It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 02:51 AM   #1
(female)

MissJean HB User
reading problems!

i have this thing where when i read the book, i dont understand anything of it. even if i read it over and over again. i dont understand it. even if i read it slowly and like read the same pages over and over, i still dont understand it. whats wrong with me!

Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Re: reading problems!

I have that alot, am 28 and last year i had a test for dyslexia, i can read, but not well, half the time i have to read things so many times to understand them it gets me frustrated and so angry with myself, the test confirmed that i have dyslexia, there is no way of treating it (it is not a disease)The dyslexia assosiation was a great help, as i was at college i got the test for fee, if you'r at school you can be tested for free too, if not you can contact them (should be in your local phone book) and they will book you an appointment, i think it costs £100.00 but im not sure. At least you will be able to find out what the problem is, i hope this has been of some help to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
(female)

ssborrow HB User

There are ways to cope with dyslexia. You CAN learn to read. (Comprehension is a main component of reading.)

Old 08-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #4

seawater HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJean
i have this thing where when i read the book, i dont understand anything of it. even if i read it over and over again. i dont understand it. even if i read it slowly and like read the same pages over and over, i still dont understand it. whats wrong with me!

Could it possibly be the book that you are reading? Are you reading for pleasure or school?

Textbooks are the worst. I tried to read this book on physiology and it just wouldn’t sink in no matter how many times I poured over it.

I had the same problem with philosophy of religion; I finally found a book Philosophy of Religion for Dummy’s. It was clear and concise and finally I was able to understand what the writer of my textbook failed to convey.

When I was growing up, I hated reading and I felt stupid. It finally dawned on me years later that I wasn’t stupid. The writers that wrote the books that I was forced to read in school were horrible writers and boring at that.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

It does sound like you have dyslexia. My oldest daughter had the same problem so we would read to her. There are many books at the library on dyslexia and some colleges have resource depts. now. There is help for you!

Old 09-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #6

swiftymike HB User

I think we would need more information to really help. Reading your post I wonder:

What types of books are your reading?
Are there more than 5 words on a page that you do not understand?
How old are you?
Do you use comprehension strategies(questioning, setting goals, summing the text, make connection to other texts, yourself, or the real world, visualize, etc.)
Are you reading in your primary language?
How is your writing? Do you have any problems with writing?
What type of environment do you read in?

Old 09-28-2004, 10:00 AM   #7

aloopner HB User

Hi My son is dyslexia, and we found out very early (by luck of a great 1st grade teacher) He's 9, and has a very hard time reading. He's in title one at school, but we are trying to find others ways to help him. Has only one tried the phonics game? I was thinking of ordering it???

loopner

Closed Thread