It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 74
FiChna HB User
Unhappy my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

maybe someone here could give advice what my family can do.

my sister is 6 years old and has somesort of learning disability but the school system will not help or do anything yet because she is 6. they told my mother they don't usually act until a child is 8 years old. by then it will be too late. she already stayed back in kindergarden once and still does not know her ABCs or numbers. because she doesn't know them it will be impossible for her to begin reading or anything else. my mom sits down with her everynight, reads with her and so forth but nothing is clicking. if anything my sister ends up getting frustrated and doesn't even want to do the work.

my mom has called all sorts of doctors to get her anaylized and as it turns out my sister's IQ is slightly below normal but other than that they said nothing else can be done for now. and like i said by the time someone acts it will be too late. she can't stay in kindergarden forever. currently the only help my sister has gotten was from the private school she attends which is giving her after school tutoring-the local public schools refused to even offer that although a doctor tried to convince my mom to take my sister out of private school to get her help. which clearly is not what would have happened.

my mom has done some research on my sisters symptoms and belives that she is dyslexic but isn't sure since no one else will help out.

we live in NY. can someone give me advice on what to do next? thanks

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Mara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

She needs to have a full evaluation if she has not had one already. If they are telling your mother they don't *usually* act until a child is eight I would press the issue with them to intervene and consider your sisters case now because of the obvious trouble she is having. Tax dollars go into programs. You are right-on to not delay. Why do they say- nothing can be done for now? There are specialists who test for learning disabilities and you should not have to wait for her to get help/therapy now. I was taken to Hofstra when I was 9. They evaluated and administered many tests. I went to a private elementary school. There was more available in public school. Check that avenue again and make sure she is not losing out on assistance. Talk to that doctor and discuss your concerns with him. Ask him why he thinks she should change schools.

ps: How is her hearing?

 
Old 12-08-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 74
FiChna HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
She needs to have a full evaluation if she has not had one already. If they are telling your mother they don't *usually* act until a child is eight I would press the issue with them to intervene and consider your sisters case now because of the obvious trouble she is having. Tax dollars go into programs. You are right-on to not delay. Why do they say- nothing can be done for now? There are specialists who test for learning disabilities and you should not have to wait for her to get help/therapy now. I was taken to Hofstra when I was 9. They evaluated and administered many tests. I went to a private elementary school. There was more available in public school. Check that avenue again and make sure she is not losing out on assistance. Talk to that doctor and discuss your concerns with him. Ask him why he thinks she should change schools.

ps: How is her hearing?

hi thanks for answering
no her hearing and vocabulary is excellent and so is her vision. she just doesn't regonized letters or numbers and my mom has called NUMEROUS places seeking out help. she got 1 evaluation already which told us she had below normal intelligence and the person administering the test said that alothough she is below normal she is not low enough to be considered a immediate problem. the person then went on to tell my mom that she should keep working with her which is what my mom has been doing since the child was 4 years old.

the reason why my sister is in private school is because they were the only ones offering to give her tutoring and extra help. my mom was ready to send her to public school but the teachers said that they do not send children to special programs or give after school help until they are 8. so its clear that we cannot wait till she is 8 for her to learn her letters or numbers. so it is clear in this case that public schools are NOT offering more to help her.

then i should also say that a few places my mother called didn't even take her concerns seriously cause my sister is so young. i remember my mom took my sister to one place and had to tell the worker to stop playing with my sister and do the evulation thoroughly. apparently my sisters being gorgeous means that there is nothing wrong with her in some people's eyes. after that my mom got a second opinion-which is where we learned that she has below average iq.

otherthan that we will continue to follow up on this issue but its really frustrating that no one will even take this seriously because she is only 6. i also have a 4 yr old brother and he knows more ABC and letters than my sister-which is causing the situation to become even more embarassing.

