It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
(male)

Starter7777 HB User
Can mild LDs be revearsed?

I think I have a mild math disorder, but I think it's ADD,,, but anyway..... Can you practice and eventually build your brain structure in the part it is dysfunctioning? I know the brain can restructure itself to some degree, and from as much practicing as I've been doing, I seem to be getting better, could my brain be revearsing some of the effects of my disorder?

Old 11-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Can mild LDs be revearsed?

Math .... I never inherited the "math gene"! You're obviously learning to compensate for what doesn't come naturally and that would lessen the stress and anxiety associated with it.

I explain it this way.....the first time something is introduced to you there's a file folder created. The next time you have exposure to that information and it's recognised, the folder is opened and a label is put on that folder. Each time new information is given, the folder automatically opens and new info is placed into that folder. Subsequent information is added and has a place to go where it already makes sense. If there's information that goes in that folder, but doesn't make sense....it sits around there in like a sub-category and possibly another folder has to be opened up if there's no match..and on and on.

All those are pathways to information that is already stored (learned), and with new information the brain finds a place to add it to or create a new place for it.

Stress blocks the placement of information and it's like the brain is like a cluttered room......it doesn't know where to go. Learning disorders can be like that as well...but once the information has a place to go, the stress lessens, the "file" starts to open automatically and the information gets stored in a recognised place.

In Math, there are tricks that people learn to recognise how formulas are done, even simple multiplication....once learned, the pathway is opened. Any learning is good for the "grey cells". Some people just have to work harder at having it all make sense.

One thing you may not have considered is that people have tendencies to think in left-brain or right-brain. If you're more of a right-brain thinker, creating ways to learn the information closer to "your way of learning" would be helpful.

Congratulations for working so hard to overcome your learning "disability".

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 11-02-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Can mild LDs be revearsed?

I don't think it can be reversed...you just learn to Compensate.

Closed Thread