It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

lreynolds42002 HB User
Unhappy Will he ever be back to learning easy again??

Iam raising my 2 grandchildren with my husband since before bith. Thier mom is around sort of I have custody.
My granddaughter is advance and does well in school she is 11. My grandson is the one that Iam worried about. He is 7 almost 8. At 51/2 he had a grandmal seizure. That was in kindergarten wich he was top of the class.
They prescribed valporic acid and it did awful things to him made him mean and tired and didnt want to learn. Took him off 4 months later he had a seizure they put him on lamictal they messed with it a lot 6 months later a seizure thry added amitriptyline made him hallucanate. took him off the amitriptyline lowered the lamictal changed neros . Found out he didnt have epilepsy he had hypoglacimia and didnt need the seizure med. Old nero kept saying kids dont get hypoglacimia or diabetis.
We are now weaning him off the seizure med. take his bloodsugar 6 times a dayeats 6 times a day with a snack at bedtime.
This med ( I think) has caused him to go backwards. He has fought hard to be normal. He has a hardtime staying quiet in class he loves to sing.
He can be a fun happy child but also has a temper. Last year he did fare in school they want him to read 110 words per minute in a book he has never seen no sounding no mistakes with expression. They say all 1 and 2 gradekids should be able to do that. He cant he reads ok but slow his fluency isnt fast.
They dont want to give him extra time. He scores to high for special ed.
he used to be able to count money before and now he has a hard time.
Has anyone ever had a child that had been put on meds that wernt what was really needed and have them recover the lost knowledge?? Its going to take a year to get him off of it.
Will he ever be calm again? Will he have to struggle for the rest of his life?
I thought he may be hyper but they say no and no add.Has anyone else had similar experiances??
Any advise, Iam just hopeing to get him to grade level.
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Re: Will he ever be back to learning easy again??

I cant really advise as never had this happen but i was wandering that if he is now wanting to learn wether you had thought about private home tutoring after school or instead of main stream school, wether this will help him more and he will have no distractions from other members of the class.

I am sorry i couldnt be of any help or tell you that he will be back to learning easy one day but i just wanted to try and help. and see if these options were available for you.

I wish you all the luck with him and think its great that you care so much

Old 02-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Will he ever be back to learning easy again??

Has his doctor tested him for ADHD?
Only with a doctor's collaboration can a teacher of school district answer that question.
While you're wondering what caused this and will he ever get back to where he was, you need to educate yourself on YOUR rights as his legal guardian.
Get him tested for ADHD and learning disabilities if he hasn't been already. His doctor may refer him to a psychologist for that.
Also, is his hypoglycemia under control? If not, this can cause mood swings and "hyperness". You might want to also look into food allergies as they can cause these symptoms too.
I don't know if your grandson will get back to the way he was. But I DO know that the earlier you pinpoint the cause (and don't just focus on the anti-seizure meds), the better chance he has.
It's a long, hard road, I know. Been there, done that with my 16 year old son.
Good luck!
Barb

Closed Thread