It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #1

waiting for 1 HB User
Arrow spelling and Dyscaluia

Hi, i just had a question about spelling and dyscaluia . i am smart but what holds me back is two thing spelling and dyscaluia.
1.spelling. its about anything more then three sylibles<..........see LOL i just freak out and can't spell it. but i can read fine i mean i can read really hard words and every thing but what holds me back is the spelling.
2.the dyscaluia-my teachers never understood, in high school of how i could learn really hard math so quick but....... i still don't know to count my times tables. it pisses me off because i learend so much these past three year how to count change and every thing i have came a long way. but once i get thouse two things down i will be fine again.
any help would be wonderfull thank you
(i had help with this page)

Last edited by waiting for 1; 01-18-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Re: spelling and Dyscaluia

I can count change, add in my head (but using my fingers!), take away (again using my fingers but if its alot a calculator has to lend a helping hand), i can read well but not aloud only in my head, i struggle with stupid little words and big ones to but not as much, my writeing is readable when i concentrate, and i cant for the life of me do my x table - apart from the 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's.

I have dyslexia and dyscalclia and i am in my DREAM job, it took longer than it should have but i did it.

Im not sure i will ever know my x table and i dont use it that much now, i went to night class for 2 years whilst i was in college and the only thing i really couldnt learn was my tables.

Just wanted to let you know that, not sure if it helps but im here if you need anything, we are going or have been through the same thing so we know how each other feels

Last edited by sammieP; 01-20-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #3

waiting for 1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: spelling and Dyscaluia

i am going through the same thing. i went to the college today to sigh up and i did ok but i have to take the placement test tomorrow. i am so scared i am studying right now to makes sure i have learned something. the career i am going in to involved spelling and i am scared but i have to do this non of my family has gotten past high school like they did not even finsh high school. so i am pushing my self real hard. this is not about the schooling, this is about getting there its NY and its snowing like hell. but i have to deal with it and just goes with it.
so whats your dream job. My dream job is this office mangement.

Last edited by waiting for 1; 01-19-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Mines a veterinary nurse, hence why big words pose a problem!

You can do it if you set your mind to it, i have a spell master - which is like a calculator but it spells the word for you, its really helpfull but not with the scientific words we use so thats a bit of a problem! Had you thought of getting one of these?

Old 01-21-2005, 02:14 AM   #5

waiting for 1 HB User
Lightbulb Re: spelling and Dyscaluia

I have never herd of one of them. they sound very nice though something i would find of use. so i went to the college yesterday took the test. and i was like 25 mintues late, so at the end shes like you did not finsh the reading and comprehection (if you don't finsh it it means you are slow) so when and if i get it i am not going to be in the normal room i am ******. i did all that hard work and studying only for them to say, will see monday. so i will see if i am a college student then.
whats new with you? and i feel that if i don't use that tool that you where telling me i will not use my brain a lot harder. if (students) would see a tool like that in college they would laugh at me hard core. so whats new with you.

Last edited by waiting for 1; 01-21-2005 at 02:19 AM.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

It looks just like a calculator, so what if they laugh, thats petty and they will be laughing on the other side of their faces when you get the job you have dreamed of. Surely if their in college they will be mature enough to understand and be civil.

My dh works at a college and the students who do have learning problems get given there own laptops or a private helper and honestly, knowone laughs at them.
Id get one, its been a lifesaver for me, if they dare laughed at me i would just ignore them - stupid selfish people!!!

Last edited by sammieP; 01-22-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
(male)

Starter7777 HB User

Well, despite some problems I have had with math, with the exeption of sequencing problems, I have overcame most of my problems; heres' how.

