It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

hopeless_gurl HB User
Is this a disorder?...

Hello, Im in search for some answers for my eight year old daughter. she has been struggling somewhat since the beginning of school, she is now in the third grade. In 2nd grade she was evaluated but passed all test offered with av. - above av. in some areas. except a little low in comprehnsion but was assured not to worry. -- She has problems "getting" her spelling words and remembering what she's read. like if she has written word 10 times each, she only looks at the word, writes what the letters are but don't learn the word or spelling. then if we do it orally. she learns the word (after much frustration!) but then fails the test. and its like the more we practice the more frustrated she gets and just blanks out. she tells me that when shes reading something from another paper or the board that when she looks back at her paper she only sees the board or other paper and can't think of what shes doing or suppose to do. and after reading a word/ paragraph she cant think of what to do or write. that she thinks of what to do after school or something she played the day before. We have gone over certian problems, say Multiplication tables over, over until were both in tears. and it just doesnt click. some she can remember, most she can't. shes not over active I could have her sit for an hour and she could care less. shes not very figity. but does have a hard time staying focused on what were doing. while doing homework, she will just blurt out hey, know what (such, such) did today. then we have to start all over with the project. akso she tells me when she reads that the words in a book it all goes together like a big letter or something? She has had her eyes tested and theyre fine... someone please help me out I feel like were drowning here. and her grades are like a yo-yo. what do I do? what could this be symptoms of ? all help is appreciated. I know there is something I can do but what? Do you think this is a disorder or what?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
(female)

hopeless_gurl HB User
Re: Is this a disorder?...

From you who know in depth about situations such as mine... someone give me some insight... what kind of psycologist and such ..
she is really getting frustrated at all this. I tried to ignore it hoping it was just a stage in life. but she has noticed herself and she cries wanting me to help her.
her teacher has talked with me on this but has no idea as to what steps to take.
and I dont know where to start?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #3

dianne12315 HB User

I'm not a professional or anything but it sounds like your daughter is getting stressed out. If the teacher can't help you then the next step I would take is to talk her pediatrician. He/She can point in you in the right direction.

Maybe you just need to find a different approach and make learning fun for her. Have you tried buying her games that will help her with reading and spelling? She sounds as though she wants to learn but gets frustrated because she doesn't get it right away. Maybe you could give her some practice tests and let her do them at her own pace and if she doesn't get them all right then praise her for the ones she did get right. When you see she's getting frustrated let her go play for awhile then go back to it. My niece did better with her homework after she came home from school, had a snack and relaxed for awhile.

Does she get extra help in school with her reading and comprehension? I used to have trouble in that area also when I was in elementary school and was in special reading classes for awhile. As I got older I outgrew it. My niece also had trouble with Math when she was in the 3rd grade but in 4th grade she mastered the Multiplication tables with no problems. She said she understood it better the way the 4th grade teacher explained it.

Does she have any older siblings who might be able to explain it to her differently? Maybe there's a neighborhood teen who can help her.

My niece used to do the same thing your daughter does. We'd be sitting there doing reading or spelling and then she would have to tell me everything that happened at school or something else she thought was important. To me it wasn't but it was to her. I would listen to her and then we would get back to what we were doing.

My niece is now 17 and is an honor student. Your daughter is only 8 and it could be she just has a concentration problem and needs to learn how to concentrate. I think your pediatrician will be very helpful.

Please let me know how she makes out. If she starts resenting learning now she never like school. I feel so bad for her. I will be thinking about her.

Dianne

Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

thank you so very much Dianne for your reply. my daughter has been in the new FASTFORWORD computer program for the past 2 years and has already passed all the requiresments this year so far. I do know that when I finally turn things around for her in a way that makes sense she kinda gets it but she has such a hard time just on that one problem that shes brain fuzzed for the rest. I DO know that she learns best HANDS ON but its getting that teacher for her every year is hard to find!
In a way I wonder if there is a little something wrong with her but then ..... I also know that anything I try to teach her at home gardening, cooking, sewing, just little ""common sense things"" she picks up on and can do as well as anyone!
she doesnt go to pediatritian any more hasnt for several years only family doctor.. but I will mention this to them .... Im not sure how experienced he is in this particular field.
I HAVE TO GET SOME PEACE OF MIND ... SHE NEEDS HELP NOW WHILE SHE IS YOUNG SO SHE CAN ADVANCE IN LIFE!
THANKS AGAIN!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

All I can say is have her tested for a reading and writing disability my son has been diagnosed with these disabilities because he can read a sentance or paragraph and he can't tell you what it means or what it just said. And when you mention the problem with remembering the blackboard after looking down at the page sounds a lot like it. It has taken a lot of work to get my son tested but for her sake do it and if they come back and say she is okay then that is peace of mind for you. If not you need to start helping her soon. My son is in the 4th grade and at a lower level in reading then his second grade brother. But he is really smart at math and several things around home he can learn to take things apart and fix them with no problem. Look up reading disorders on the net.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

frustrated mum HB User

i just read ur story and i would suggest a central auditory processing assessment as my son was the same and still is and he is now in grade six and is 1yr 8mths behind his peers in reading spelling and maths but most of the other subjuects he is average just. i used to think he was just a slow learner and was never going to be brainy.he was ok in one on one situations but not in class rooms or if there was background noises. it is when the brain cant process the information it has heard probably and they get very frustrated. if the school has a guidance officer they can do a test and can work out if she has it.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Lightbulb Re: Is this a disorder?...

