It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2004, 02:51 AM   #1

mandi30 HB User
being cruel....

Sorry in advance as im likely to warrble on a bit here lol. Thing is yesterday i feel like my sons school totaly humiliated him, It was sports day and because he has dyspraxia & learning difficulities he's really slow and no good at sports or ene physical activity at all he's only 6 so he still has a whole lotta learning to go.. He was in a few races and came last but when it came to the sack race he was doubly crap at that! He made 2 hops and fell he kinda continued like that the rest of the course but i was proud to bits to see him doing it, Basically the problem being he took that long to finnish that the rest of his class had gotten back to the start and they had a new group of kids ready to start at the line with everyone shouting at him to hurry up and finnish and the PARENTS of the kids were giggling and laughing outloud everytime he fell, I really wanted to smack the lot of them in the mouth and ask them how would they like it if i pee'd myself laughing at theyre little sh*ts!! Afterwards he was sitting himself on the bench with noone to play with cos everyone was telling him to get lost i ended up sat in the middle of the playground cuddling him whilst he was sobbing and asking to come home, Obviously had i not been at sports day i wouldnt have seen all this but its totaly broken my heart to think that in this day and age people cant see past a CHILDS disabilities! I had him at an appointment at physio this morning and in the car on the way to school afterwards he begged me not to make him go to school.. I dunno what to do, Obviously im not expecting anyone to give me a magic answer but has ene1 ever been through anything like this with theyre kids and survived?

Mandi x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #2

Zeethan HB User
Re: being cruel....

Well, if anyone laughed at your son, it's on them, some people need to feel superior and make fun of everything and everyone. Since it's now summer and school is out, is there anyway to work with your son on becoming more agile? He just needs to find his niche. How about swimming? Find something that builds his self esteem.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Check with your school to see if they have special education classes or groups. Then they will be with other kids & parents that will be more understanding.

Good luck

Old 07-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #4

senseless HB User

I've been dealing w/ this for years. My child is Bipolar w/ learning disabilities and the SWEETEST kid you would ever want to meet. He's been in special Ed. along w/ regular ed.. bare in mind.. kids are cruel and with that said it doesn't justify anyone being treated like that. My son is 11 and after years of him being tortured by the other kids in the school setting we've finally decided to pull him out of school and homeschool him. He's begging to be pulled out of school. Not only are things tougher on these kids being that they have a learning disability as well as other disabilities, but then they have to deal with the CONSTANT torment on a daily basis by the students and faculty alike (yes, it does happen w/ the faculty too even though they wont admit it). My child is SO RELIEVED that he wont have to endure the panic of all eyes watching him as he attempts his best although to others he's failing.. It's a sad state of affairs how our kids get this kind of treatment. I've been back and fourth w/ the school and schoolboard on this issue and only to be filled w/ empty promises of how things will get better, and how " kids will be kids". All I can say is YOU are you childs only TRUE advocate and it's only YOU who will stand up for him/her. I'm just sorry I didn't think to homeschool sooner. My child's self esteem would have benefited GREATLY by this. Now I'm having to 'undo' the damage caused by putting him in the school system in the first place...
Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

ssborrow HB User

I'm so sorry that happened to your son. It never should have. I would suggest that next year you schedule a conference with his teacher right away and tell her about your concerns. There is no reason for that to happen to anyone, and if the teacher is aware of his past problems she can nip any future problems in the bud.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

have you ever considered homeschooling? There are support groups in every state and lots of information on the internet regarding homeschooling.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #7

swiftymike HB User

Homeschooling may help for a while, but your son is going to have to learn how to deal with people like that at some time. Homeschooling will not prevent this from happening. I am a thrid grade teacher and agree with what SSborrow was saying. If I were you, I would talk to his teacher right away. Express your needs and his needs. Tell the teacher what problems you have had and what you would like to do about them. One of teachers first rules is to create a safe learning environment for all students. If the environment is not safe then the students learning is effected. I have seen students who have had severe learning disabilities and the rest of the class would do anything for them, in a postive way(not a pity way).

Old 09-15-2004, 05:31 AM   #8

mandi30 HB User

Thankyou very much for your replies everyone!!!

An update: He's now changed teacher after going back into primary3(uk) He has a new teacher who is amazing!!! He had her in primary1 and loves her to bits, The kids in his class have also come on amazingly with him and often help him with his work and putting his coat/jumper on correctly, theres still the few who are cruel but i think sometimes his ignorance is bliss! I really feel that it was the lacking of one teacher who i blame totaly for the poor progress he made in primary2 she obviously just wasnt interested enough to be able to deal with my son, That lack of interest means he has wasted a whole year, Im just glad he's away from her class and wont have to have her again as a teacher,

When he started back at school the teacher called me in straight away and we had a meeting to discuss what she needed to do with him and i told her my concerns, I also went to the school and told them what happened on that sports day and they have assured me that it wont happen again, Fingers crossed huh! She also takes him into class 10 mins early in the morning and helps him do his physio excersises, Something else his last teacher refused to do! The school are making progress with funding for learning support for him maybe an extra couple of days and with support from some outside organisations for another few days, So things are deffo looking up!!!! He still dreads going to school but dont most kids? lol

I will personaly NEVER forgive the parents for what they put my family through that day, Kids i can understand will sometimes be cruel but the adults i will never understand, My relationship with them has changed, Where i used to stand in the playground at hometime and chat with them i stand at the gates now and ignore them i dont want to be friends with someone who could do that to a child,

Mandi xxx

Old 09-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Glad to hear that your son is doing better. I have a child with a disability, so I can relate to your problems. It's bad enough when the kids act that way........but like you said, when the adults do it........there is no excuse in the world that could justify their actions. It's adults like those ones that set bad examples for their own children by acting that way..........which many times is the reason that their children act that way.

Best of luck to you and your son.

Closed Thread