It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

Brea29 HB User
learning disorder and memory

Hi everyone,I'm not sure were to post this. So I'll start here. I have a learning disablity. I can read and spell up to an 8th grade level. I hear numbers like 123 and read them or write them down as 132. I don't hear some sounds. Words that sound alike, was and cause. Or if it is to loud in the room, I can't hear what someone is saying. Or if they talk to softly. I say what?, Or try to read there lips. But no one knows. Well my husband and friends don't. The problem is things are getting bad. I'm forgetting things. Like words, spelling, letting a candle burn all night,turning off the stove. My eye are getting bad. I scare very easy. If my husband well walk up behind me and not say anything, I turn around and about crap myself. I forget my kids b-days, my wedding ann. I forget to pay bills. How to do math adding, and I was always good at it. I forget what I ate 2 days ago. I will be telling a story and forget what I was talking about.It seems like, my brain is dieing.
I'm a stay at home mom of 2, 9 yr old and 3 yr old. I don't have much stress. The only stress is my kids fighting. (LOL but don't we all.) I do get a little depressed in the winter. Because I love to work outside with my flowers. And I hate the cold weather, cause I'm always cold. But that is it.
I haven't gone to the Dr.s cause what doI go for? My ? is does anyone else have this or know were I should start?
Thanks for read my post and for any help.
Brea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: learning disorder and memory

I am 48 and have the same things happen. I leave the house and can't remember if I turned off the curling iron...always turn around and go back and check....sometimes I have and sometimes not. I don't have prob with numbers so much...but my eyes are getting worse...it's age...I sometimes have a prob with remembering people's names........but I think it's age.........

Old 10-24-2005, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

Brea29 HB User

Thank you for replying. Yes I do think it has some what to do with age. The only thing that scares me is I'm 29. Do you still think it is age? Or maybe it is all in my head?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

wildamber HB User

I have many of the same things too in my 30's now.
1st thing is make an apt. to have UR Hearing Checked out.And U may have "forgive my Spelling,"Dislexia."?
What I wonder is,how long has this been going on?Could it be an after affect of Child Birth?U could be Low in some kind of Vit.after 3 kids being tired,may not be eating as good as U can,Humm.
I say try and take a Good Vit every day,and try some Brain Food,Fish tuna,any kind U like,as long as UR Not allergic.
If after a Month or so if U still aren't better,I'd call an Ear Dr.and tell UR Dr.or Gyno about it.
I Wish U well.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
(female)

aurora1119 HB User

part of this is sensory deprivation from being with your children and not out in the world interacting with adults. My ex-husband used to laugh about it--he understood perfectly. Every mom experiences it. One mom put it best--she was at a party after months at home with 3 kids, all under 3, and she said she felt like her slip was showing. This was a very high functioning teacher of gifted kids before her marriage and kids.
I have several kids, and I guess I come off as spacy, and my cousin's daughter wondered out loud whether I was so dumb because of all the kids. She had read a Russian psychologist's work that said that mothers of many children become less intelligent as a result. People looked shocked and looked at me when she said this right out in company, but I blew it off. For some reason, I heard it all but couldn't react because I didn't know the best way to react. So I suppose I confirmed my cousin's daughter's opinion of me.
By the way, this also happens to anyone who stays indoors working on a project and isolating him/herself. I recall a friend I had years ago who was working in a lab for hours for 2 weeks, and he said he went out and he said it was surreal, he looked at people and they looked like the white mice he had been working on, I mean they looked like people of course but they just seemed like animals to him, bigger than mice and with hair on their heads only, but otherwise the same!

good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
(female)

aurora1119 HB User

part of this is sensory deprivation from being with your children and not out in the world interacting with adults. My ex-husband used to laugh about it--he understood perfectly. Every mom experiences it. One mom put it best--she was at a party after months at home with 3 kids, all under 3, and she said she felt like her slip was showing. This was a very high functioning teacher of gifted kids before her marriage and kids.
I have several kids, and I guess I come off as spacy, and my cousin's daughter wondered out loud whether I was so dumb because of all the kids I had had. She had read a Russian psychologist's work that said that mothers of many children become less intelligent as a result. People looked shocked and looked at me when she said this right out in company, but I blew it off. For some reason, I heard it all but couldn't react because I didn't know the best way to react. I do seem a little numb around people. So I suppose I confirmed my cousin's daughter's opinion of me.
By the way, this also happens to anyone who stays indoors working on a project and isolating him/herself. I recall a friend I had years ago who was working in a lab for hours for 2 weeks, and he said he went out and he said it was surreal, he looked at people and they looked like the white mice he had been working on, I mean they looked like people of course but they just seemed like animals to him, bigger than mice and with hair on their heads only, but otherwise the same!

good luck!

Closed Thread