Hi Hopeless_gurl,

I have one question for you, is your daughter shy, or a little introverted?

After you answer me then maybe I can help you.

JC

Old 05-30-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
(male)

hawaiianyoda HB User

The learning disability you concerned with is not an learning disfunctional "its a school systematic exposure to teaching reaction" Due to the situation, it best to get your daughter out of school., home taught, she is a definite genius and is better that you dont put her through hell in the teaching dumb down system, you be better off not doing what the people say about this or that take your daughter out of school and she will be the genius she was ment to be. yoda

Last edited by hawaiianyoda; 05-30-2005 at 02:41 AM.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
(male)

Bob2 HB User

My daughter is all grown up and a senior in college now. She is LD, diagnosed with a speech processing delay in kindergarten. When she was in fifth grade I had a tremendous problem with her and spelling. I would work with her for at least an hour every night studying with her spelling. It took me a little time to figure out what was wrong. She didn't know how to sound out words. She learned to spell words by learning every letter in the word without thinking about the sounds in the word. I told her LD teacher this and they tested all of the LD students and found that none of them knew how to sound out words. I am not saying your daughter is LD. It may simply be that she does not know what sound is made by combinations of letters in words. Perhaps you could find a book on phonics that would help you teach her. Perhaps you could find a tutor through her school that could help her. Once the problem was worked on at school, my daughter improved her ability to spell tremendously in a very short time.

I would be very careful before I do anything very drastic with you daughter. Your daughter is a very important person in your life and you want to do what is best. Quite often, the simplest thing that can be done is the best thing. I always encouraged my daughter and tried to make her feel like a unique and important person, with the capability to do well. I look at her all grown up and making it in college and I am very proud of her.

Last edited by Bob2; 07-10-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:33 AM   #10
(female)

badkat HB User

Joe28paws....

Reading these posts,,,I'm in a similar sitituations with my son,,,,, He is very very shy!!! Hates to have attention put on him??? Why did you ask that??? I'm very curious

Old 08-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #11
Inactive

joe28paws HB User
Lightbulb Re: Is this a disorder?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat
Joe28paws....

Reading these posts,,,I'm in a similar sitituations with my son,,,,, He is very very shy!!! Hates to have attention put on him??? Why did you ask that??? I'm very curious
Because I was a very shy child and my learning disorders were the same way that were described in the first post.

After I broke out of my shyness, I started getting straight A's in my classes and graduated with a 4.1 grade point average.

If you can try to get your child out of the shyness, and DON'T whatever you do don't tell people in front of your shy child that he is shy, that just makes it worse on him.

On my way to work so I will give more details later.

JC

Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #12
(female)

badkat HB User

I would love to hear details.....

We have my child tutored---in my area there is nothing, so on top of the $$ we spend - we have to take him an hr away for tutoring...

I have been doing battle with the school to get extra help,,,,he doesn't qualify for an IEP, we are now trying to get a Section 504 done....My reasoning...is to build confidence..... So any input you have - I would love to hear it!!!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
(female)

Easilyamused HB User

She could have ADD. It's very common for girls with ADD to not be fidgity or restless and disruptive. I have ADD and that sounds like the problems I had when I was younger.. comprehension because nothing can really sink in when you can't focus or when you read passages it's hard to think about what you're reading because you keep getting distracted inside your head... Memory problems are a huge part of ADD too, and so is knowing the material but not being able to draw it up for a test... just a thought, maybe it's something you could look into.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #14

itsjustmeLR HB User

If she wan't taught phonetics that could be a huge help to her. Also, to help combat the problem of the whole page seeming like one letter you can try what I did to keep me focused on one sentence at a time. I would use an index card, a piece of paper, or my hand to cover up the lines below the one I was reading. Also, moving your finger along the line so that you point at each word as you read it can help to keep track of where you are and I think is helpful for making reading a little more kenisthetic. As for keeping track of the overall idea of what is being read- i think reading it out loud helps the reading seem more like complete ideas instead of disjointed words. One thing that helped me with spelling was using fun kenesthetic methods to practice. My mom would put sugar in a baking pan and I would use my finger to write the word in the sugar. When I got the word correct I got to lick my finger. This was a helpful method because it make spelling more kenisthetic and took away the stress and bordome that normally accompanied spelling.

I don't know if you will find any of this helpful because I have never been diagnosed with any sort of learning disorder (my grades were too high to be tested for one) so I can only pass on tips that have helped me. The best tip I can give you is to deemphasize grades and instead emphasize a love for learning. (this can be practical learning as well as school learning) The other main suggestion is to try to integrate as many aspects of learning as possible. This applies to using verbal, visual, and kenisthetic teaching methods. But, it also applies to connecting different subjects. For instance, multiplication doesn't have to be just about numbers- you can practice doing a double batch of a recipie or explain that if everyone brings ___ dishes to a pot luck dinner and there are ____ number of people the total numeber or dishes at the dinner will be__. The more practical uses of a lesson you use the less rote memorization oriented the lesson becomes. (Plus its way less boring and/or stressful)

Old 10-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

EthanF HB User

I know quite a bit about LDs myself. I have ADD and dysgraphia and I wen to a college that was only for LD people so I have quite a bit of experience in this field

Im just curious. Has you Dotor had problems with comprehension while reading, particularly remembering the context of what she read afterwards. Plus have the schools started to teach her note taking and if so how is that going.

Closed Thread