It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 13
bob101 HB User
where do I go for the LD test?

Right then! Doesanyone know where to go to get the test to prove finally once and for all that I am not like anybody else on the planet?Am I supposed to go my doctor for this?This is rather embarrasing as he thinks I'm a fine,decent fellow.Still,if I have no choice....
Also,I'm in B.C in Canada ,so hope I don't have to pay for this test,seeing as life has not really been that financially rewarding to me!Is it done at a school?How can they determine what I have through tests?I really have to laugh at the people who are claiming to have L.D's yet still manage to go to university.I couldn't pass a test of any kind.My high school asked me to leave because they didn't think I was trying hard enough and that I was wasting my time!My whole life has been a game of hiding my condition . Fortunately,my kind friends think I'm just a nice guy with a bad memory!Now,I,figure,if there is some way I can get some kind of pension rather than have to struggle through life.I can't get another job because I never understand what I'm supposed to do.Whereas, most people can simply be shown something once and say,"Oh,I get it!",I don't get it no matter how many times I'm shown.I'm not afraid of being unempoyed but rather,being hired and,as usual,not understanding a single thing.Can't understand movie plots,can't remember anyone's face unless they have a weird scar or something. I think I'm remarkably cheerful for someone of my ilk so there isn't any problem with depression.I just need some answers seeing as everyone else seems to know everything but me!Help!!!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: where do I go for the LD test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101
Right then! Doesanyone know where to go to get the test to prove finally once and for all that I am not like anybody else on the planet?Am I supposed to go my doctor for this?This is rather embarrasing as he thinks I'm a fine,decent fellow.Still,if I have no choice....
Also,I'm in B.C in Canada ,so hope I don't have to pay for this test,seeing as life has not really been that financially rewarding to me!Is it done at a school?How can they determine what I have through tests?I really have to laugh at the people who are claiming to have L.D's yet still manage to go to university.I couldn't pass a test of any kind.My high school asked me to leave because they didn't think I was trying hard enough and that I was wasting my time!My whole life has been a game of hiding my condition . Fortunately,my kind friends think I'm just a nice guy with a bad memory!Now,I,figure,if there is some way I can get some kind of pension rather than have to struggle through life.I can't get another job because I never understand what I'm supposed to do.Whereas, most people can simply be shown something once and say,"Oh,I get it!",I don't get it no matter how many times I'm shown.I'm not afraid of being unempoyed but rather,being hired and,as usual,not understanding a single thing.Can't understand movie plots,can't remember anyone's face unless they have a weird scar or something. I think I'm remarkably cheerful for someone of my ilk so there isn't any problem with depression.I just need some answers seeing as everyone else seems to know everything but me!Help!!!
Sounds like the same problem I have. Did you ever get evaluated for add? Just a thought. I was diagnosed and now i'm getting treated. There are natural alternatives but it's totally up to you unless you want to take meds or perhaps go through your school, i'm sure they have a center for disabilities.

 
Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 13
bob101 HB User
Re: where do I go for the LD test?

No ,I haven't been tested for LD but of course, I know I have something that's been causing a whole life of crippling problems for me.I have checked around but can't seem to find anyplace that does tests for adults .It all seems to be just for children.When I was little, they didn't really have the programs they have nowadays. I don't wanna really take any medication as I 'm quite healthy and I don't like the idea of being a doped up zombie.Unless,there's a pill for the simple-minded, I'm gonna try to avoid pills at all costs.If you know where I can get the test done let me know.It's rather embarrassing phoning around for it.Anyone who doesn't have the same condition as I have, can't really imagine the complete life of dread and fear that I stumble through. Anyway,if anyone has any ideas about the tests and where to go,please let me know!!!

 
Old 03-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: where do I go for the LD test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101
No ,I haven't been tested for LD but of course, I know I have something that's been causing a whole life of crippling problems for me.I have checked around but can't seem to find anyplace that does tests for adults .It all seems to be just for children.When I was little, they didn't really have the programs they have nowadays. I don't wanna really take any medication as I 'm quite healthy and I don't like the idea of being a doped up zombie.Unless,there's a pill for the simple-minded, I'm gonna try to avoid pills at all costs.If you know where I can get the test done let me know.It's rather embarrassing phoning around for it.Anyone who doesn't have the same condition as I have, can't really imagine the complete life of dread and fear that I stumble through. Anyway,if anyone has any ideas about the tests and where to go,please let me know!!!
I understand about the meds, I was very reluctant at first but I got to my wits end!!! Anyways, your college should have it. I'm getting tested next tuesday at my community college. Did you ask the college?

 
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 13
bob101 HB User
Re: where do I go for the LD test?

Did your medication help you to grasp things?I logically cannot imagine any pill helping me to grasp,simple instructions,memorization etcI'm gonna call the univeristy and see if they have the LD test and then hopefully we'll find out the name of beast that has been tailing me all these years.My mother is in the same boat but she's never been tested.Obviously, there's the connection.I swear, if there is a simple pill that will allow me to remain my oddly cheerful self yet finally be able to "get things",I'll be the happiest person alive!!!

 
Old 03-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: where do I go for the LD test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101
Did your medication help you to grasp things?I logically cannot imagine any pill helping me to grasp,simple instructions,memorization etcI'm gonna call the univeristy and see if they have the LD test and then hopefully we'll find out the name of beast that has been tailing me all these years.My mother is in the same boat but she's never been tested.Obviously, there's the connection.I swear, if there is a simple pill that will allow me to remain my oddly cheerful self yet finally be able to "get things",I'll be the happiest person alive!!!
Bob, do some research on ADD and how people's lives have changed from meds and or therapy. Also, if you think that ADD fits you after reading about it, GO SEE YOUR DOC. Don't wait till it's too late. I just went through the OVR program at my school today or you can call it "supportive services" and I'm getting tested by a counsler on thursday, and THEN again by a psych. There is SOMETHING for you in your area I'm sure. And yes, meds have actually changed SOME people's life. Like I said, make sure you do some research!! So far, I noticed I'm more focused but it's only been 3 weeks.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Help need with a diagnosis/results/where to go from here? smudgecat Thyroid Disorders 4 06-23-2010 12:14 PM
new test results... TOTALLY different from 2 wks ago andeflora Thyroid Disorders 4 04-27-2010 05:52 PM
Where can you go when all the doctors have no clue? Robin71 Digestive Disorders 3 10-29-2009 10:08 AM
I have it, she doesn't, where did i get it?! marsen Herpes 5 09-09-2008 05:00 AM
Recent blood work - where might I go from here? engineer04ue Men's Health 7 03-25-2008 09:06 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!