It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

flourishing HB User
Question Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Hi, Yesterday I took my 5 year old so to an Audiologist and she confirmed what my husband and I suspected - our son has Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Our DS has been attending Speech Therapy since April 2005 and Occupational Therapy since about August 2005. I do "homework" with him for roughly 20 minutes every week night using speech and occupational therapy work to help him. We were told last month that he didn't need to attend therapy anymore (after an assessment was done), he has another assessment in September with a different therapist (our second opinion) to see what their recommendation is

DS is in Pre-Primary and is going into Grade 1 next year, we can see him stuggling and being kept down next year if we can't help him now but we don't know what to do - we are feeling around in the dark now and trying to learn everything we can about this learning disorder, the school is supportive but they don't know anything about it either

As we were leaving the Audiologist's office yesterday, she didn't tell me much about this at all and gave me a printout of two computer programs they sell to help suffers, but we don't want this to be the only option for our son

I would like to know how other parents with children suffering with this have coped and what they have done to help their child - I'm desperate for any advice

Old 08-29-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

flourishing HB User
Re: Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Thankyou cliochannel, I can get that from our local bookshop. Their website says it's on their best seller list LOL so it must be good.

I'll go down tomorrow and order it. Again, thankyou so much for replying

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #3
(female)

lauraclare HB User

Hi flourishing,
I am also in Perth and it was amazing to read your post as The same thing has occured to us. My 5 yr old son was diagnosed with CAPD this week. We are still in the dark about it really so I was wondering if you have found anyone or anything that has helped your son. My son attends pre primary in language Develpoment Centre as he has dyspraxia. Anyway I hope that all is going well for you and your son.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi lauraclare

Wow another sandgroper

I'm still researching ways to help our son. We have heard of the Fast Forword program but children can't start that until they are 6 years old and it costs $1700 for 8 weeks

We have quite a few books that we work from that you can get from Kmart, Target, Toys R Us and bookshops (Angus & Robertson, etc). Some of the books we have a KinderGarten Scholar, Mazes and Preschool Scholar which are all from the School Zone Publishing Company. Also Gold Stars books and some books we got given by a friends sister (a pre-primary teacher).

These are fun books that encourage number counting, exploration, critical thinking, hands on learning, letter sounds, perceptual skills, hand-eye co ordination, fine motor skills, problems solving, maths and more.

We also use activities we learnt during Speech and Occupational therapy. I have been told that Wooldridges (the school stationery suppliers) have a good range of activity books for children with learning difficulties but I haven't made it over to their Osborne Park office yet.

We do outside activities too (like playing on the trampoline, scooter, bike, etc) so our son uses and hones his skills and doesn't realise he is learning. All these seem to help our son and he enjoys doing the activities - whether they be inside or outside.

We have had to alter the way we give instructions to our son and make sure he understands and hears all that we say correctly. I think we on the right track, but we are still feeling around in the dark and hoping for the best. I have ordered the book "When the Brain Can't Hear" that cliochannel recommended and am waiting to receive it.

We haven't found anyone that is willing to help us properly yet, I've been searching and will continue my quest

Have you found anything helpful to your son yet?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

monkey3 HB User
Unhappy Re: Central Auditory Processing Disorder

Hello everyone down under - all of my family - except me live in Sydney, it has now been discovered that my 6.5 year old nephew has a severe form of dyslexia in addition to central auditory processing problems. Are there any state funded programs that any one knows of? Where should my sister begin researching? He currently has a therapist which does OT and helps with the dyslexia for 1 hour a week I dont believe 1 hour could help anyone if his condition is that severe. Please let me know if you have time websites or books to read or where to even begin. I would hate to see this bright, loving little boy not reach his full potential due to lack of help and low self asteem issues which have already surfaced. The poor little thing knows he cant read and already feels different and isolated - we all know where that can lead, drugs etc. Please help us. My sister and her husband have 2 other children a 1 year old and a 3 year old, needless to say no extra cash for private therapy.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

minkymandy HB User

Hi Everyone,

I realize this is several months later, but had to tell you about something I came across. My son, who is 8 1/2 now, was diagnosed with "speech dyspraxia" by a paediatric neurologist at age 3 because he didn't speak at all. I had an older son who spoke very early so I knew there was something wrong. He has gone to speech pathology, special education unit at Miami Primary school on the Gold Coast and I put him in a "normal" school because I thought he was over it. He is in year 3 and having problems with focus, handwriting, spelling and his social interaction isn't at the level it should be. We are seeing that he has CAPD and I have researched on the Internet a program called "The Listening Program"...search it out...we are buying it today and hopefully this will help "cure" the problem (as he isn't severe). We are buying it from the USA for around $1200...but to me, it's worth it if it can cure him rather than just treat the symptoms.

All the best!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
(female)

seeking tao HB User

my son was undaignosed,is now 21,, and has huge issues,
in canada, we got the diagnosis, of Xpressive /Receptive LD..this sound similar.
i am very happy to know it is being caught early, as my understanding, is that when found early,, great things happen.
i now have a very frustrated young man, mad at world, and highly charged with shame, and down on himself all the time,

i am pleased to know we have come a long way.
my son communicated s best by writing stuff down, instead of saying it, as his memory retirval , do to auditory issues,, not so good,

be ccreative,
nessecity is the mother of invention!!

good luck
peace Dea

Closed Thread