It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2004, 05:49 AM   #1

Paine HB User
Math disorder?

Does a math disorder even exist?

Because I strongly feel that I have some kind of math dyslexia or other problem in my brain when it comes to math.

All my life I've had trouble with math. When I was 4 I took a test and I was "beyond my years" smart in every single subject except math. I was pretty much retarded in that area. And it remains that way even now. I graduated high school with a 3.8 magna *** laude, and I go to college and can get A's in everything with relative ease.

But for some reason, I just cannot do math at all. I really really try (when in other subjects I don't need to try at all), but I just cannot compute anything. In college one of the requirements is remedial math, Math 100. I've taken this course 3 times now and I've been with tutors, took extensive notes, read the book, took practice exams, and still, I can't get any grade higher than an "D-."

Anyway, this is extremely depressing me, to the point of suicide. I cannot graduate college bc I cannot pass that class (you need at least a C for it to count). My life is at a standstill. I feel that I am worthless bc I cannot do math which to everybody else is no problem at all.

If anybody knows anything about a math disorder existing, I'd really like to hear about it.

Old 03-21-2004, 06:29 AM   #2
Inactive

little726 HB User
Re: Math disorder?

Yes, Paine, there is a math disorder called dyscalculia (math dyslexia). I've had the same problem all my life. I can't do anything with numbers unless I use a calculator. I always thought it was "me". But I found out it is a learning disability. I read where it is more common in females. Check this website out dyscalculia.org. It has loads of information on this disorder. Good luck, Robin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #3

Paine HB User

Thank you so much for that!

It's such a relief to know that such a thing exists. I've always thought something is definitely wrong with me, and that it's much more than just a math mental block. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only person in the world who has this level of issues with math.

I guess now all I have to do is somehow try to see if I really do have dyscalculia. If I can get it diagnosed and if treatment exists for it, that would be excellent. Even if I just get it diagnosed and there is no treatment for it, at least that might help legitimize my problem and maybe even get me out of my Math 100 requirement. Anyway, thanks again, you've made my day.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:32 AM   #4

Sandson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine

Because I strongly feel that I have some kind of math dyslexia or other problem in my brain when it comes to math.

All my life I've had trouble with math. When I was 4 I took a test and I was "beyond my years" smart in every single subject except math. I was pretty much retarded in that area. And it remains that way even now. I graduated high school with a 3.8 magna *** laude, and I go to college and can get A's in everything with relative ease.

But for some reason, I just cannot do math at all. I really really try (when in other subjects I don't need to try at all), but I just cannot compute anything. In college one of the requirements is remedial math, Math 100. I've taken this course 3 times now and I've been with tutors, took extensive notes, read the book, took practice exams, and still, I can't get any grade higher than an "D-."

Anyway, this is extremely depressing me, to the point of suicide. I cannot graduate college bc I cannot pass that class (you need at least a C for it to count). My life is at a standstill. I feel that I am worthless bc I cannot do math which to everybody else is no problem at all.

If anybody knows anything about a math disorder existing, I'd really like to hear about it.
Paine:

I know that when I was going through my undergrad years math for me was a trip. Fourtuantely, I got a better understanding of math by conceptualizing math problems using manipulatives (hands on). Basically, I had to analyze the problems and break it down more, put my anxiety aside and attempt to get more rest.
Whatever you do, don't give in or give up. I read some where that problems with math corespond with the lack of rest.-I guess there is some validity to the article I read. Hang in there!

Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Inactive

little726 HB User

You are very welcomed, Paine. Good luck on getting excused from math class. Robin

Old 03-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User

I discovered that I have dyslexia, but didn't find that out until I was in my early 30's. Finding this out explained A LOT. I had a hard time learning to read when I was in grade 1. I lagged behind and the teacher would come to my house and tutor me. I've always had trouble with numbers, only I didn't realize it was a learning disability. I just thought I was stupid when it came to numbers. I loved physics in high school, but it was my down fall. I just couldn't comprehend those huge numbers that physics deals with; or the complex formulas.

