It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

lucky7 HB User
New here with questions

I am a 34 yr old female. Here is my timeline:

Elementary: Did excellent and one of the top students in my classes.

Junior High: Started to do poorly. Could not concentrate. Found I was thinking of a lot of other things while trying to listen to the teacher in the classroom. How I passed Math, English, and Science was a surprise to me.

High School: same as above. I had to take remedial classes cause they were easier to me. Business math was super easy versus algebra and geometry. I had to go to a remedial English class my junior and senior year because I felt I could not do regular English. Biology was one of those things I memorized just to pass. However I did well in Geology, History, and electives. Graduated with the bottom quarter of my class.

College: did one year of college and dropped my Algebra class because I had no clue what I was doing. I thought if I tried a trade school I could do well. I did excellent but could not finish it due to unfortunate circumstances and had to move back home.

Honestly I feel like I either missed out on my education or I must have had some kind of learnign disability that prevented me from being able to concentrate more in school.

Sometimes I will read an article and I will have to go back several times just to understand what was said. I have comprehension problems. I have difficulties concentrating or remembering things. There are things I want to say but not sure how to properly say them. I know that I cant present a proper sentence if my life depended on it. That is so sad. My parents gave me so much hell and pounded on me to pay attention and do better but never took the time to find out what was really wrong with me. To them I was lazy and did not want to learn, but that wasnt the case because I often caught myself wondering if there was something wrong with me when I was in Jr High and doing so badly.

Now I am a mother to two beautiful girls. I quit my job (which was retail) to stay home and raise them. My husband has his bachelor's degree from a a very good university and supports us. Yet I feel like I could have done more with my life. Right now I just wish I could speak properly. I sound like a backwoods woman and I dont want to sound like that.

Currently I am helping out with the reading program at my child's kinder school. I can do that with out chopping it up. I am taking extra time to read to the children that dont have parents that read the stories to them and help them excel. I do not want my children or any other child slip through the cracks as I did.

My daughter has shown symptoms of ADHD and possibly something else but has not been dx yet. Her doctor said he wanted to wait. So for now I am staying by her side to make sure I can help her any way that I can. I made her wait another year to start kinder because I felt she was not mature enough to start. I am glad I did because she is fitting in well with her peers and learning ability. I know she woudl be struggling in first if I had put her there.

I listed several of my symptoms and I hope someone can tell me what is wrong with me and how to get help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
(female)

SwimmerGirl12 HB User
Re: New here with questions

Only a doctor can diagnose AD/HD, but a good one will do it with information from the school. Your school should first do an eval and then you can take it to your doctor. I think you are doing the right thing with your kids.

As far as you are concerned, you certainly expressed yourself well enough in writing here in your post. It sounds like you just didn't have any guidance growing up and no help finding your niche and learning style. We focus so much in society on "what is wrong" with people, when really we should focus on "what are our strengths?"

Maybe math isn't your thing. Maybe you don't learn information best by reading. It is too bad you didn't have guidance, but at this point in your life, start looking for things you are GOOD at. What interests you? Sounds like you do well at kinder care. Take some adult ed classes in areas you like. It is time to move toward the future and focus on what you CAN do. Maybe you can go to a "life coach"?

Closed Thread