It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
(male)

rm37 HB User
Considering Corrective Eye Surgery

Hi everyone,

First time poster so hope I have found the right place. I am 19 years old and have been short sighted (-3 in both eyes) for as long as I can remember, I have used contact lenses for the past 9 years. Basically I am now considering using my savings to get corrective laser surgery and am seeing my optician asap to see whether she thinks I would be a good candidate. I am posting on this just to see if there is anyone who has had the procedure and can offer any advice on where to get it done, what the risks are (i'm aware there are a few) or anything else, would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. Just for the record I live in Scotland!

Ross

Last edited by rm37; 04-25-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Hi Ross

My opinion:
1. Wait until you are 25 to make this decision bc your eyes might change still. Mine pretty much locked in at sometime between 20 - 25.
2. Some of the laser manufacturers show that below a certain myopia level there is a greater chance of becoming farsighted which is way worse than nearaightedness. I dont know what that level is but i presume you may be at the upper end of it so might not have this worry. Ask ur doc what % get farsighted and read the laser manufacturers studies. Plus look online for research.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Considering Corrective Eye Surgery

You really need to wait a few more years for your vision to stabilize before getting it done. Majority of surgeons (at least the reputable ones who aren't just after your money) won't even touch you until after age 25. It's an expensive enough procedure that you should want to do it when it has the best chance of success. Hence you need to wait. Sorry I know it sucks but if you're really serious about wanting it to work for you properly you need to wait until your vision has stabilized and that doesn't happen until at least 25.

Reply Reply

Tags
eye, laser, surgery