Now that I know of my problem, I am able to compensate for it. I learned to calculate things a different way (left to right instead of right to left), which has helped. At work when having to do a math calculation, I always get someone to double check it with me.

There is hope for you Before I went back to school for the job I'm in now, I used to work as a secretary and part of the job involved book keeping. It wasn't easy, but I managed. I spent a bit more time calculating things out than someone else would have without a learning disability, but I managed to do them right So just because you have a math problem, doesn't mean that you are excluded from jobs that involve math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine

Old 05-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #7

jaybee77 HB User

I am so happy I found this thread. I have ALWAYS had a problem with all forms of math, especially algebra. I always felt that the numbers, letters, etc. just looked all jumbled up, making no sense to me. EVen after being explained in full detail to me, equations made no sense. I felt as if though I had the mathematic equivalent of dyslexia. I asked around, got a few chuckles, and nobody ever seemed to hear of such a thing.

Shoot, even simple math tasks annoy me. Even adding. Now, I'm not saying that I can't do simple calculations, but I seem to take longer than most. Take for example, the game of blackjack. It takes me a good few seconds to calculate my when when I get dealt a new card. I'm not sure if this would have anythig to do with the rest of my math problems, but it just seems that when numbers exist, my mind cannot concentrate on them and I lose the thought process easily.

I've always wanted to finally "get it" with math, like a light bulb going on inside my head. I hope that maybe one day it will. :-)

Old 05-31-2004, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Hey hon, i will be 50 this july and all my life i have had trouble with MATH. Thing is way back then when i was in elementary school, there wasnt any type of testing done or help for disorders at my school. You either fell into the retard, sorry, slow group or the other group. I did very well in everything else. I could spell frontwards and backwards, lol, but math, heck i had problems with even the easiest tasks. Still DO. So i was always in the high group BUT always struggled with the math and always got very low scores on it.
You know those tests where they say start at 100 and subtract seven from that and keep going?? uhm i got to 93, then 86 and then it was like and !! Honestly that was ME, still is hon. I even worked at an elementary school as secretary for close to 10 yrs. and actually did quite well in hiding the fact i could not do math. So, youre not alone sweetie.
Jen

Last edited by Jenetti; 05-31-2004 at 03:26 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #9

nicegirl_07 HB User

Where can I find a screening for this math disorder?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
Inactive

llw03c HB User

math disorder??? this is the first time i've heard of anything like this. i've heard of math anxiety. if such a thing did exist, i'd believe that about 90% of the people who thought they had it probably don't. math is not easy for the most part, but with the right study habits, getting the min. req. is doable. if you have "beyond your years" intelligence but struggle in math i'm 100% sure its your study habits. the problem is that people teach math but they don't teach how to study math. this is where the problem is. i broke this down to a science and have had great results.

Old 08-14-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

This is really interesting,as i have had a huge problem with math for what feels like my entire life!I was always good in all of my other subjects while in schol but, oh my god, when it came to doing like any type of math, i just drew a blank.i was forced to spend every single summer in summer school classes for math and it never ever helped.Up until now,and reading this, I attributed my math problems to a rather severe head injury i had sustained when in the third grade.I was unconcious for approx 72 hours as I suffered a rather severe concussion.i was finally told by my neurologist a few years ago that my math problems could very well been caused by the brain injury.It just seemed so wierd as I had no other deficits and did very well in all my other classes but damn, that math has always been a real pain to have to deal with.This makes me feel at least a little better about things now.Thanks Marcia

Old 08-19-2004, 01:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

I have recently discovered that I have Dyscalculia as well. It's fairly common in Asperger's but because I LIKE maths I never thought I could have it. When I read the criteria I nearly fainted.

For me, it's not just maths (especially mental arithmetic and anything slightly complex) but the ability to estimate (lengths, amounts, distances, time etc.) and to memorise numbers, formulas and mathematical concepts as well as dates, spatial/geographical information, links between images and words/numbers etc. for any significant amount of time.

