It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

CheshireSmile HB User
Question advice?

I am 16 and have never been professionally diagnosed with a learning disability because I was never tested. I am starting to wonder, though, whether there is something going on. A lot of times I just feel stupid... like I can't understand things as fast as I should. Sometimes when things are explained verbally, it just doesn't get through. When I write, I often don't finish words or letters, don't finish sentences, add extra words, leave words out, or write completely wrong words. I often mess things up even when typing, though less frequently. It also takes me a longer time than it should to copy down notes, even the smallest distraction and I get completely off focus, and I have to concentrate really hard to get back on track. When I go to try to write things, it sometimes seems nearly impossible to get started, and if it's something I don't fully understand it will often take a long time to write even one sentence. I find myself staring blankly at the page and not doing anything because it literally feels like I can't. This happens with both writing by hand and typing. Also, I don't know if it's related but- well I'll give an example: we watched a movie in a class and he instructed us to compare our notes/knowledge with the movie and say what we think was accurately or innacurately portrayed... but I find I can barely remember the movie even though I was paying attention and at the time I couldn't really follow the plot completely or figure out who was who. I'll do this with regular movies as well, somehow miss small things that others seem to thing are obvious and get really confused. Now it's causing a problem because I don't know how to write this assignment because I spent the whole time merely trying to latch on to the plot. It's all very frustrating... but I don't know what to do about it. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or how to fix it? I'd apprieciate any advice, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: advice?

Hello! I'm so sorry that things aren't going well for you in school! I also struggled a great deal with an undiagnosed learning disability.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I have never been diagnosed but don't feel that I need to be as I know my situation and am learning to cope with it.

I was diagnosed with a rare neurological condition (periventricular heterotopia or PH for short) and during the course of digging for information I found that my condition is linked to a learning disability called: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). You may want to do a search for it and see how what you're experiencing lines up with the signs/symptoms of this disability. You may benefit as well from doing a search for "expressive-receptive learning disabilities".

It was such a relief to me to find that I was not simply stupid. I have a higher than average IQ but have a difficult time understanding verbal forms of expression. I thought for years that I had bad hearing but my hearing tests were always normal.

Anyway, I hope you're still following this thread. Let me know!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 03-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

CheshireSmile HB User
Cool Re: advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDGRMama
Hello! I'm so sorry that things aren't going well for you in school! I also struggled a great deal with an undiagnosed learning disability.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I have never been diagnosed but don't feel that I need to be as I know my situation and am learning to cope with it.

I was diagnosed with a rare neurological condition (periventricular heterotopia or PH for short) and during the course of digging for information I found that my condition is linked to a learning disability called: Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). You may want to do a search for it and see how what you're experiencing lines up with the signs/symptoms of this disability. You may benefit as well from doing a search for "expressive-receptive learning disabilities".

It was such a relief to me to find that I was not simply stupid. I have a higher than average IQ but have a difficult time understanding verbal forms of expression. I thought for years that I had bad hearing but my hearing tests were always normal.

Love and Prayers, Kelly
Thank you, I'd actually read a bit about it but wasn't sure. Now I'm thinking it matches my situation pretty well. Thank you much for your reply.

Does it occur on it's own or is it linked to other things?

Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Inactive

maak823 HB User

Ask your parents to request a Multi-Factored Evaluation from the school because they suspect a learning disability- the school has to provide the testing free of charge and it might give some insight as to what is going on.
Good Luck to you!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

jia1 HB User

hi kelly - i found your reply below. my 3 mo old was just diagnosed with the same condition. did you experience any seizures with this condition?

--------------------

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Closed Thread