It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 06:42 AM   #1

djrsmom HB User
book looks like it's shaking

Hello again,

I have already posted a message for my friend, however I have a question regarding my own son. He has had many, many struggles with learning through the years. He has been homeschooled and diagnosed with many learning disabilites and ADD (no sustained attention). As he has gotton older, he has been able to explain why it has been so hard to learn to read. He says that it is like someone is slightly shaking the book all of the time when he reads. Also he says that at times the page looks like someone has dropped confetti on the pages and some of the letters or parts of letters are missing.

Has anyone ever heard of this before????

Thanks,

Pat

Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

jlteaches HB User
Lightbulb Re: book looks like it's shaking

Hi! I am a teacher of special education students and I have heard of this before. The majority of my students are LD although, some have dyslexia or the type of reading problems you have explained. Many of my students, when reading aloud or silently, find it helpful to you what are called reading overlays. They are slightly tinted see through papers and they add something "extra" that helps them to stay more focused and it helps them to comprehend more of what they are reading. I don't have the information here about where I got them from, but I think if you type into a search engine "dyslexia" or "dyslexia overlays" , or ask a special education superviosr or teacher in your area you should be able to come up with something to see if it works. The typical "better" colors (more successful colors) are the blue or green. But it does vary from person to person. Good luck to you and I hope that I have been some help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #3

dhunttx HB User
Lightbulb Re: book looks like it's shaking

[I am a school counselor. What you are describing sounds so much like Irlen Syndrome. Go to www.irlen.com for more information. It is similar to dyslexia and often co-exists with dyslexia, but it a separate condition. Please check it out.

Closed Thread