It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jemma02 HB User
i think i might have a learning problem

Well when i was younger, i was kinda good at school in yr 6, i got all level 4s and that is average for my age. I am now in secondary school in yr 9 going to be getting my sats end of this year and im worrying soo much because i done mock sats before christmas and i got really bad marks still only level 4s
im soo worried i got revision books for english and maths when i try and read one of the books i just cant take it in at all i read it over and over again and i dont get newhere i got maths homework last week and i didnt no how to do it so i searched the internet to find out how to do them and i read all of it and it didnt make sence sorry for not using comars etc cause im writting fast and cant be botherd to put them in is this a disorder i have ?? thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: i think i might have a learning problem

May be you need a personnal tutor? Can your parents afford it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

It doesn't sound like an actual "disorder", to me. Considering you have average grades and seemingly, you do well otherwise. I'd also have to suggest a tutor. Your reading (having to read something over a number of times) could have to do with either comprhension or cencentration. Either one can be overcome with extra studying, organization and practice.

SGH

Old 04-26-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

grandma.intense HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma02
Well when i was younger, i was kinda good at school in yr 6, i got all level 4s and that is average for my age. I am now in secondary school in yr 9 going to be getting my sats end of this year and im worrying soo much because i done mock sats before christmas and i got really bad marks still only level 4s
im soo worried i got revision books for english and maths when i try and read one of the books i just cant take it in at all i read it over and over again and i dont get newhere i got maths homework last week and i didnt no how to do it so i searched the internet to find out how to do them and i read all of it and it didnt make sence sorry for not using comars etc cause im writting fast and cant be botherd to put them in is this a disorder i have ?? thanks
My nephew was tested before 9th grade for ADD. He tested positive for ADD but also had a high aptitude for Science. he just could not concentrate!
he started on meds and it changed his life!! he does not take them if he is not in school.
My niece--his sister, did not get diagnosed until college!!! Don't wait to get tested and be sure your parents go to someone reliable!
ADD runs in families. I can always tell when my nephew is not on his meds. he just seems to be in an alternate reality not able to focus on on anything more than a few mins.

or perhaps you need to go to a reading center. There are other issues conneccted to Senory Integration Disorder that inhibit your ability to understand the words and what they mean. It has nothing to do with IQ!!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
(female)

Miss P. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchGreatHeight
It doesn't sound like an actual "disorder", to me. Considering you have average grades and seemingly, you do well otherwise. I'd also have to suggest a tutor. Your reading (having to read something over a number of times) could have to do with either comprhension or cencentration. Either one can be overcome with extra studying, organization and practice.

SGH
If she has difficulty with comprehension, then she should be getting assistance. A lot of people need to be taught how to look for important information, to have it "broken down," and simplified, and need tools to help them retain it.

I teach a variety of kids...and good grades don't mean that they don't have difficulty. Most of my kids are in some Integrated classrooms, and others in full Special Ed. classrooms, and others in full General Ed. for academics. Personally, on my caseload, I have at least 3 students who are Special Ed. for Learning Disabilities (comprehension, word processing) who are in all Gen Ed classes, and they struggle, but work their asses off to pull A's and B's.

Jemma, if you are having difficulty learning, you need to contact your school counselor, and if (s)he and other teachers have also noticed a problem, there are ways to get you help. You are entitled for assistance, whether that be accessing help at school, or being tested for a learning disability. (For the latter, your parents will have to be notified and consent to testing, which will likely be done by the school psychologist. From there, you will have a meeting with Special Ed. personnell at your school.)

Good luck...

Last edited by Miss P.; 07-06-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Closed Thread