I'd usually practice like mad when I had grasped a new concept (like in arithmetics, which I actually enjoyed) and figured the mechanics of it (usually without having a clue about the underlying principles) and often did OK to even really well in exams.

But within days I'd forget how to do these things and when the subject came up next (in a different context) everyone, even the really bad students, would normally still remember the material and know how to do it while for me it was like I had never known it. I genuinely had to learn these things from scratch, no amount of recap or triggering brought the skills back!

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 08-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #13

nicegirl_07 HB User
Question Re: Math disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead23
I have recently discovered that I have Dyscalculia as well. It's fairly common in Asperger's but because I LIKE maths I never thought I could have it. When I read the criteria I nearly fainted.

For me, it's not just maths (especially mental arithmetic and anything slightly complex) but the ability to estimate (lengths, amounts, distances, time etc.) and to memorise numbers, formulas and mathematical concepts as well as dates, spatial/geographical information, links between images and words/numbers etc. for any significant amount of time.

I'd usually practice like mad when I had grasped a new concept (like in arithmetics, which I actually enjoyed) and figured the mechanics of it (usually without having a clue about the underlying principles) and often did OK to even really well in exams.

But within days I'd forget how to do these things and when the subject came up next (in a different context) everyone, even the really bad students, would normally still remember the material and know how to do it while for me it was like I had never known it. I genuinely had to learn these things from scratch, no amount of recap or triggering brought the skills back!
How did you find out that you had this problem? How does anyone go about finding out they have this problem?

Old 08-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Do a search on Google for Dyscalculia and read the symptoms. There are other more general maths learning disabilities but Dyscalculia in particular has very specific symptoms and affects onl specific areas of maths.

Specific strengths and weaknesses on IQ tests and maths assessments can help determine what the exact problem is.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 AM   #15

Paine HB User

Thanks for the input everyone It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one with a BIG problem with math.

Now all I gotta do is go to the doctor and find out how I can get this clinically diagnosed. But wait a minute, is Discalculia a real, genuine disorder that's recognized by the medical community? I sure hope so. I do have math anxiety, and that IS clinically diagnosed (although it's generally looked at as a bs disorder), but I'm sure that Discalculia is more accurate a diagnosis than math anxiety, as I'm sure I wasn't "anxious" when I showed signs of serious math issues as early as age 4. Even today, I'm not exactly anxious when it comes to math. I just get confused, and the numbers get completely jumbled up in my head. The only reason I get anxious is bc I know that if I don't pass Math 100 (this will be my 4th time taking the class), I can't graduate from college.

My family refuses to believe that I have Discalculia, or that such a thing even exists. They're convinced that this is just an excuse for laziness. I really don't think this is the case. I've studied a broad range of subjects (and got A's in everything), and even teached for awhile; I know how to study things. So learning, or "studying the wrong way" isn't the issue for math. I've tried numerous math tutors, books on tape, long studying sessions (which is a lot, since I barely need to study to get A's in other courses), and still cannot get higher than a D-.

I recently heard about Tom Cruise and how he's a spokesman for Dyslexia, bc he overcame it to become a successful actor, and even a pilot. But the thing is (not to put down dyslexia or anything, this is just imo), dyslexia is about words and reading. There are ways to train yourself to memorize ideas and thus memorize the words (when it comes to remembering your lines, etc). But for math, there are no two ways around it; in math there is only one correct answer, and one correct way to get that answer. Imo that's why I think trying to "get over" discalculia is much more difficult that trying to overcome dyslexia. That's why it angers me when my family and friends tell me to just "get over it," and to just "study harder."

I dunno, I may just be babbling incoherently at this point. I'm dizzy from thinking about how much my inability to do math has affected my life (I'll probably never be able to graduate college, cause I can't pass Math 100), and how much ppl refuse to acknowledge that Discalculia really exists.

Closed Thread