It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
(male)

pellaken HB User
Dysgraphia

its pretty rare, but I got it. anyone else here have it too?

Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
(female)

Xena1 HB User
Re: Dysgraphia

No actually its not rare, I have it too, as a matter of fact I have dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalcula, those are reading , writting , math disorders.

What works best for me is typeing instead of writting...

Xena1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Sorry if this is a intellectually void question. But is it possible to have Dysgraphia and Hyperlexia at the same time? It's kind of odd because I have precocious ability to read words and have a fascination with numbers (although I have a hard time using verbal language), but I have difficulty forming letters and tend to write letters and numbers backwards. It almost seems as if I have an exceptional understanding of things in my head but have trouble getting it out in the right order.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

elysamc HB User

Dear Fellow Dysgraghics,
Someone asked if it is rare, well it canít be that rare being so prevalent in my family and I have large extended family. But I want to challenge right now, something I have read on other site, both educational and medical. That is the notion of linking dysgraghia with reading problems or learning problems.
That is not to say you can not have both, But writing is done in one section of the brain and reading another. I never let my illegible handwriting bother me because another family trait is that of being craftsmen and artists. I am a voracious reader and even dabble in whiting. (Thank god for spell check). I have a lot of great talents like memorizing music and remembering details. But I have had some disabilities to over come. I could do fractions by age 7 but I was in high school before I could read a clock (that whole clockwise verses counterclockwise thing) Thank god for digital. Please donít tell me to turn right or left when driving. I am ambidextrous in daily activities. Tell me north, south or some other direction and I will get you there every time. (Generations of sea captains you know)
A final PS, I do believe that having a family trait where all the males and about one-third of the female members are lefties might play a role. Iím right handed, but then I used to get whacked across the knuckles by my teachers if I used my left, so who knows.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
(female)

BellaTori HB User
Question Re: Dysgraphia

I think my 8 yo son may have this disorder. His printing is worse than it was in kinder or first grade, he's in 2nd grade now. He is unable to write neatly, he throws capital letters in where ever he wants, he writes slanted even when using lined paper, he either runs his letters and words too close together or too far apart, it's usually one extreme or another.

I'm worried because they have introduced cursive writing but his printing is so distorted how can he possibly learn to write in cursive? His teacher was patient with this at first but she now reduces points from his work if the writing is messy which is always so his grades are dropping. Even when he writes numbers, when doing math, it's hard to make out what the numbers are. He also writes very big much of the time.

When asked to try and write slowly and neatly he will try and he will go slowly but there really is no difference. My son is actually very smart, he's reading chapter books at a 4th grade reading level, he made it to the finals in the spelling bee and has mastered all the different types of math they have taught him if only the handwriting could improve.

Do kids grow out of this? Is there anything I as a parent can do to help him overcome this?

Thanks,
Tori

Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

With Dysgraphia, many improvements can be in result of time. Not that he might grow out of it, evn though it is possible, but that if he takes his time on what he is doing he can pay more attention to the lettering and positioning of his work. Considering this started not too long ago, and that he has problems with capitalization, it might be of help to get him a tutor as well. Teach him how to slow down and that it's more important of the quality than how fast he can write.

SGH

Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
(female)

Lounks HB User

I have dyslexia and extremely bad handwriting but was never told I have it but I would be surprised if I don't

Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

My 11 yr old son has dysgraphia, dyslexia, a central auditory processing disorder and a working memory disorder. All of his symptoms started right away though. I am not sure if they would consider it that if his handwritting was better before and is not worse. I could be wrong though but it never hurts to ask the school and if you are concerned about the teacher lowering his grades because of it you can go above her to ask for testing if you don't feel you are being heard.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

My 11 yr old son has dysgraphia, dyslexia, a central auditory processing disorder and a working memory disorder. All of his symptoms started right away though. I am not sure if they would consider it that if his handwritting was better before and is not worse. I could be wrong though but it never hurts to ask the school and if you are concerned about the teacher lowering his grades because of it you can go above her to ask for testing if you don't feel you are being heard.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

Closed Thread