i should also say that my sister has no problems writing her name her siblings name, repeating her address, or copying letters. but when you ask her to write down the letters she gets confused and when you show her a letter she doesn't know what it is.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to FiChna For This Useful Post:
justmechele78 (02-11-2011)
Old 12-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 99
Bob2 HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

FineChyna

I don't know if the experience we had with my daughter will help you or not. My daughter was in kindergarten, when we discovered she had a problem. She was in a parochial school, which had very little to offer her, so I went to the local public school to get help. The LD program at the school was very good and they agreed to evaluate her. The type of testing they did was inconclusive. I did not accept this and looked for another way to test her. I live in northern Virginia and the Children's Hospital of the District of Columbia had a satellite office near Fairfax Hospital that did testing of children for learning disabilities. They did a far more thorough set of tests and my daughter tested as having a severe problem known as a speech processing delay. I got the test results and took them to the local school and they agreed to accept her into the LD program. As a result, she went through the Fairfax County Public System for her primary education. This all happened more than about 16 years ago. My daughter is now in college and doing well.

It does not seem to me that your sister has been fully evaluated. I would not accept that she has a low IQ based on partial testing. I believe my daughter has an above average IQ, but if I had accepted partial testing, she would have been known as a person with a low IQ all of her life. My belief is supported by the fact that she does well in school, even though she has to compensate for her learning disability. A child with a learning disability can not be tested for intelligence in the same manner as a child that does not have a learning disability. The biggest thing that my daughter had going for her is she worked very hard at her studies. Even when she got headaches from it, she keep on working.

Self esteem is the most important thing to give a child with learning disabilities. I praised what ever my daughter did correctly, from the smallest thing to the biggest thing. I constantly encouraged her that she could do the thing she was working on. I also tried to instill in her the feeling that every person should have about the fact that they are a unique person, who deserves to be listened to and loved because of that uniqueness.

The most important thing is to get your sister properly tested. If the test results show severe learning disabilities, the school system must accept her into a LD program. It is Federal Law that they must. Your mother can force the issue.

I know this is long winded, but I feel very strongly that every child who needs help should get it.

Last edited by Bob2; 12-28-2003 at 12:50 PM.

 
Old 12-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Posts: 7
MichyChris HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

your right do not wait to get help for your sister. My mom had to fight and fight to get me the help i needed. it wasn't until i reached the second grade that they said yes well she dose have more delays then we thought and put me into special education. my mom knew since i was in kindergarden that i needed help for i was not even able to reconize my own name. I have what is now called mild intectual delay which means my iq is only slighlty below the norm. I now can read and write at a grade 6 level but it gets me by. don't let them wait as long as they did with me. my mom was told that if i got the help earlier i would proble be reading and writting a bit higher and i wouldn't had the problems i hade with my self esteem.

michelle

 
Old 01-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 74
FiChna HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2
FineChyna

I don't know if the experience we had with my daughter will help you or not. My daughter was in kindergarten, when we discovered she had a problem. She was in a parochial school, which had very little to offer her, so I went to the local public school to get help. The LD program at the school was very good and they agreed to evaluate her. The type of testing they did was inconclusive. I did not accept this and looked for another way to test her. I live in northern Virginia and the Children's Hospital of the District of Columbia had a satellite office near Fairfax Hospital that did testing of children for learning disabilities. They did a far more thorough set of tests and my daughter tested as having a severe problem known as a speech processing delay. I got the test results and took them to the local school and they agreed to accept her into the LD program. As a result, she went through the Fairfax County Public System for her primary education. This all happened more than about 16 years ago. My daughter is now in college and doing well.

It does not seem to me that your sister has been fully evaluated. I would not accept that she has a low IQ based on partial testing. I believe my daughter has an above average IQ, but if I had accepted partial testing, she would have been known as a person with a low IQ all of her life. My belief is supported by the fact that she does well in school, even though she has to compensate for her learning disability. A child with a learning disability can not be tested for intelligence in the same manner as a child that does not have a learning disability. The biggest thing that my daughter had going for her is she worked very hard at her studies. Even when she got headaches from it, she keep on working.

