It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

onedaisiegal HB User
Angry I know I need an education, but I always fail in school...

I am a hopeless case. I graduated highschool with a C average then I went to a community college and got C's. I worked my way up to a more major university and I can barely make D's. I cant pay attention in class, I am depressed and I can barely get myself out of bed to attend class, I dont care about the material-none of it is interesting to me. Id rather be working earning money then sitting in class.

I cannot take a test for the life of me...I clam up and forget all the information, or the little of it that I memorized. I can't study, I can't read text books that well without losing my concentration.

I cry about this, it upsets me so much because I want an education so badly, and I try so hard to make it work but it is going nowhere but downhill and im getting into HUGE debt. I also have to work 32 hours a week on top of taking 15 credit hours in order to survive and support myself. I am burned out to the core and it kills me to see other students understanding material when I cant. I am pretty, bright,creative, and innovative...but I cannot do textbook work or mathmatics...I hate sitting in lectures, my attention span is so short.

I need some serious help. Ive heard of college not being right for everyone...but do I fall into this category??? Others have also told me that my only problem is that i'm taking too much on and I need to cut it down a lot like to only 2 classes a semester to keep my focus.

Maybe I have a learning disability or ADD or something...I feel like such a failure that I cant make A's and B's like i'm supposed to be doing. This is constantly on my mind, but the more I try to study, the more frusterated and depressed I get.

Should I go to a doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 07:04 AM   #2

ang64063 HB User
Re: I know I need an education, but I always fail in school...

You know it may not hurt to go and see a psychatrist to rule out things like depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.

Old 01-18-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Dont feel that you are a failure, you are asking for help, if you wanted to be a failure you would not be asking (if you get what i mean). I would get an appointment with your doctor and discuss all your problems and fears etc and see if they can help.

My doctor helped me with depression - at the time i was taking major final exams for my future carreer and also organising my wedding, holiday, looking after an elderly gentleman and having no time to myself, he got me back on track - with no drugs, just advise and accupuncture.

Believe me - you can do it

Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

Di12779 HB User

To me it sounds like you have to much on your plate and you need to take a step back. I teach special ed and a lot of what you said did resemble ADD, it may be something to look into being tested for. I think because you have the ability to get c's in what could be considered a "normal" level of education, you should be able to pull it off at the university level only a little at a time. I would look into getting tested first off, then talk to your advisor about cutting back on your work load. It sounds like you are trying to do to much and you are overloading yourself. I see it with my students all the time and the best way to get through it is to break it down into smaller parts. Take one class at a time and see how that goes. One reason it may take you so long to understand things is because you have to much on your mind and you can't concentrate as well as you need to to understand this higher level material. You may find that with only one subject to worry about you have a clearer understanding of the course you are taking. Also, if you find you do have a disability many universities provide services to assist students who need a little extra.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Hi daisies 382 - i was just wandering if you had been to the doctors or arranged anything yet and if so how it went?

Closed Thread