It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Jeanne211 HB User
Anyone have any insight?

For as long as I can remember, I have forgotten words. Even simple words such as chair or lightbulb. I am also horrible at remembering new words. My vocabulary is very small, especially considering that I am a university graduate. I also forget people's names, even my brother's name. I also use words such as it, them or that when I am speaking about objects. The problem is, no one knows what I am talking about because I didn't name the object.

I have no problem with written language however. I have acquired many English awards in highschool, and learned to read at a young age. While my writing is quite messy, my printing skills are average.

I had problems taking notes in university. Most of my notes were full of half completed sentences. Also, when I take notes, I miss everything the professor said while I wrote the sentence.

I can be listening to someone speak, but not understand what they are saying. I often say "Pardon?" when they are done speaking, and then figure out what they had originally said right afterwards. I cannot follow long conversations. This really bothers my husband because I either interrupt him to say something before I forget or I answer with a single word to his conversation.

I have difficulty watching television and often need to have subtitles on. In movie theatres, I have to plug my ears in order to hear the movie (sounds weird, I know). I cannot hear people speaking if there is background noise. I try to speak above background noise, but am accused of yelling by my husband.

I have no sense of direction. I also cannot follow directions easily. They need to be written out for me or else I forget.

Though it has not gotten worse as I have aged, I am quite embarrassed by how I speak. I have a hard time keeping my end of the conversation, so I generally try not to speak with people who don't know me. I recently moved to another country (from Ontario, Canada to California), and I am having difficulty with lonliness. I am hoping to figure out what my problem might be so that I can try to fix the problem, or at least understand it better.

If anyone has any insights, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeanne211; 11-22-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Anyone have any insight?

Jeanne211-
I am so sorry you are having these troubles. I know you are really frustrated about all of this. Have you every been screened for any kind of auditory processing disorder? Any kind of dyslexia? If not, then maybe it would be worth looking in to.

I can't give any other advice, but I can wish you the very best and hope that you are able to get some answers. My son sturggles with dyslexia and it really is frustrating because he is very intelligent, but has to work twice as hard as other students to make good grades.

Good Luck, and please stay in touch.

Closed Thread