It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
(male)

Confuse HB User
Difficulty comprehending what I read, what is wrong with me?

I found this forum the most appropriate to write to. I have often found it very difficult to comprehend what I read; I often think of other things while I read, forget what I am reading, and overall just not get the big picture of what I read. I am a very forgetfull person, I have to write stuff on my hands in order to remember tasks. Those are the biggest symptoms I experience when I read. My mind sort of doses off and I keep reading, then it comes to the point where I don't know what I am reading. When I read a chapter for a college class, and we go over it in school, its like I've never read it in the first place. Some things are vaguely familiar as in "Oh I think I've read that" but not to the point where I know what the concept is about. If anyone can help me in giving me suggestions or anything, I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: Difficulty comprehending what I read, what is wrong with me?

With what you explained, it sounds more of an attention problem than an actual comprehension difficulty. You don't even have the chance to understand what you read when you really didn't read it in the first place.

My advice is to look up Attention Deficit Disorder. You explain the attention and memory problems mostly found in ADD.

If you wish for tips and help on ADD, you might want to search through *********** for possible remedies and advice on ways to lower possible distractions and keeping your mind on track. Even if you do not have the full disorder, the same remedies and advice can help your thought process.

I wish you the best of luck!

SGH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

teacherintexas HB User

I don't know if this is the type of suggestions you want, but there are lots of strategies you can use to understand what you read.

If you learn best when you hear the information, read your assignments into a tape recorder and listen to them while waxing your car or something that doesn't require much thought.

If you learn best when you see things, you can read a paragraph at a time, then make a web about the information. Put the main idea of the paragraph or topic in a circle then write details around the circle.

If you learn best when you write things down, take notes paragraph by paragraph to reread later.

If you learn best by doing something, you can make a poster of what you read.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
(female)

sarahbear2555 HB User

I just started college and have the same problem as you do. I was tested for learning disabilities and it turns out that while I have a high IQ I don't read fast enough and I have trouble remembering things. I suggest that you go to your college's DSPS office and tell them what your problems are. Most likely they will test you to see if you have a learning disability. If you do they can teach you ways to overcome your problems and suggest reasonable accomadations. It sounds like you could benifit from a tape recorder. They may evan offer someone to take notes for you. I have a hard time comprehending what I read too, so what they offered to me was a machine that acttually reads the text out loud to you, at your own pace. So that way you are hearing what you're reading, if that makes sense. Eventually I hope to not need it but for now it really helps with the comprhension thing. I hope that these tips help you out. Don't be affraid to ask for help. There many services at the college level that may be of help to you, all you have to do is seek them out. Good luck! Let me know if you'd like some more suggestions, I'd be glad to share what I know with you
Sarah

Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
(female)

chumley1976 HB User

I too have a reading comprehension disability. For me, this was discovered during my early grammar school years and was not taken care of. So here I was a freshman in college and I was reading at an 8th grade level. This was found after taking a reading placement test. I took a reading class in college which was totally life changing for me. I learned how to skim chapters, break down a chapter and determine the main ideas, and summarize an entire chapter into one sentence. It was a very powerful tool because I finally learned "HOW" to read.
After the class, I was reading at 13th grade level. To this day, I still read slower than other's and have to invest more time and attention on the material. If your school offers any type of reading class, I HIGHLY suggest you take it. Please do not think you will not make it through college. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology and was in the Honors College. I am also proud to say that I am currently working on my Master's in Counseling Psychology.
I don't know that it is necessarily Attention Deficit Disorder as this is typically diagnosed in children. Just know you CAN succeed. P.S. I have a horrible short-term memory, but superior long-term memory. The opposite is true for most people. So I am able to recall information from years ago and people can't believe it. So I consider myself in some ways gifted. I wish you the best of luck

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Oh my gosh!

You sound exactly like me!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
(female)

ss_rebel_yell HB User

Crikey, this is me too.

I find myself doing this all the time, my mind starts to think about what i've got to do the next day and all sorts.... how many times do i have to read the same sentence for something to sink in.... and then when its finally embedden and i understand what i have actually read, i forget it all.

Even though i have been successful in physical jobs, even my own business at one time, anything that needs my brain to function with words etc is impossible.

If it wasn't for this then i am sure that i could get degrees in all sorts of areas as i otherwise feel i am quite bright.

rebel

Old 12-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

confusedmember HB User

you sound like me. Although I have verbal Dyspraxic meaning i know what i want to say but i cant say it and when i read stuff i cant picture anything un less im concentrating really hard. For more info about dyspraxic go to [url]http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/*********.php?t=645[/url]

Last edited by confusedmember; 12-08-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Closed Thread