It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

balivion HB User
Can any one help me

Hi, I have never posted on this board before, but I have read alot of the post here. I am severely in need of opinions, or I guess to know that I am not alone in this with my son.

I will appologize up front for the length of this post. And thank those who take the time to read it and respond.

My son is almost 9 years old. He is in third grade this year, and is developed ALMOST to a Kindergarten level if I give him a lot of credit for things he does do. He has always been delayed, but I was always told " he will catch up, just takes time and patience and alot of 1 on 1 activity"

Well he has been in speech therapy since he was 2 and occupational therapy as well. However, he still can not speak correctly, he has problems communicating with people who do not know him well. He is FINALLY begining to be able to read "sight words" He has no concept what so ever of math, addition, subtraction etc... and now the class is moving on to multiplication, and I feel sorry for him cuz he is still tryin for 1+1.

He on top of this is very very moody. One minute he will be fine, the next he seems to be almost depressed, he is very defiant. Has to be told over and over and over again to do little things. Simple things that his little brother who is not yet two has no problems doing.

He just learned to tie his shoes this past summer when his kid sister who is only 6 taught him how to do so.

I see my son in 3rd grade for the rest of his years if I can not figure out what is wrong with him. My doctor has all but given up on tryin to figure it out, and I am so frustrated I do not know what to do any more.
He can not sit still long enough to do anything, he switches from task to task very quickly and even when he is watchin t.v he is making some other kind of noise or motion while he is doing so. He can not watch a movie with out moving around or talking throughout the entire thing. I know these are signs of ADD or ADHD (only know that cuz my daughter has it bad) however, my doctor doesnt think this is the case with him.

On the flip side, he can sit infront of a video game for HOURS, never move from the seat other than to use the restroom, and then he is reluctant to go even then. Any game he is presented with, he accomplishes within a week or two, and then thats it for that game. Puzzles he can do, but he moves around alot more when he does a puzzle and he seems to do it just by standing there for a moment, and then he starts putting it together like the pieces are jumping up at him.

He has very few friends, and gets picked on alot at school as well. I hate homework, cuz by the time we are done with 3 problems in math and two pages of a pre k book he is crying and I am mad. I do not know what to do for him, or what kind of doctor I should be lookin into taking him to. Any suggestions or stories that have turned out good would be GREATLY appreciated. I need some kind of hope

Thanks,
me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Can any one help me

I'm so sorry you're going through this with your son...it must be very difficult! I'm here looking for answers also so I don't have much advice but I wanted to ask if your son's doctor has done an MRI. Sometimes they can be revealing.

I have a neurological condition that was discovered when I had an MRI to rule out MS (thankfully I don't have MS ). We thought that I was asymptomatic but I have a receptive learning disability (possibly a condition called CAPD: Central Auditory Processing Disorder...medical way of saying I don't understand a great deal of what is spoken ).

To tell you the truth I was relieved to find that I wasn't just "stupid" (which is what I had convinced myself of while in school). I had thought that I was just too dumb to learn but what I discovered is that I just have to learn differently...and so does your son .

Your son needs a dr and educators that are willing to work with both of you to optimize on your son's potential. It's wrong for his dr to "give up" or simply run out of answers...your son deserves the opportunity to receive a specialized, adequate education. If his dr feels he can no longer help you and your son then the dr needs to give you a referral to someone that can help. In the mean time it's good to research anything and everything you can about learning delays and disabilities. Don't believe for a minute that there are no answers or hope for your son...there is!! Keep looking until you find them.

My heart goes out to you!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. If your son likes video games do you think he'd go for educational software (just don't tell him it's educational )?

Closed Thread