Being the niave person I am, I never wanted to accept my brian functioned on a comepltetly different level than most of my peers; so I became frustrated.
I'm a visual person, and I have to have a visual for about anything I do!
So I use my right brain; which is visual, to figure out how to solve the problem.
Usually, a problem like this would stump me, but only if I fail to use my visual right brain......... How many pounds is 32 tons? I have never had a problem with calculation numbers, but going about how to solve the problem was the hard part for me! Here is how I do it --- I know that 1 ton is 2,000 pounds, so I proceed to imagine one block, like a childs building block; the block is transparent mind you.
Now, that block itself represents one ton, so I lable it, one ton, respectivlely. Next,
I imagine a whole slew of smaller blocks, (transparency being irreleveant), inside this clear cube. Now all that's left to do is multiply it by 32, which would be 64 thousand lbs. If I'm presented with a similar problem, but requires knowing how many tons is in so many thousands or millions of pounds, I imagine a large row of blocks; these represent pounds, and I imagine my hand chopping sections away from these blocks; this shows me that I need to divide. This strategy has helped me exponitialy!

Last edited by Starter7777; 01-22-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #8

waiting for 1 HB User
Smile Re: spelling and Dyscaluia

wow thank you so much for helping me. That does help alot i have the same problem. Everything you said was the same as i have been going through. i had to edit this post because it looked like poo LMAO so haveing that said i would like to get checked out. well thanks for your time.

Last edited by waiting for 1; 01-23-2005 at 03:44 AM.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Starter7777 - you sound juct like me, that is the way i try to do things but it doesnt all ways work, i dont think i could have explained it, i think its great the way you have been able to put it down on paper. Thankyou

Waiting for 1 - good luck with everything

Old 01-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

I have big problems with spelling. It's an embarrasement at work too! I check everything over and over and still mistakes. I find the spell checker on the computer is great but i don't remember how the words are spelled when i use it. I got a good dictionary and look up words that way, it helps a bit. Funny thing is I sometimes look up the same word over and over. I don't know why i can't spell. but i know it has hurt me alot proffessionally and personally. Makes me feel stupid but I'm not!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

None of us are stupid, we just spell the words as they sound to us, it would be alot easier if everyone else spelt the same as we did, but we are talented in other ways, if we were all the same life would be boring.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
(male)

Starter7777 HB User

I agree, in light of the fact that one is bad at math: spelling, reading.... what have you, it does not imply mental ineptitude. I use to be what I thouht was the worse person to ever attempt any form of mathematics, but now, I'm pretty adept. I have found ways to calculate numbers much faster than I ever thought possible. A prime example of my success I will now reveal..........
Just the other day, I was playing Monopoly, and I was the one who had to add up all the sums for everyone, because I can do it much quicker than most people can. I have found ways to make math easy, where as it used to be so difficult. One of my talents of math would be the ability to memorize numbers! I memorized all the area codes that are listed in my phone book, which is some 200 plus.
Here is a math hint that will assist anyone isn't already aware:::
(Any time you are dividing a number by 5, multiply the number you are dividing into by 2, then proceed to divide that number by 10!
Example..... 5 divided by 758,989 multiply 758,989 by 2, which is 1,517,978.
Now divide ten into that number which is 151,797.8 simply move the decimal to the tens place.
J.

Last edited by Starter7777; 01-24-2005 at 12:09 PM.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Sounds more like Dyslexia to me - contrary to popular belief, Dyslexia does NOT just affect spelling but can also affect maths and other areas.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 01-25-2005, 03:47 AM   #14

waiting for 1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: spelling and Dyscaluia

All this hard work that i am doing was for nothing i am so mad right now i could spit bullets. ok so i will tell you what happend yesterday. i had everything ready. took me all day to learn the school and where every thing was and all that i got there at 9:20 at around 2:00 they go you are going to need a 300.00 down payment. i go oh $#%^ and then i need 300.00 for my books i am like where am i going to get that much money. so now i have to wait for september! grrrrrrr that makes me very up set i did all that work.for almost like nothing. but i am learning still so whats new with you guys.

Last edited by waiting for 1; 01-25-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

At least you are going to go back in september and try rather than give up, GOOD ON YOU. Keep up the hard work and you will suckseed. I wish you all the luck. Sammie p xx

Closed Thread