It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

tchad111 HB User
Not happy 2 months after Lasik Surgery

I had Lasik surgery on both eyes over two months ago. I was told I would have dry eyes and not the best vision for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. My eyes are extremely dry - I put drops in every half hour or so. Finally complained and I requested Restatesis for dry eyes and it has been over a month I have been using that. My doctor just keeps telling me to be patient and give it more time. First two more weeks, then 5 more weeks now two more months. I am so frustrated. i can't read close up or distance. I requested a prescription to get glasses again to get me through and I can't see out of them 95% of the time either. My doctor says I might need a tweak but we need to wait until my eyes stabilize but how do they expect you to live your life until then. I can't read, or drive, or paint or pay bills or do almost anything I did before. I just wish they would have told me the truth. I am terrified I will be stuck this way. Do I now trust my doctor NO, do I get another opinion? I have no idea what to do. I had to drop on online college class, my painting class, my social groups. This is by far the worst decision I have done in my 57 years. Anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome, I am almost afraid to ask? I can't even grab a pair of glasses and put them on to see. I have to hit the CTRL key and the + key and blow up my screen so large to even be on the computer. To those that are considering this, please read, read and do more research. I for on would never advise anyone to do this again. And I know, I have read how you have to be "patient" because you are healing. But try sitting starring at the walls for over two months and see how patient you are. Any advise is greatly appreciated !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
Re: Not happy 2 months after Lasik Surgery

Lasik takes a long time to recover. Avg is 3 months but can be 6-12.
Info that lasik docs really gloss over. 1-2 weeks to recover is like best case scenario.

Sounds like you may have some farsightedness. Maybe see your optometrist for a reading to confirm that. Farsightedness can be temporary after lasik

I am 4 mos out. One eye was over corrected to farsighted that has improved from the 2 mos point. Was +.5 and now is around +.25.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

tchad111 HB User

I had no idea until I started reading on line. Yes, I was farsighted. Now can't see either way. So it does improve? 6 months is a long time. I am afraid to drive it is so bad and I am a one man band sort of to speak. Very scary. The doctors really should be more honest I think so you can make a better decision or just to plan your life. Thanks so much for the response.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
(male)

Merville HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad111 View Post
I had Lasik surgery on both eyes over two months ago. I was told I would have dry eyes and not the best vision for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. My eyes are extremely dry - I put drops in every half hour or so. Finally complained and I requested Restatesis for dry eyes and it has been over a month I have been using that. My doctor just keeps telling me to be patient and give it more time. First two more weeks, then 5 more weeks now two more months. I am so frustrated. i can't read close up or distance. I requested a prescription to get glasses again to get me through and I can't see out of them 95% of the time either. My doctor says I might need a tweak but we need to wait until my eyes stabilize but how do they expect you to live your life until then. I can't read, or drive, or paint or pay bills or do almost anything I did before. I just wish they would have told me the truth. I am terrified I will be stuck this way. Do I now trust my doctor NO, do I get another opinion? I have no idea what to do. I had to drop on online college class, my painting class, my social groups. This is by far the worst decision I have done in my 57 years. Anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome, I am almost afraid to ask? I can't even grab a pair of glasses and put them on to see. I have to hit the CTRL key and the + key and blow up my screen so large to even be on the computer. To those that are considering this, please read, read and do more research. I for on would never advise anyone to do this again. And I know, I have read how you have to be "patient" because you are healing. But try sitting starring at the walls for over two months and see how patient you are. Any advise is greatly appreciated !
Hi I hope things improve for you, I know how desperate you must feel. I had Lasik done 12 months ago (aged 59) with a very high prescription and suffered badly from dry eyes. Also had problems seeing anything close up. Unfortunately, the doctors do gloss over the period it takes to recover, for some it may well be quick but for others it can be a long process. Initially I could do nothing, Watching TV was too difficult, I could not use the computer or drive. I became very depressed. 12 months on, things are very much better. I still have dry eyes and need to take drops but not as frequently as before ( now roughly every three/four hours during the day. At the start it was every half hour and I was in still in pain) and it is a lot better than it was and I am now able to get on with my life. For me it was a slow process and I would have to say that I saw very little improvement for the first 8 months and it has really only been in the last three that I have noticed real improvements. A nurse who had also had eye laser surgery informed me that for her it took nearly 24 months before she fully healed! At two/nine months, I would have said that it was the worst decision that I ever made but now I am starting to feel a lot more positive over it. Consider using: heated eye gel pads, particularly before sleeping. Also consider having temporary plugs inserts, this will help retain tears drops. You will read some real horror stories on the web pages and regrettably some people do not improve but most do over time. This industry does need to be better regulated to provide people with all the facts and the real risks in having this surgery however for you and I that is too late and you need to accept that it could be many months before you truly get your life back to how it was. Good Luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merville For This Useful Post:
john4822 (05-24-2013), tchad111 (05-14-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
(male)

