It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

waterspirit HB User
what causes learning disabilities

What causes learning disabilities other then getting it from your parents? Is it like an chemical imbalence or what not? Or have they not found what causes it?

Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: what causes learning disabilities

There are many theories about what causes learning disabilites. I am a teacher of students with Learning Disabilities and I always ask the parents a few questions when a student first comes to me.
Sometimes it is heriditary, not unusal to find a parent or grandparent with a learning disability.
Sometimes is can be a trauma while the mother is pregnant ( mild or more severe- ) or an illness during pregnancy. This can be emotional or physical.
Sometimes is can occured at birth depending on how the birth process went, Some underwieght babies have more disabilites later on in school.
It can emotional if a child is shut down , traumatize, or psychologically affected.
Most times it is unknown.
One of the reasons we do not know that much about it is because the government has not put that much effort into research and has not made an effort to find the causes. There are studies, but not enough to help with many people.
Learning Disabilities can be overcome and/or compensated in other ways through various strengths the individual has. I have seen many of my ex-students grow up into productive adults. Alot of it has to do with parental support and the individual's own inner self-esteem and belief system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

One more thing. Many of my students are learning diabled because one or both parents abused drugs or drank or did not take care of themselves during the pregnancy. I would say I see this the most.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
(female)

waterspirit HB User

Thanks that helps alot.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

BabyLuv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
One more thing. Many of my students are learning diabled because one or both parents abused drugs or drank or did not take care of themselves during the pregnancy. I would say I see this the most.
Im sorry but MOST of the time this isn't the case. My beautiful, angelic son was born with a disability because of a doctor's mistake. I would not like to think anyone would say I caused him to have a learning disorder by drinking and abusing drugs. He is my special angel and I would never do a thing to hurt him, either before birth or after.

Closed Thread