It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #1

alwaysBhind HB User
Question auditory issue?

Hi to all. I have a daughter almost 13. Through out her growing up, she has always struggled with speaking. Not so much articulation, as word retrieval. She sometimes can't think of words to describe things, or tell a story. Spelling is not her strong point. She occasionally mixes up letters. Being able to converse with peers can be hard for her. Thru my insistence to the school, she attended speech class 3rd thru 5th grade to help w/phonics and combined sounds. They did not believe she has dyslexia when I asked. In the past, I have hired tutors to help. She has always scored low (or even failed) the I-step testing at school. But this is the weird part...She is an A/B honor roll student. Works her butt off. Loves to read, but (I'm pretty sure) rarely finishes a book, unless it is a class assignment. Every summer the school recommends her for "remediation" thru Summer school. We all hate this. I believe a kid should have a summer break! If she doesn't go, it will look bad in her school records...especially if she flops the 10th grade I-step.
(The test that tells if you get to graduate or not!) I am discouraged on what to do for her next. Her self esteem is touchy right now. and not having any close friends does not help. Friendships are hard to strike, if you talk funny or don't get jokes, or keep up with a complex conversation. I really want advice on 2 things. 1) gaining friends issue and 2) can someone recommend a home based program (vhs, cd, workbooks, etc. on "mild dyslexia" or whatever this "hold-up" is?
I can and will work with my girl. She is a delight, with a heart of gold, and deserves so much more. Thanx, just another proud mom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

teacherintexas HB User
Re: auditory issue?

Has she been tested at school for learning disabilities? Usually at my school, when students are entered into speech, they are also given a comprehensive test, but that may not be the same everywhere. A good diagnostician can pinpoint learning problems and can formulate a plan for fixing weaknesses.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #3
(female)

Miss P. HB User

As far as gaining friends, do you have a local YMCA or community (or even a teen church group) where she can partake in some kind of activities with her peers? That might help.

I also agree with teacherintexas about having her tested for LD at school. LD encompasses SO many things, and it seems like she has a history and really struggles with some skills.

I don't know about home-based programs, BUT I'm sure you could work with her school/teachers and see if there is any additional resources you can be given to supplement what she is learning. For example, I have some students with auditory recall/verbal processing difficulties, and we order them books (novels AND texts) on CD. Most of them use the CD and read the text at the same time. She may retain more since it is being presented in multiple ways.

We also use a strategy when our kids read novels/texts...we give them Post-It notes, and they are to make some kind of note about a connection they made. Then, when they go back and skim through for a test or whatnot, they can trigger what thought/opinion they had about the information in the text. (Does that make sense?)

Also, depending on the information that she needs to know, she can always draw pictures to help remember and describe what she is trying to convey. For the spelling - if it accounts for her grade- maybe try using a word processor + spell check, or having you or a peer edit her work.

Let us know how she's doing!

Old 07-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
(female)

c. cheetah HB User

Hey!

Well, I am a Special Education teacher and can only offer my opinion from the little info from your post - I would definitely ask the district to give her standardized achievement tests, such as the WISC-III or of the such. Also knowing her IQ score will help - you say she gets A's and B's - good for her! Just keep praising her for all of her hard work. If you think she is bright, here are some suggestions:

Possibly a Learning Disability (IQ is average, achievement is low)
Auditory Processing disorder
Possibly dyslexia - phonetically based - usually good with learning things auditorily but struggles with reading fluency, written expression, definitely spelling - should have a phonetically based reading program in place - I HIGHLY recommend Wilson Reading program - woman created the program to teach illiterate prisoners to learn to read

Hope this helps!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #5

alwaysBhind HB User
Exclamation Re: auditory issue?

Brief update. My sweetie went thru extensive testing to find out what is going on. 3 professionals say she has add. I think that's a crock of doo doo.
Apparently, several of those specialized tests showed "inattention". I just can't help thinking this add/adhd stuff is (mostly) over-diagnosed. Anyone and everyone learns at different speeds and approaches. And as far as (most) hyperactivity goes....most kids need a big area to burn off energy.
I have read so many conflicting statements that it makes me dizzy. I do not want to put my kid on stimulants to "produce" a more stream-lined human.
Plus, it scares the be-jeebies out of me to guess what I could be messing up in her still growing brain...and body. It kinda honks me off to think I spent over $2400.00 for this group to plop a designer label on her. I work in the health care industry and see on a daily basis the amount of pharmaceuticals that are pumped into society.....for the sake of health, of course.....poppy ****. It's for the bucks. I could go on and on .... just really chaps me.
Back to my kid - I will tutor her myself...I will start a more specific phonics program and when that's mastered.....more math. The sky is the limit...not a label....and no chemicals.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
(female)

junefitzs2 HB User
Post Re: auditory issue?

Several things come to mind. Have you had her hearing checked? Has she seen a pediatrician? If she found dealing with tests it may be a fault of the test and not your daughter. A good pediatrician should be able to work out what the precise problem is. Also how does she get on with peers in purely social situations? If this is very stressful for her it might suggest other areas to examine.

Last edited by junefitzs2; 10-17-2006 at 01:49 AM.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
(female)

Hoopa7p HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysBhind View Post
Brief update. My sweetie went thru extensive testing to find out what is going on. 3 professionals say she has add. I think that's a crock of doo doo.
Apparently, several of those specialized tests showed "inattention". I just can't help thinking this add/adhd stuff is (mostly) over-diagnosed. Anyone and everyone learns at different speeds and approaches. And as far as (most) hyperactivity goes....most kids need a big area to burn off energy.
I have read so many conflicting statements that it makes me dizzy. I do not want to put my kid on stimulants to "produce" a more stream-lined human.
Plus, it scares the be-jeebies out of me to guess what I could be messing up in her still growing brain...and body. It kinda honks me off to think I spent over $2400.00 for this group to plop a designer label on her. I work in the health care industry and see on a daily basis the amount of pharmaceuticals that are pumped into society.....for the sake of health, of course.....poppy ****. It's for the bucks. I could go on and on .... just really chaps me.
Back to my kid - I will tutor her myself...I will start a more specific phonics program and when that's mastered.....more math. The sky is the limit...not a label....and no chemicals.

Have your child tested for a Central Auditory Processing Disorder. This is a specialized test that is done by an Audiologist.

Last edited by Hoopa7p; 03-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
(female)

perrito HB User

Many students work very hard and still cannot achieve the test scores that put them at grade level and label them as "acceptable". As a teacher who sees this day in and day out, this saddens me. We need to remember that we need to look at the whole picture with each child. I have had many gifted and exceptional students who failed state exams and were given to me (as a teacher of students reading below grade level) to supposedly help turn around. We need to remember that these state exams are tests that are given to our children in one moment of time (many of whom are hormonal middle schoolers!). In today's society of "No Child Left Behind", students are to perform or not and -they are judged on those results, in that one moment of time. This is why we give grades to students based on their performance over a certain amount of time. Hopefully, most schools look at grades in addition to state exams before they make decisons to hold a child back in school. We need to be careful about judging our children on one or two state exam scores. We need to look at the whole child and what they accomplish based on many ways of measuring their learning - not just state exams.

Closed Thread