It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

MissLijChristne HB User
I think my fiance is learning disabled.

He has a hard time comprehending things and doesn't understand what he reads from books/magazines. He doesn't have the broadest of vocabularies, and he writes on a middle school level (he's a junior in college). I can't persuade him to willingly get tested for one, but is there anything I can do to help him out?

Old 12-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #2

inquiringmind2 HB User
Re: I think my fiance is learning disabled.

MissLiCh, I think by Junior College level, he is probably beyond learning new ways of compensating for any learning disability. He has managed to make it to Junior College so he is doing pretty well. He will probably find a career that he feels comfortable with and do just fine.

Love him for his accomplishments with his limitations. Part of marriage is loving your spouse as they are. I don't mean that to sound preachy. I know you only want to help.

Many people have marriages where one spouse excells in some areas and they are responsible for those and the other spouse excells in different areas. It makes for a great partenership. Best wishes for your life together

Last edited by inquiringmind2; 12-30-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

TracyS42 HB User

Ask his Mum....she may have researched all that stuff when he was young, as the teachers would have known something was up. I feel it is important to know these things before you have kids with him because you may NOT want a child who has the same genes (it may be genetic or behavioural) so it would be good to find out first.

Of course if you dont care whether your children are the same as him (many people dont care about genetics because brain is like size/height...if both are short or mute/hearing impaired...they dont care if their mate is etc))....then you dont need to find out at all and just accept him the way he is.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #4

inquiringmind2 HB User

My son has dyslexia. He is now sixteen. He is super intelligent and the best kid a parent could ever hope for. We are lucky to have discovered his dyslexia at an early age and done everything we could to help him. Believe me, the world is a better place for him being here.

Closed Thread