Self esteem is the most important thing to give a child with learning disabilities. I praised what ever my daughter did correctly, from the smallest thing to the biggest thing. I constantly encouraged her that she could do the thing she was working on. I also tried to instill in her the feeling that every person should have about the fact that they are a unique person, who deserves to be listened to and loved because of that uniqueness.
The most important thing is to get your sister properly tested. If the test results show severe learning disabilities, the school system must accept her into a LD program. It is Federal Law that they must. Your mother can force the issue.

I know this is long winded, but I feel very strongly that every child who needs help should get it.
hi thanks for your answer. just to clarify some points:

first off as i stated in other posts, despite what people think of private schools at this juncture my sister is still there because they are the only ones that offered to give her the additional help she needed and have help come in. my mother went to the public school first as soon as she realized that something was amiss and she was told my sister is too young for help and unless she showed sever problems they wouldn't not allow her in a program until 2nd grade. this is what the school district told us. 2nd grade is too late to wait for help so she remains in public school. i know every area is different but this is what we were given to work with. some other people told my mom to take her out of private school, BUT IF PUBLIC SCHOOL IS UNWILLING TO HELP BECAUSE SHE IS A K, WHY SHOULD WE WAIT? THAT MAKES LITTLE SENSE. and thats why she is in private school. so unless she shows severe enough problems she will continue to be behind until the school allows her in a program. you may say it doesn't sound "right" or is against the law but as of now those are the rules here. her "disability" is not considered severe enough to warrant the extra help.

the IQ test was only one of the exams given. i don't know what else she had done but she went to 2 seperate testing areas through the school district and a local hospital and will be given a 3rd test soon. so far they are unsure how to pinpoint what is wrong maybe because she is so young. according to the doc the only think that is certain is that her IQ is slightly below normal for those her age although you would never know it. my sister is an A class social butterfly, has excellent vocab, and good peminship for a child her age.

 
Old 01-02-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 99
Bob2 HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

FineChyna

It sounds like my daughter had a more severe problem than your sister, because she had vocabulary problems as well as the speech processing delay. For anyone who might be reading this who wants to know what a speech processing delay is; It shows up when children are given tasks to do that have multiple instructions. My daughter was still concentrating on the first instruction, when the second instruction was given. Therefore, she did not even hear the second instruction because she was still mentally working on understanding the first instruction.

Here in Virginia, the only reason a child is held back in kindergarten is they are not capable of paying attention to tasks for a certain length of time. Perhaps your mother should have her evaluated for attention deficit disorder.

If your sister gets frustrated, when your mother is working with her each night, maybe she should do it for a shorter length of time. What I did with my daughter was get very small childrens books from the library and read one to her each night at bed time. I did that from the time she was in kindergarten until she was about 12 years old. She looked forward to going to bed each night because of the book reading. By the time I stopped doing the reading, we must have read over 2,000 of the little childrens books.

Something else to think about is that your sister can not be forced to catch up to her grade level by more work. Your mother should pick some small thing that needs work and work on that one thing for a short time each day until she gets it pretty well. If she is forced for too long a period of time, she will be turned off by school work and never want to do it.

My daughter would have only one break through in being able to do something well in a year's time in her lower grades. She did not really take off with reading near grade level until the completion of fourth grade. The important thing is to never give up on her and always try to make her feel good about herself.

 
Old 01-05-2004, 02:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 658
Redhead23 HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

Sounds like Dyslexia to me if her other functions are fine, dyslexia is fairly common and even in the early Eighties when I was in school in Switzerland (when hardly any other learning disabilities were screened for or diagnosed unless you showed VERY severe problems) dyslexic students were diagnosed and helped, so it is very disconcerting to see a school just ignoring these obvious signs "because she is too young"!

