It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

biyabiya HB User
What is expected by Teachers of Dyslectics?

What do teachers of newly diagnosed children expect of these children and how soon do they expect it? I just don't know what to do to help my son with his reading. got a letter from his teacher today and he will begin tutoring on Tuesday and Thursday morning's at 7:30am and will have to take a competency exam before regular class begins, he will no longer be able to go to recess or P.E. until he has gotten caught up with his reading. I can tell he is still confused on a lot of his assignment's and it's like he's being punished for disorder instead of being helped by his school.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #2

cmelton31 HB User
Re: What is expected by Teachers of Dyslectics?

Hi there, I think what the school is doing is definitely punishment. Overloading your child with schoolwork is definitely going to harm more that help. Is you child receiving sp. services. If not you should check into it. Not having pe or recess will definitley be construed by your child as punishment. You don't want him to shut down, Esp. with reading. I am currently having my child ld tested. His teacher is very understanding. She suggested modifying his assigments. This keeps his self confidence up and he is still learning. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: What is expected by Teachers of Dyslectics?

I would go into the school and tell them you want to work with them (actually I'd like to tell them something else but I'm trying to be nice..) However, taking away phys ed and recess just because someone is having trouble reading is unacceptable.

Having a child go to school at 7:30 in the morning is also unacceptable. They need to be working with him during normal schools hours.

There is a lot you can do at home however. Linguisystems has a lot of wonderful books for dyslexics to help with reading skills. You can read with him every day. Not for long periods of time though as most dyslexics have to struggle so hard to read that it is very exhausting.

If you have a dx of dyslexia then you can get an IPP done up with the school so that they have to accomodate him. There is a group online called Starfish Advocacy and there are many people there that can help you with that

Jeannie

Closed Thread