It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #1

DaniLou HB User
Question What exactly does this sound like?

-I can't sit down for more than ten minutes. I fall asleep, but cross my eyes to try to stay awake,if I am trying to concentrate on something that I don't want to and I do this and something scares me, my whole body shakes like I am having a seizure for no more than one second.
-I can't read whole paragraphs and understand their meaning and comprehend their thoughs, yet I have no problems writing out papers as long as I can choose the topic, and it on my own train of thougt.
-I find it hard to come up with the right words to use, and usually make myself sound stupid if I use the wrong words.

I am afraid to admit this to anyone in person, but does anyone know what exactly this is? I have been tested for ADD, and I don't have it.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User
Re: What exactly does this sound like?

Have you been to a neurologist to rule out seizure activity or neurological problems? A neuro might be able to get you a consult with a neuropsychologist if no disorders are diagnosed. Good luck. My daughter has learning disabilities and she has seizures. It truly doesn't sound like a seizure disorder to me...but it can't hurt to get checked out for any type of neurological disorder.
Lindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Seizures, Dyslexia and word retrieval problems spring to mind.

You're definitely gonna have to get this checked out if seizures are involved!

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 03-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

princessputter HB User

anexity attacks or panic attacks...is a possibility... best of luck

They saw a child "in a world of his own". I see the most the most brilliant star. They saw a child "who may never speak". I see a gift that didn't need words. They saw a child with "limited possibility". I see a child, my child, who can soar past the sky.

mommy to Ryan and countless foster children...

Old 03-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #5

DaniLou HB User

Close guesses y'all...(saw the doctor yesterday) it's Asperger's. Thanks for all of your ideas on what it may be.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

wow, I never would have guessed that one...I don't know much about Aspergers, but I hope you find the answers you need.
lindy

Old 03-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #7

jcat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniLou
Close guesses y'all...(saw the doctor yesterday) it's Asperger's. Thanks for all of your ideas on what it may be.
I am pleased that you know what is wrong. There was a program about a boy who had Asbergers syndrome. When he wore glasses with coloured glass he was able to walk in a straight line. His case sounds like it is more severe than yours if he finds it difficult to walk in a straight line. He was always on the computer. Do you have something that you do all the time, a sort of hobby, but its more than that, because you are doing it all the time.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

You sound like my niece (who has been diagnosed with PDD). She's 13 now, and has progressed quite nicely with a lot of effort from her parents/school and professional psychiatry assessments. It's been a long 13 years, but I did believe she had autism before age 3. She doesn't remember her life before a few years ago (when she started "functioning").

Her OCD is evident, she has little ticks, shudders and zones out when anxious, but she is bright in her areas of interest. She knows and recognises when she's "shutting down from overload".

I'm happy for you to have a diagnosis. There's much information on Asberger's Syndrome.....there are many people who have it and are never diagnosed -- they they know there is something "different" about themselves. The distress in feeling that can alter their perception and quality of life.

I'm wondering if my neice actually has Asberger's, but it seems to me that she was "tested" for it.

How was it found that you have Asberger's? I'm very interested to know the process.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 04-13-2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Quincy - Asperger's Disorder *is* a PDD.

If the diagnosis of PDD-NOS was given, this means that she has an evident pervasive developmental disorder, but does not fulfil the criteria for a specific PDD, such as autism, Asperger's, Rhett's Syndrome or degenerative childhood disorder.

Characteristics of AS include impairment in the "triad of impairments" characteristic for autism (Social interaction, Communication and Imagination), with social interaction being the most severely affected, and communication being far less affected than with autism.

Language development is usually normal (unlike with autism) without significant or severe delays, and very intense preoccupations with specific subjects, on which the child learns a lot of facts and tends to talk incessantly about, is very characteristic for AS.

Communication styles are often odd and one-sided, but more "productive" and flexible than in autism, with echolalia very rare.

Hyperlexia is also very common in AS, as are clumsiness, odd tone of voice and unusual (but more active than with autism) social approaches.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi Redhead23,

Oh, yes I know that AS is a PDD. You are correct that she was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I just read a few things on AS and I can see a few differences, yet many similarities.

The clumsiness, odd tone of voice and unusual social approaches are definitely her. She's great with adults, but isn't an incessant talker. She does a line or two from a movie that she really can relate to for whatever reason, and it will come out spontaneously with a big laugh from her (the one-sided conversations she finds amusing). She's blunt in her comments, slowly motivated and has many rotton-feeling days where she can sleep all day. Her moods are up and down (but I can relate to that part)

She knows she's different, would really love to have a "friend" and do "friend stuff"....but she doesn't like the same stuff that they like..so that's a problem. She's accepted it and like I said has come such a long way (it's been a long very rough 13+ years).

What I find interesting is the type of movies she doesn't like. They're the ones with all the hidden meanings..the one she hated most of all was "Finding Nemo". But, one needs experience to understand the connections.

She definitely knows what she likes and is clear on that. All things Hawaii and Lilo and Stitch are the latest. I'm really proud of her because it's clear to see her growth and her maturity in all that mental and emotional chaos. She's also taught herself to crochet and has created her own stitch.

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Thanks for the info,
quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-13-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

I was 25 when I was diagnosed. I am an only child and most of my relatives have AS traits, so in spite of trouble in school (I was always a good student, although my comprehension lagged behind, but had a lot of social trouble) and utter lack of friends until age 16, I was never seriously referred anywhere other than for physiotherapy (posture etc.).

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 04-15-2004 at 12:34 AM.

Closed Thread