It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

babygirl4276032 HB User
mental retardation

They told me that my daughter was mild mentally retarded but I dont see it. I know she needs some speech but other than that I think she is comprehending very good. She interacts but only with people she knows. She had hydrocephalus when she was a baby but that has gone away when dhe hit two years old. What to do? I dont know what to do. It ounds like it might be to much for me right now. I am trying to work with her but dont think she needs to be labeled as retarded. I know she is a little behind but why do people have to be labeled as to what they are. Its saying that she is retarded and that she will always be. Thats like telling someone that there is no hope and I think there is. Does anyone see where I am coming from and agree or disagree? Should we be labeled? Do we have to be told what we are and when?

Last edited by babygirl4276032; 03-02-2005 at 10:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

liza HB User
Re: mental retardation

I think you should go for a 2nd opinion if you feel their diagnosis is incorrect.
Maybe she just has a learning disability. In any event, it sounds like she will need special classes because even you have said that she is a little behind and needs some speech.
There is obviously something wrong, but what? Is the doctor correct or is there really another diagnosis to be found?

Who knows, maybe the doctor that diagnosed her was wrong maybe not. Did they take a brain scan of her, I doubt very much. Even with a learning disability, you daughter can be highly intelligent.

2nd opinion would be the best I think in your case. You need to be sure of what are her problems and how to treat accordingly.

Last edited by liza; 03-05-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread