It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User
My 6yr old's summary

My 6yr old has been having trouble in kindergarten, her teacher sent a referral for her to be evaluated from the school Psychological Service. All her test's are done and I was sent this letter. I do not have another meeting until the 17th, but I was wondering if anyone know's what exactly this means? Here is the summary from the Psychologist:
Currently Sierra's intellectual ability falls at below average. This score is within a range of the lower extreme to below average for the Mental Processing Index. Sequential skills are at average and represent her ability to remember information and put it in order. Nonverbal skills falls in the below average range and indicate difficulty with visual-spatial visual imagery and visual memory.

Acquistion of academic skills is commensurate to above measured overall intelligence showing strengths and weaknesses for Sierra. Further assessment of her verbal ability and visual-spatial ability indicated a deficiet for visual-spatial thinking. She does have difficulty with verbal comprehension and possibly could benefit from language development.

So, is this all bad? Or, is it not so bad and I just don't know what I am looking at? Any info would be great......Thanks, Ralinda

Old 04-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

teacherintexas HB User
Re: My 6yr old's summary

It sounds like she has a low IQ and will need some extra help in a resource or pull out program at school.

As a positive, it's good that these needs are identified early so your daughter can get as much help as needed. When kids get extra help early, it makes a huge difference in the long run. I've had students in third and fourth grade who were referred for testing as early as kindergarten, and the parents refused. The children were then not eligible for extra help and got so far behind they had almost no hope of catching up and performing on grade level.

You may already be doing these things, but I have no way of knowing! Interact as much as you can with your daughter, limit television and video games, read lots of books, play board games, word games- even in the car and grocery store, and do as many hands on activities as possible to stregthen pathways in the brain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I work with her one on one everyday for an hour. She has made 100% progress since school first started, but she is not where she need's to be. She is more like she is just starting Kindergarten. I make sure to always praise her for what she has done. I know it could be a long process, I am just so confussed about the letter. I can't wait until the 17th so we can sit down and discuss everything..Thanks for the reply, Ralinda

Old 04-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

bowva HB User

If you are able to cope financially, I would strongly recommend getting some private testing done by a child psychologist. The school our son was in had him tested, and the results didn't show any red flags. We were still suspicious however, and had him tested privately by a really good child psychologist Those results showed a learning disability. We have since been able to get him the help he needs (and I could write a whole other page on that). I'm sure you are going through stressful times now worried about your child. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

bowva HB User

Sorry..........I may not have been clear. The point I was trying to make in my first reply, was that it's extremely worthwhile to get a second opinion if you can. You need to know exactly what you're dealing with.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Well, I had the meeting at school with the psychiatrist,teacher,ese cooridnator,school speech/language teacher...And, the plan is to hold Sierra back in Kindergarden and she will be pulled out of her class for a couple of hours a day, and go to the ESE class for more one on one...The said the don't think the problem is a Learning disability but more that she has not matured for her age. The thinking is she will close the gap with in this year and she will be closer to her "birth age". So, I am just going to keep working with her everyday this summer and hope with this summer and the extra help next year that she will mature and hopefully that will be it..IF not, I am glad she is getting the help she needs at a young age...Thanks for all of your replys......Ralinda

Old 06-04-2006, 05:19 AM   #7
(female)

Lynn1973 HB User

Hello Ralinda30
My son is 8, and he has a learning disability, When the teacher called me in to have a meeting with the special ed teacher and the princible and her, they told me they thought he would benifit for going to a school with special ed classes where he could get the help he needed all day, instead of just an hour a day at the school he was at, although I always suspected he needed it, I was incomplete shock when they told me. All I did was cry for about a week. I didnt wanted my son to be pinned as a "special needs kid". Well he has been in this new school for 8 months now, and he is doing awsome, every spelling test he has done at that school so far has come home 100% he has the confidence he never had at his old school, and they are working more at his level than at the other school where he wasnt able to keep up with them and was falling way behind.
So I guess what im trying to tell you is if she does need to go for the extra help t hink of it as a blessing that she is getting the extra help she needs and is not falling through the cracks.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Thanks so much Lynn.....I am glad he is also getting the help he needs. They went ahead and passed her to the first grade, they thought this would be best for her since she is getting pulled out of class for a few hours anyway...They will be working at her level..I wasn't to sure about passing her, but after listening to everyone it made more sense. I hope everything goes well for you, and I am glad they caught this early and she is getting the extra help...Ralinda

Last edited by Ralinda30; 06-04-2006 at 12:05 PM.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
(female)

Lynn1973 HB User

Passing her threough was the right thing to do. Its better to pass her through and keep her with her friends and her age group than hold her back, They passed my son to then in grade 2 decided to get him the extra help.
Although he misses his friends at the old school he has made new ones at this school and I dont regret him going there a bit.
Best of luck with your daughter, and dont let a day go by without telling her how proud you are of her. The confidence does wonders for them.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
(female)

Lynn1973 HB User

Passing her threough was the right thing to do. Its better to pass her through and keep her with her friends and her age group than hold her back, They passed my son to then in grade 2 decided to get him the extra help.
Although he misses his friends at the old school he has made new ones at this school and I dont regret him going there a bit.
Best of luck with your daughter, and dont let a day go by without telling her how proud you are of her. The confidence does wonders for them.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
(female)

wiredfm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowva
Sorry..........I may not have been clear. The point I was trying to make in my first reply, was that it's extremely worthwhile to get a second opinion if you can. You need to know exactly what you're dealing with.
Once a parents finds out the learning disorder, its wise to have the child re-tested each year, till they go off to college.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
(female)

arvc HB User

ralinda 30,
Have your child tested by an independant testing site, not affiliated with the school. I have dealt with the school for years and talked with many others who have to and they can easily misunderstand a child. Not that people can not get good results I'm sure they do.My childs eyes were checked at school because of learning problems, they said his eyes were in normal range. We'll I took him elsewhere and the eye dr said my sons eye sight was 20/100 and had a severe lazy eye. He required glasses with the strength of +9.00 with a bifocal. This was a big difference in test results. My son has whats called written expression disorder and add. The school tried to get out of testing him and when they did they made it seem not as serious as it was. If he needed special ed, they had to provide more for him and possibly pay out more money. I hope you realize your child needs a 504 plan if the disability causes impairments. This says specifically what your child is suppose to receive. If they don't have this the school has no set guidelines for your child. A verbal agreement means nothing. After you test your child independently ask the dr about an iep plan for your child and if its neccessary. This is a security net for your daughter and her right to learn and the school must follow it. You have an input on what you think should be done for her, and if you don't agree with something do not sign anything and talk to your childs dr. I would love to believe the school puts the childs best interest at heart but they do not always. Some schools and teachers go way beyond their call to help children.YEAH you guys are a blessing! But others see it as an infringement upon their time and yes it does cut into their time and they should be paid more, but your daughter is entitled to it regardless. I have seen a lot of people not get a 504 or iep for their child and regret it. This may seem drastic and others may say hold up on that, I didn't do it because the school promised to help him and they were so nice. That didn't stop them from failing him though. We had no legal aggreement with the school to help him. A couple of calls to my local school board and he was passed and now has an iep designed for him for several years. My son masters
his tcaps with 95% plus in the catergories. It was just a matter of getting beyond the issue of handwriting and teachers giving multiple choice/fill in the blank/photocopying pages out of a book/typing assignments/less problems to have to work out/less sentences to write and so on. Because teachers are so overwhelmed at times offer to help your childs teacher with whatever her accomadations might be. I am willing to copy myself or type out the sentences for him to underline and etc. Keep a journal of any discussions you might have with your child's teacher, special ed, principal and so forth. It can be beneficial to you in understanding and remembering later what each of you said. As I said test her elsewhere and see if she needs these special plans that I have discussed, her dr will give you the best advice not the school.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Thanks to all, well we tried to have her in her normal 1st grade for the first 8 wks of school, but she wasn't catching on....I decided to put her in ese full time....What an improvment for her....Even though she is in 1st grade she is learning about what an advanced kindergarden would be...I am so proud of her and how far she has came..We worked real hard over the summer and to see the smile on her face and not to hear her cry because she doesn't want to go to school is priceless....I love her teacher and the aid...There is only 6 children in the class so she get's so much extra attention....I am going to get her tested by an independent Dr...I would love to see what the improvement is...Thank all of you for your support..And good luck to all...Ralinda

Closed Thread