She needs a proper evaluation done ASAP as she may need support (for example someone to read out the instructions to her etc.) in order to get through school without falling behind.
__________________
25, female, AS with attentional dysfunction

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 01-05-2004 at 02:19 AM.

 
Old 01-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 74
wubbogirl HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

The disorder is called apraxia. I would call your's sister's pediatrician and ask for a referral for a psychologist. They may administer some neuropsych testing. The testingis usually not covered by insurance. Where in New York are you guys from. I use to work as a referral coordinator in a pediatrician's office and that office is participating in a huge ADD/ADHD study.

 
Old 01-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
aardvarklips HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

i have a quick question. when your mom teaches her a word does she get it for the first 2 times and then has no idea what it is? then maybe after working with her for a week or so she can remember it. but the week after nothing?

 
Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 AM   #11
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 74
FiChna HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

hi, thanks for all the responses....

i do finally have an update: a hospital is going to put my sister through a series of test and we will FINALLY have the answer(s) to what is preventing her from learning.

someone mentioned that my sister might be dyslexic. my mother has suspected that but since she is not a health professional, she was not sure. she mentioned it to a few "professionals" and they for whatever reason never followed through.

believe me when i say: its hard when you have a kindergardner to get help especially when you kid doesn't have sever problems because everyone wants to point the finger at the parents. my mother sits for HOURS with my sister daily and some people have actually tried to say that it was my mother's fault that my sister wasn't learning.

another problem that has prevented us from pinpointing what is going on is because my sister is adopted. we didn't find out recently that her biological mother has some serious problems until recently.

but thanks to everyone that has responded to this thread. it was/is appreciated

 
Old 01-18-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NY, NY USA
Posts: 74
FiChna HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarklips
i have a quick question. when your mom teaches her a word does she get it for the first 2 times and then has no idea what it is? then maybe after working with her for a week or so she can remember it. but the week after nothing?
i think my mom tells her more like 5 times and makes her repeat what she said and 2 seconds later my sister has no memory of what she just said. there are other times where 1 day my sister knows something like a word or letter and then the next day she doesn't know it

 
Old 02-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Posts: 4
greatwhitenorth HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineChyna
i think my mom tells her more like 5 times and makes her repeat what she said and 2 seconds later my sister has no memory of what she just said. there are other times where 1 day my sister knows something like a word or letter and then the next day she doesn't know it

That sounds like my 8 year old daughter. They have since diaginosed her with having no short term rote sequential memory. Try as she may she cannot remember anything that she is suppose to. Such as the Dolch words that are given to the children here in grades one or two, to help them with reading. Maybe you should inquire about this as well.

Good luck

 
Old 03-04-2004, 07:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 777
delrae4753 HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

these schools and school board have a program called no child left behind for children with learning disabilities my grandchild has been in special ed since she was 5 so the school is lying to you go to your school board and talk to the department that handles special education for children with learning problems you have the right to have this done bug and bug them dont let them get away with this .
__________________
To live my life to its fullest and to put all my trust in God.

Last edited by delrae4753; 03-04-2004 at 07:40 PM.

 
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: tampa, florida usa
Posts: 19
nessa62873 HB User
Re: my sisters has a learning disability but no1 will help her!

i would defently contact the supervisor of the special education program in the area if no help then contact the school board my daughter had been in school since the age of 3 and they do testing and help kids like your sister they have the program called no child left behind if they don't follow through then i would contact your congressman in your area about that hope this helps

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
wondering if I have learning disability or something else cloggedme352 Learning Disorders 6 05-01-2010 08:06 AM
possible learning disability or just ADHD? collegekid3 ADD / ADHD 12 12-12-2009 08:19 PM
does my son have a learning disability wessier28 Learning Disorders 1 01-22-2009 12:42 AM
Learning disability. babydiva Learning Disorders 11 08-19-2007 02:02 PM
How do I know my son has learning disability saifrush Learning Disorders 8 02-25-2007 02:56 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!