It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Exclamation i KNOW somethings wrong.. but what?

sense i was little, ive had trouble with anything and everything verbal.
for years wen i was first lrenaing to read, but i was on amuch much lower reaidng level than allof my class mates, my parents balmed the school for "not teahcng me phonics" .. they taught me phonics and i told my parents they did but they didnt listen.

by the time i was 14 i had strated telling my teachers i was dyslexic, but after meeting a couple of dyslexic people i dont think i am. i mean i have symptoms of it but i think its .. bigger?

im now 17, i have a rather large vocabulary but i get it very jubmbled up (words indevidually and grammer itself), i misspell wrieting and typing, i dont understand spoken words sometimes, i cant Speak words sometimes,

so of course i happen to be an artist or id go insane, i began draiwng to make people understand me, and i have an extremly abnromal ability to learn things visually MUCH faster than anyone normal, i think thi is related to my poor verbal skills, like my brian is wired oddly, like i could picture little construction workers in my head saying "visual gets 85% and verbal gets 15%, got that bob?"

my school thinks im just a slacker, becuase i also have memory problems and no matter how close i listen i often have to ask my teacher to repeat 2 seconds later, and often they wont!

is there a name for whats worng with me? :< or anything anyone can tell me at all?
my mom Finally decided im not faking it becuase shes heard me reading outlowd to myself alone, and she wants me to ask my school counceler to give me whatever tests he thinks i need to figure this out in a couple of weeks (school starts next week for me, im in high school still) so ill try that.

---
oh i was out of shcol for a year and a half, but my current docter (though i adore him) is useless to help me becuase of his current age, hes just.. VERY old, and he can hardly wlak anymore, so he hasnt even successfully tearted and ear infectionive had for over a year now~!
meaning, he cant vouch for me at shcool saying i was sick, not dropping out, and i NEED a 504 program or ill NEVER be able to get to te enxt grade, muchless graduate high school, and i dont know if my NEW docter who didnt even know me at teh time can vouch for me saying i was indeed and still am sick ( though im feeling much better <3 im still permanently ill with fibromyalgia and all of its horrid addons like hypoglyemia, unabanced PH, adrenal hormone problems, etc. )

sometiemsi get sick, often actually, and i have to stay home, and i cnat do my shcool work, and i cant deal with verbal stuff well, BUT i have a genios IQ, so no one takes my problems seriously when it comes to school

is there -any- way i can make them help me? i love school, especially science, math, and art, and i reeeaaally want to graduate and go to an art institute, i dont wnat a dinky GED, i want REAL classes where i can REALLY learn, is that too much to ask?

Last edited by iyami; 08-09-2006 at 09:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User
Re: i KNOW somethings wrong.. but what?

You must be more right brained (or left - whichever is the creative side).

Do what you can to get the 504 and accept your problem as a "fun quirk" type of thing.

If you can laugh at yourself - the world laughs with you. (is that the saying? hahahaha) but it's kind of true. You need to be able to laugh about some of your quirks that make you unique. It'll help YOU out tremendously.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

its NOT "fun" in any way, and i sometimes joke about it but its a major problem.

its not as simple as being right or left brained, most studnest i know are better in two subjects than two others, andi get that, but this is alot.. bigger. like.. having one of your breasts an A cup and the other an E. its a huge noticable difference taht majorly interheres iwth my daily life.

thank you, and not to sound rude, becuase im sure you mean well, but the whole point of posting here was to find advice from someone who understands how much this problem is effecting me, and you dont seem to.

ive just barley mannaged to pass up untill halfway through 9th grade, and i cnat pass any more, im failing all of my classes becuase i have verbal problems. i cant finish tests in teh given time, i cant read 2 text book pages in 5 minutes when assigned during class, etc. if i dont get help i am never going to be able to gradtaute high school at this rate, much less go to college.

Last edited by iyami; 08-10-2006 at 03:40 PM.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

Mirrors HB User

From you've told us, I've got your "problem", too.

Little sounds that most people seem to look over, such as florescent lights buzzing, coughing and ruffling, are amplified so loud that it gets to the point where I can't concentrate. But oddly when a person speaks to me, their words just slide past my ears and I'll have to ask them to repeat.

And as loving as I am about words, my speech can come out jumbled and messy if I don't focus. My sentences seem to be very complicated and weird.

It sounds like you're a Visual-Auditory learner. Yes, it's a major problem when it comes to school. We're very intelligent people and are wonderful problem solvers, but most of the academic world isn't built for us. I'm also an artist and I find that it helps relieve all the tension I get from working so hard to make good grades.

It's a difficult thing to live with, but you have to learn to work with it and be proud of your gifts.

You can read more on the Visual-Auditory learning here:

[url]http://www.nswagtc.org.au/ozgifted/conferences/SwordVisualSpatial.html[/url]

Hope this helps!

-Mirrors

Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User

i hadnt heard of that, but im reaidng it now and every single thing it says matches me so perectly its almost insane! <3 <3 <3 <3 my little brother has the problem to andihad no idea untill i read this that he was that much like me in teh sense, im so gald it was cought when hes only 8, i went through total hell in school ever sense 2nd grade, and now he wont have to~

ive already set up to be evaluated at my shcool for problems, im going tp print that page out and bring it in <3

i especially love that this will prove to my parents, who were the most discourageing of all becuase they "know how smart i am and i can do better, im lieing if i say im trying my hardest already", that i was NOT lieing.

thanks so much for showing me this~ i relaly probably couldnt ahve graduated highschool without it, i was so past close to giving up.

Last edited by iyami; 08-26-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Closed Thread