It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Starbursts - how long do they last?

What is the longest it takes for starbursts to go away after lasik? Anyone have them go away at any of these time frames?

- 3 mos
- 6 mos
- 9 mos
- 12+ mos
?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
(male)

Mig0932 HB User
Re: Starbursts - how long do they last?

Hi,
Right after surgery I had starbursts and halos, but nothing dramatic, i.e I could still drive at night easily. I am three months post-op now and the starbusts and halos have already diminished significantly, close to the level I was experiencing with my glasses before surgery.
According to my surgeon, whom I have seen this morning for my 3 months post-op exam, it is likely that the strabursts and halos will diminish again within the next three months before stabilizing.
My pre-surgery prescription was around -3.50 for each eye (I was myopic), with astigmatism in each eye at -1.50 at 90 degrees.
I had Wavefront Optimized surgery with the Allegretto 400 excimer laser.
Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User

Thanks mig!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

Aidigita HB User

I am going on my first year next month. June 7th to be exact. I still see starbursts and glare on microwave clocks and stoves. They are not as bad but it's still there.

Both my boss and co-worker had this done about 15 years ago and they do not have either. Mine doesn't bother me as, I guess got used to it

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Hi aidigita

Thanks for your reply.

What type of lasik did you have? All laser custom?

Do you see the starbursts all the time or only when the room is completely dark?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

Aidigita HB User

Hi whiskey, I had intralase custom. My starbursts are not bad , I can drive & I have notice that it is getting better. I see them only at nite while driving or certain street lamps, it's weird, not all lights are starbursts. :/ the glare is also at nite in dark room & it's microwave & oven clock. My alarm clock in my bedroom is fine.

I think it's different for everyone, one of the lawyers I work with had it done 3 years ago & she said she only saw the starbursts for about 2 months. I'm going on a year & still have them.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
(female)

whiskeythekid HB User
Recently Found the most honest lasik website posted by a doctor. Everyone else gives best case scenario OR no detail at all. here is realistic timeline
- dry eye timeline: 12-18 months
- starbursts timeline: 6 -12 months or might persist longer
- decrease in night vision: might be noticed

The place i had it done says 3 months for everything which I now know is not substantiated anywhere. Maybe for some people as a best case scenario, but not for all people.

I am 5 months from custom all laser. Starbursts happen at night/ very low light eg no light on LED's, most outdoor house lights - not all, i think it depends on the lightbulb. Occurs on a limited and minor basis on some car headlights. i saw 3 crescent moons a few nights ago, which went away once my eyes adjusted to going from a lit house to outside. pre-lasik there were only very minor lights shooting off of a tiny amount of car headlights probably depending on the type of light bulbs and conditions outside, otherwise 0 starbursts pre-lasik. The LED starbursts effect digital clocks and on/off lights on tv. The outdoor houselight starbursts are kind of horrifying. I will post back if there is an improvement.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-17-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 05-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
(male)

otte HB User

2 years for me and still have them - low light vision is not good. I have glasses that do help.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
(male)

john4822 HB User

what kind of glasses do you use to help with your starbursts and low light vission becuause I feel like I need one too.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #10
(male)

otte HB User

My starbursts are caused by left over or induced astigmatism. Prescription glasses can correct this. These glasses also help in low light because the astigmatism is reduced.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
(male)

john4822 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by otte View Post
My starbursts are caused by left over or induced astigmatism. Prescription glasses can correct this. These glasses also help in low light because the astigmatism is reduced.
I also have slight astigmatism on my left eye as well. the doctor told me it was .50 astigmatism. What's your astigmatism? I went to a optic store few days ago and tried on glasses with anti reflective coating but it didn't help me get rid of halo and glare. instead I noticed that when I put the glasses on, instead of just halo I see, I see halo and small starbursts.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
(male)

otte HB User

I have .75 and .50.
I asked for the prescription during my last check up. Went online and filled in the numbers and bought them. Allot cheaper then glass stores.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
(male)

john4822 HB User

Quote:
I have .75 and .50.
I asked for the prescription during my last check up. Went online and filled in the numbers and bought them. Allot cheaper then glass stores.
with the astigmatism of .50 in my left eye, is it alot? should I get an enhancement for it or just stay with the .50 astigmatism. another question I have, does astigmatism have anything to do with low contrast sensivity, because when I am in a low lit floursaurant light, I can't see the things cleary, I feel like it's missing details. did your glasses fix that problem?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
(male)

otte HB User

Where got my eyes done I think min astigmatism is .75 before considered for enhancement. Don't know about the contrast thing. Since the Dr. already did 2 tries on each eye and still right I am going to live with what I have. I did go for monovision so I do need glasses for long periods on computer or reading anyways and my driving glasses are only needed for low light driving or watching a movie - I can deal with that. Enhancement is up to you - you have to weight the possiblility that your eyes could get worse. It is an operation. Also I took the lifetime plan so if I really need work done later and I want it then maybe the DR can get it right.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
(male)

john4822 HB User

Quote:
Where got my eyes done I think min astigmatism is .75 before considered for enhancement. Don't know about the contrast thing. Since the Dr. already did 2 tries on each eye and still right I am going to live with what I have. I did go for monovision so I do need glasses for long periods on computer or reading anyways and my driving glasses are only needed for low light driving or watching a movie - I can deal with that. Enhancement is up to you - you have to weight the possiblility that your eyes could get worse. It is an operation. Also I took the lifetime plan so if I really need work done later and I want it then maybe the DR can get it right.
sorry if this is off topic, I noticed that after lasik, I also see flying spots, I dont know if it floater. it's most noticablable when I am outdoor or when looking at the sky. I never had floater prior to lasik. I see one or two tiny floater, is this normal? do you have it too? it's very annoying sometimes.

Reply Reply