It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

joojoobee1967 HB Userjoojoobee1967 HB User
School says no learning disability....

My 4th grade son was very behind last year in math and other areas. We are home schooling him now and he is still working on add/sub facts and really can't write a paragraph.

The school did all there tests at the end of 3rd grade and told us he had no problems and was testing average. I've seen so many areas where he just doesn't know stuff. He does have a hard time staying on task and can only sit for about 30 minutes. He will start talking out of the blue right in the middle of my trying to teach him.

My question is, can he still have some learning issues eventhough the school tests showed nothing? I'm just getting really frustrated with all this. My husband says I need to catch him up so he can go back into the 6th grade. I just don't see that happening. It's almost like he's just not wired for the typical school setting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Julie

Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #2

cmelton31 HB User
Wink Re: School says no learning disability....

Hi, I think most definitely he could still have something. Some gaps don't show themselves until later. He sounds a lot like my son. I had him tested in 2nd. It showed nothing. He is now in 6th. and I am having him tested again. He also has focus issues and has been diagnosed with add. I would either push to test again ( this may be difficult b/c schools do not like to test 2 yrs in a row) or take him to your ped and ask her the procedures to have him tested. Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: School says no learning disability....

Yes, I'd say he can indeed have some LD. There's always a chance the school showed nothing because they didn't want to have to deal with it.

I homeschool my kids as well. I have one with Autism, one gifted and one with LD (dyslexia).

I would talk to your dr. Write down all the things you've noticed in details and give it to the dr. Since you homeschool you may have to pay for testing but may not. A Developmental ped. may be able to help a lot.

Jeannie

Old 11-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
(female)

Connor5 HB User

My son is the same way. He has been tested several times at school and they say he is fine. He is not fine! He is failing every subject. He is in 7th grade and we have been dealing with this since 2nd grade. I have noticed when they test him..he is alone without distractions and they give him plenty of time. When he is in a classroom with kids, he has no idea what the teacher is saying and he is too afraid to raise his hand so he gets behind. He is always confused. He also has short term memory but the school psycologist doesn't pick that up either. It's frustrating isn't it.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

Yes, it's very frustrating. That is why we pulled him out of school. We had the same thing happen during testing. I noticed the first week of homeschool that he can only sit still for about 30 minutes and then he gets really fidgety.

He is still trying to memorize his add/sub facts and keeps making the same mistakes when doing the work. He is also behind in Lang/Arts and it just irritates me that the school says this is normal, he'll catch up. I'd like to know when. Like I said, I don't see how he will be ready to go back into the 6th grade.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
(female)

Connor5 HB User

joojoo, what part of the country do you live? We lived in Las Vegas and didn't get any help with the schools. They just don't want to help these special kids, it takes too much of their time. We moved to Utah in March and the teachers and staff seem more compasionate towards these kids, but they still test him and say he is average. He has a C grade point average, and that is because I push and pull and practically do his homework myself. I even got him a tutor, but he forgets to hand in his homework. He forgets what the teacers says, and doesn't know what his homework is. He has a 504 and by law the teachers are supposed to have an aid to help these kids. But noooo, we're just not getting anywhere. I have thought about homeschool, but I don't have the patience and he wouldn't do it for me. He isn't hyper at all, just lethargic and has no motivation. I've asked the school councelor to sit in his classes and observe him, and they do admit there is a problem. But how to help him? They don't want to go the extra mile. They tell me he needs to be responsible, but I don't know if he is capable. He had trauma at birth and we have always wondered if that is the reason he is slow.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

"he can only sit still for about 30 minutes and then he gets really fidgety.

He is still trying to memorize his add/sub facts and keeps making the same mistakes when doing the work. "

You say he can't sit still for long. There is a good chance he's a kinestetic learner. They NEED to move in order to learn. My son is that way. Have him recite the facts as he runs up and down the stairs or while jumping on a tramp. If they move they will retain better.

Jeannie

Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
(female)

I live in California and the schools here are terrible. When he was tested they said he was average. When observed in the class they noticed he couldn't sit still for very long and also said he needed to pay more attention and take responsibility for his actions. Since he didn't qualify for any help they gave me packets of work and said to do this on top of everything else he was doing.

That is when we decided if we were going to have to do all this we might as well do it all. He always gave me a hard time doing homework but he has been doing pretty well with homeschool. He likes getting done early and not having to do more homework later in the day.

I do know that he is not a visual learner and I believe he's immature for his age. He actually does flashcards while laying/rolling around on the floor or going up and down the stairs. I'm just concerned about putting him back in school because he won't have the relaxed atmosphere to do this. There are so many gaps that need to be filled in and I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm just trying to concentrate on math this year and we will tackle writing next year. He can't even put a decent paragraph together. We will just keep plugging away.

Julie

Old 11-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
(female)

Connor5 HB User

Julie, I know what you are going through. We held our son back in the 1st grade. He was very immature and very shy. He was tested for ADD and the doctor said he had it and we put him on all kinds of ADD meds. They worked at first, but the side effects were terrible on him. In Vegas, we saw two child psychologists and they said he might be high functioning autism, but they didn't know. He is now seeing a terapist in Utah and he has ruled out autism, but he wants to get some physical testing done, like an MRI to see what is going on in his brain.
Has your son seen doctors? How old is he?
Nancy

Old 11-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
(female)

Nancy,
My son is 9 and in the 4th grade. We haven't seen the dr for this in particular. I did take him at the end of 3rd grade because he was having so much trouble in school that he was getting stomach aches and always wanted to come home. He's never like school only the social part of it. Up until the middle of 2nd grade I was still having to sometimes drag him to class crying.

That stopped in 3rd grade but then he had a really incompetent teacher that made the whole year just miserable. They never mentioned anything about add or adhd during the testing. I wonder about it because he does have so much trouble staying focused. He can when it's something he is interested in, but that sure isn't school.

He is doing ok at home but misses his friends. I have had to change some of the curriculum because it was just to advanced for him. We were both struggling with it. I'm hoping that since this is the first year that next year will go much better.

Julie

Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

What curriculum are you using Julie? My son has Asperger's Syndrome. (autistic spectrum). He is on target for math but behind in Language arts. We are using Linguisystems for his language arts. It's awesome stuff!

Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
(female)

I am using some Christian Liberty Press stuff but his language/arts is now Easy Grammar. We were using Abeka (way to advanced). I was using Math-U-See but am now using the 4th grade math that came with my boxed curriculum. The first 90 pages are add/sub review and then it gets into times/division which I figure I need to do in case my husband insists he go back into public school.

I have a lot of friends in my church that have been homeschooling for years and they have recommended some stuff. I really didn't know what to get for this year as it was my first time. I am already researching and making plans for what I'll use next year.

Julie

Old 11-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I tend to look ahead as well. Check out Linguisystems - really. I highly recommend their products called 100%. There is a whole book that focuses 100% on punctuation. Another that focuses 100% on story writing, etc. Wonderful stuff.

My son couldn't figure out math-u-see for love nor money. Lifepacs is working well for him. My dd can't figure out numbers yet so we're still in the beginning phases there.

Closed Thread