It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 06:38 AM   #1

djrsmom HB User
reading upside down

Hi everyone,

I have a friend in my homeschool group who accidentally discovered that her 6 year old son can read a book better upside down rather than right side up. She was writing out a sentence for her other child, when her son, who was sitting across from her, read it back to her. Surprised, she asked him about reading upside down, and he said it didn't know why, but it was easier. She then gave him back his reader that he had just struggle through and asked him to read it upsidedown. He did it with very little effort. She is really stumped by this and I said I would research it out for her. If anyone has ever heard of this, please write back.

Thanks so much!!!

Pat

Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

16mushie HB User
Re: reading upside down

(Wow, nearly 750 people have looked at this thread over the years but not one reply? I hope you see this Pat and I would love an update on your friend's son.)

I have heard of it because I can do it.

I'm in my 40s. Have always been able to read upside down text and at least as fast as reading right side up. I can write and draw upside down characters/images as well. I have a few "funny people" tricks I attribute to my Dyslexia.

And to give your friend hope: I have two university degrees, been published multiple times and run two successful corporations.

M

The Following User Says Thank You to 16mushie For This Useful Post:
bsnyder2376 (05-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
(female)

Holster30 HB User

I am 35 and was found out that I had ADHD last year. I also was a book worm as a child - taught myself to read. But hit a brick wall in college. Was diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia. Did not believe the diagnosis - until 14 years later, I was re-tested and the diagnosis was confirmed. Yes, I had ear problems as a child, but my father , my older brother and his son are Dyslexic. My brother's son has also has ADHD since he was a young child.

To make a generalization regarding these "gifts" puts the wrong ideas into parents heads and can be damaging to a child or someone who is missed along the way.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

serena3 HB User

Hi, I'm new and can't believe you still haven't had any feed back. My son reads better upside down than right way up too. He can't copy from the blackboard and reads quicker and with more understanding in his head (silently) than out loud. He is very bright in math and is ambidextrus (spelling?). He is a clear logical thinker and is very sociable and has no behavioral problems whatsoever, however, he can't find his shoes when they are just in front of him (man thing?)! Problem is, I live in France and learning disorders are way behind the States and England. I too would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
(male)

Joe UK HB User

I just stumbled across this forum after plugging in "Reading upside down" on Google.

I'm 41 years old, and I have been reading upside down for the past 16 years. As a kid, I struggled to read. I had trouble tracing left to right on a page. I would get headaches and would get very frustrated. I was very good in math and spelling, and I read mostly Cliff Notes to get through High School and undergrad college. Up till I was 25, I could count the amount of books read for pleasure on one hand. I must say my vocabulary was horrific.

The day I picked up a magazine upside down and started reading transformed me. It felt easy and natural. Since then, I've completed my masters in engineering with a 4.0/4.0 and my MBA (magna *** laude). I moved from Boston MA to England to run a business unit for a public company. More importantly, I have discovered the joy of reading that has eluded me for half of my life.

I cannot do math upside down, so I'm curious as to how the brain is wired for this. I've been searching for years to find if there is a specific diagnosis for this.

My message to you folks you have kids who do this is not to discourage them. The only downside I've experienced is weird looks from fellow plane passengers )

Love to hear from more,
Joe

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

Sure, I've heard of it! I do it! I also can read right to left!

T. J.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User

I read quicker and with more understanding sighlenly too! I am Dyscalculic and can't do math upsode down or much better right side up! Joe, if you do find out how the brain is wired for this upside-down stuff please let me know!

T. J.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
(male)

jaymemcg HB User
Smile Re: reading upside down

Hi,

My name is Jayme and i'm 18. I can and always have been able to read upside-down. I always took it trivially(spelling?) but recently i've been doing it frequently because its quicker. I'm extremly intelligent when it comes to numbers, sequences and science but spelling and grammer baffel me as you have probablly noticed. I got tested for dsylexia but i dont have it although i believe i have something. All in all you have nothing to worry about although its rare there is nothing wrong with it and most people who can do this kind of thing would be considered part of the intelligensia and have no problem excelling at the highest level in there choosen fields. So your friend need not worry as it is probably a good thing

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've been able to write backwards - like DaVinci - ever since I first tried it in High School. A friend and I would pass notes in class written that way and no one could read them. We just thought it was kind of cool. I can still do it 50 years later. Not sure why but it has never been hard for me to do. And I can do it in cursive as well as print.

Closed Thread