john4822 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merville View Post
Hi I hope things improve for you, I know how desperate you must feel. I had Lasik done 12 months ago (aged 59) with a very high prescription and suffered badly from dry eyes. Also had problems seeing anything close up. Unfortunately, the doctors do gloss over the period it takes to recover, for some it may well be quick but for others it can be a long process. Initially I could do nothing, Watching TV was too difficult, I could not use the computer or drive. I became very depressed. 12 months on, things are very much better. I still have dry eyes and need to take drops but not as frequently as before ( now roughly every three/four hours during the day. At the start it was every half hour and I was in still in pain) and it is a lot better than it was and I am now able to get on with my life. For me it was a slow process and I would have to say that I saw very little improvement for the first 8 months and it has really only been in the last three that I have noticed real improvements. A nurse who had also had eye laser surgery informed me that for her it took nearly 24 months before she fully healed! At two/nine months, I would have said that it was the worst decision that I ever made but now I am starting to feel a lot more positive over it. Consider using: heated eye gel pads, particularly before sleeping. Also consider having temporary plugs inserts, this will help retain tears drops. You will read some real horror stories on the web pages and regrettably some people do not improve but most do over time. This industry does need to be better regulated to provide people with all the facts and the real risks in having this surgery however for you and I that is too late and you need to accept that it could be many months before you truly get your life back to how it was. Good Luck
did you have glare, halo and starburst at night? do u still see them now? I am waiting for my halo, glare to disappear, so far, I am one month post op and I haven't noticed any improvement in halo and glare. I would love to hear your feedback about halo and glare you experienced. thanks

Old 05-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
(female)

tchad111 HB User

I am now almost three months out and still have the glare and the halos. I also can't see with or without glasses most days. It is very depressing. My doctor says as soon as we get my eyes to "stabilize" he will do a tweak. At this point I am not sure I trust him. I go back every month and have my vision checked and it is never the same from one month to the next. I am using 2.00 reading glasses right now and everything is blurry. This is the single worst decision I have made in my life. Do you mind if I age your age? I am curious if the results are worst after 40 or not. It seems there are far more people out there having trouble than the doctors admit there are. Good luck to you. I hope your experience is better than mind.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
(male)

Merville HB User

Quote:
I am now almost three months out and still have the glare and the halos. I also can't see with or without glasses most days. It is very depressing. My doctor says as soon as we get my eyes to "stabilize" he will do a tweak. At this point I am not sure I trust him. I go back every month and have my vision checked and it is never the same from one month to the next. I am using 2.00 reading glasses right now and everything is blurry. This is the single worst decision I have made in my life. Do you mind if I age your age? I am curious if the results are worst after 40 or not. It seems there are far more people out there having trouble than the doctors admit there are. Good luck to you. I hope your experience is better than mind.
Hi, I had Halos, glare and starbursts to keep my dry eyes company after LASIK! Initially the halo effect appeared in daylight as well the night giving people and objects a halo around them. Glare and starbursts was bad enough to prevent me from driving in the evening as I deemed it too dangerous. For me the halo effect started to improve after around three months and was no longer a problem after circa 6 months. I still have issues with glare and starburst at night but it is no where near as bad as it was and I am now content to drive again at night. It has now been 12 months since my LASIK and I not sure if the glare/startbursts will ever get reduce to pre-lasik days, but I would have to say that aspect is not a major issue any longer for me. I do need reading glasses +2 but I was warned about this prior to the op. Initially my short vision was terrible, everything was a blur within 6 feet but again this has improved a lot over the 12 months too and I can see without glasses close objects and use the glasses for sharpness. But as I am now just turned 60 I assume reading glasses would have eventually been needed anyway. As previously stated I believe the recovery period is much, much longer than the industry is willing to admit too and longer term issues do effect some. Stronger laws need to be put in place to provide people with all the facts and risks to allow an educated decision to be made. Regrettably we all accepted the hype and went ahead, excuse the pun, with our eyes shut! At three months I was desperate and deeply depressed but at 12 months I am much more positive although I still have issues with dryness but again no where near as bad as it was at 3 and 6 months.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
(male)

john4822 HB User

Quote:
I am 24 years old, I think the results are better when you are young. don't quote me on that. Right now, I am also going through depression and anxiety since my surgery. I was thinking, can we do sue these doctor even though we signed the consent form? If we sue the doctor, do we have a chance of winning?

Last edited by Administrator; 05-27-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Closed Thread