously I need time to heal. About a month and a half after surgery my docter tested my eyes with the wavefront machine and various other methods and he concluded my left eye was a half diopter off (which he said is about as minimal as you can get). 2 weeks later I tested a 1/4 diopter off, which in his opinion isn't serious at all.

When I'm outside everything is great. When I'm in dimly lit rooms I notice it more.

For fun I like to play computer games. I didn't try playing for at least a month after surgery. However, when I did I would get a headache and it didn't feel right. I would almost get nauseous.

After testing my eyes it seems that my right eye (which is so good at far) is not very good up close. The exact opposite as my left eye. It's not like I can't see, but, you can definitely tell the difference. It's almost like it has a hard time focusing within 10 feet. I honestly can play computer games but I choose not to because it is so aggravating and all I can concentrate on is my vision not being right. I work on the computer every day at work pretty much all day and it is not noticeable. I'm thinking because it's a well lit room and the fact that I'm not playing a fast paced game lol.

I know that it takes up to 6 months to heal, sometimes longer depending on the person...but has anyone experienced something like this?

Before you ask, I did not get monovision, I got custom wavefront lasik.

Before surgery my contact prescription was -5.75.

Is it just a matter of your brain getting used to it? If I have to get a touch up what eye should I get evened out? I obviously am still healing (about 2.5 months into recovery).

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM  
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
Sounds like both eyes are off. One is overcorrected the other under corrected. What is the new diopter numbers?

I had similar prescription as yours before Lasik

My eyes are off too. One is perfect the other is a little farsighted which sucks and i wasnt aware could happen - i thought when they mess up with moderate myopia that it is always undercorection. Sadly i was wrong and ill informed. Undercorection is way better bc ur near vision is still stellar. You can always correct any remainder with contacts. My goal was just to not be blind bc -5.50 is pretty freakin blurry on its own, i would have been ok with a little undercorrection.

My Doctor says it takes 3-6 months for vision to stabalize but my eyes havent really changed much since the 1 or 2 month mark as far as i can tell. i will know more in a few weeks when i have the next visit. The only improvement may be that induced astigmatism from the laser is subsiding and night vision may have improved - hard to tell bc eyes are still dry. My doc says to think of lasik recovery in terms of months not weeks or days.

If your eyes are really dry, as your tear film improves so may some of your vision and glare issues.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM  
(male)

deeselcyde HB User
Re: 2.5 mo. after lasik questions.

Well, the whole point in getting this surgery was to never wear contacts again because I hate them and they hate me. Is there any way my brain will get used to it? If your eye is over corrected is it better to get it under corrected or to have your left slightly over corrected to match my right eye.

EDIT: I do not know my new diopter numbers.

Last edited by deeselcyde; 04-08-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 PM  
(female)

Sounds like both eyes are off. One is overcorrected the other under corrected. What is the new diopter numbers?

I had similar prescription as yours before Lasik

My eyes are off too. One is perfect the other is a little farsighted which sucks and i wasnt aware could happen - i thought when they mess up with moderate myopia that it is always undercorection. Sadly i was wrong and ill informed. Undercorection is way better bc ur near vision is still stellar. You can always correct any remainder with contacts. My goal was just to not be blind bc -5.50 is pretty freakin blurry on its own, i would have been ok with a little undercorrection.

My Doctor says it takes 3-6 months for vision to stabalize but my eyes havent really changed much since the 1 or 2 month mark as far as i can tell. i will know more in a few weeks when i have the next visit. The only improvement may be that induced astigmatism from the laser is subsiding and night vision may have improved - hard to tell bc eyes are still dry. My doc says to think of lasik recovery in terms of months not weeks or days.

If your eyes are really dry, as your tear film improves so may some of your vision and glare issues.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM  
(female)

For some reason my original reply posted twice

First thing is that lasik doesnt always make your vision perfect. Alot of people still need corrective lenses after to achieve the best vision possible although many opt not to wear them bc they hate them .

My sister had it done 10 yrs ago and is now 20/25 but was 20/15. She could have better vision with a lense but doesnt want to wear anything. Same with a friend of mine who has it 14 or so yrs ago.

My opinion is that its better to be slightly undercorrected vs overcorrected. Farsight cant see near very well or far.

I read somewhere that lasik clinics call it a success if your eyes are between -.25 to +.5. To me, -.25 is great bc ur near vision is probably amazing AND you can still see reasonably far., but +.5 isnt good unless you are under 30. If under 30 and the eye is still changing, then the +.5 probably wont be noticeable to your vision and you might still have some more nearsightedness coming your way which would get you to around plano in a few years. If over 30, the +.5 might stick and then one day when you are middle aged it will make your vision pretty bad.

I have no idea about the brain adjust thing. I guess it must eventually pick an eye and go with that vision bc some people get monovision where one eye is corrected for distance and the other for close.

If it is really bugging you, maybe your doctor will give you some trial lenses just to a. tide you over until your eyes stabalize so you dont get nauseas and b to see if any adjustment to your vision makes it better. That is also how you will know if a re-surgery would even help you. If you try a lense and it does nothing then a resurgery probably wont help.

I am 3 1/2 months out from the lasik and i stopped getting dizzy from it at around 8 weeks.

The recovery period stinks and is not well explained by lasik clinics.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM  
(male)

chliansh HB User

4 years post op I still have one eye that sees much better than the other, its not a refractive error and can not be corrected with glasses. Its irregular astigmatism, a common side effect of lasik.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM  
(male)

deeselcyde HB User

It's been over three months now and I feel like I am stabilized. My right eye still can see better at a distance but as well up close. Up close it seems to really try and focus. I can still read with my right eye up close but it's nowhere near as comfortable/clear/crisp/natural as my left eye. It's almost like I am monovision (one eye for close/one eye for far). Will my brain eventually adjust to this?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM  
(male)

chliansh HB User

I wish more people would come out of shadows and post on this site.....

deeselcyde
Lots of things it could be, but its another common complaint I have read of. I think it could be part of the neurological adaptation process your eyes and brain go thru after the surgery but hard to say how much it will improve.

The quickest way to get some insight would be to have your Dr. do a contact lens test with a hard contact. With a hard contact lens on your cornea it smooths out all the irregularities of you post surgery cornea and gives it a curvature close to perfect. While you have the contact on the Dr. can do a refraction and see if good vision has returned. If it has chances are your vision problems can be isolated to your cornea, after lasik it would be no surprise.

Keep Posting

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM  
(male)

deeselcyde HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chliansh View Post
I wish more people would come out of shadows and post on this site.....

deeselcyde
Lots of things it could be, but its another common complaint I have read of. I think it could be part of the neurological adaptation process your eyes and brain go thru after the surgery but hard to say how much it will improve.

The quickest way to get some insight would be to have your Dr. do a contact lens test with a hard contact. With a hard contact lens on your cornea it smooths out all the irregularities of you post surgery cornea and gives it a curvature close to perfect. While you have the contact on the Dr. can do a refraction and see if good vision has returned. If it has chances are your vision problems can be isolated to your cornea, after lasik it would be no surprise.

Keep Posting
Thanks for the reply.
Problems with the cornea are fixable through enhancements, correct?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 AM  
(male)

chliansh HB User

They claim to be able to do "enhancements" after the initial surgery but they just made more problems for me.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM  
(male)

deeselcyde HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chliansh View Post
They claim to be able to do "enhancements" after the initial surgery but they just made more problems for me.
In what ways?