It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

babydiva HB User
Unhappy Learning disability.

I have a learning disability and it sucks sometimes. I'm 21 years old and I have a younger sister who is 18. It's embaressing that she learns faster than me and it makes me feel bad. For example, she knows how to hook up cords in the back of the computer. She knows how to hook up the computer and the ****** and everything. I just got an mp3 player from my dad and I don't even know how to put songs on it from the computer. My younger sister does and she's doing it for me. I don't even know how to work her digital camera. I wish I was smart like my younger sister. I hate it that I'm slow. It's like her brain works well and mine doesn't or something. I mean, why is it that she knows how to do things I should know how to do? And the thing is she's younger than me. Plus once, when me and my b/f was at the mall I was lining up to buy food and I wasn't even in the line. I was in front where ppl put topings on their foods. One of the guys taking orders told me the line was on the other side and I felt bad. My b/f was there too and he looked at me....I wish I was smart.....

Last edited by babydiva; 12-29-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Re: Learning disability.

Babydiva

You should not feel bad about yourself. Every person is unique and has some things they are good at. You may be surprised if you sat down with a piece of paper and made a list of things that interest you and things you are good at.

Find ways to read about the things that interest you. You don't have to make it hard on yourself. You can spend as little time as you want reading about interesting things.

The reason I suggest reading is it is the key that unlocks the world to you. Other things you could do is actually do some of the things that interest you.

Please remember that people with learning disabilities have good days and bad days. I suspect you know when your day is good and when it is bad. Relax on bad days and do interesting things or read about interesting things on good days.

You can help yourself by making the effort to try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
(female)

babydiva HB User

I guess. I dunno. I mean, I do do things I like. I like reading depends on what though. I listen to music, sometimes sing, write, look at magazines at the library and well I go out even though I'm by myself half the time. But ya. I just.....I dunno. And I don't feel like this all the time though. It's just when my younger sister knows things that I don't know or does things I can't do. That feels ruff. But ya. I also have another issue. I don't like my breasts. There too small. A34. I am 21. I don't want implants. I wish my natural ones would grow. I like my body except my breasts. I'm going to make a post about it though some more. But um ya. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by babydiva; 01-02-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

babydiva HB User

Ahhh. Damn. This really sucks. I just went and got my mp3 player and was thinking maybe I could read the instructions on it and try to put some songs on it from the computer myself. But it turns out I can't even find the part on the computer where the usb plug is suppose to go. I was going to try to put some more songs on my mp3 player but since I was born stupid, with a learning disorder I can't do it. I can't do it even though my sister showed me how. She's younger than me and knows everything, but I was born stupid so thats why. I don't know why I can't use my brain properly. I guess it's meant to be that way. Cheers.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

AsthmaticGirl16 HB User

Im 17 (turned 17 3 months ago) and my sister is going to turn 19 in 2 months. I am larning disabled as well and shes not. I wish that sometimes I was smart like my older sister too. But I have came to the understanding that I am this way for a reson but it still hurts knowing that I will never be like my sister and I will never know half the stuff she knows how to do. It's hard, but I know that somehow, someway I will understand fully why I am like this and my sister isnt. Until then I just have to love my sister for who she is and love me for who I am.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
(female)

sunflower22 HB User

I have a learning disabilty I am slow at somethings. But other things I learn fast. I have an Ipod and I know how to put songs on it from my computer. Everyone has it a different way and learns different. I also have CP and TMJ

Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
(female)

babydiva HB User

Well ya, I guess. I know I shouldn't say negative things about myself but I dunno. Sometimes it just comes out. I actually figured out how to put the music on my mp3 player from the computer and from cd's. I don't remember how to delete them but thats ok. I am smart in alot of ways I know. But it's just that I feel bad sometimes when my younger sister knows things I don't and should know. Weather it's how to do something or just knowing it for the sake of knowing it. So um ya.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Morgan2007 HB User
People with learning disabilities are actually usually the ones with a higher intelligence. Albert Einstein is an example of a person with learning disabilities and you may be surprised with how many people that are considered highly intelligent actually have learning disabilities. Schools really need to make a change with which style they teach because it is not suited to everyone which is pretty poor since a lot of people have slipped through the cracks of the educational system and end up with unnecessary poor self esteem. .

Last edited by Morgan2007; 01-26-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

babydiva HB User

You know it's weird. My parents tell me I don't have a disability and then once my dad told me disability comes in all kinds. I think it's that I do have one, but not as bad as some ppl. Its not severe. But in my opinion weather it's bad or not, I have one, I mean my doctor even said I have one. Anyway I figured out what my disability is. Berfore, I thought I didn't have one before I found out I did. When I got the paper from high school stating Ontario Disability Program, I was in shock and confused. I was like huh? Disability? Me? Since when? But then I remembered that my math sucks. I got told math is the most important subject you should know. But then I thought well to my knowledge math is the only thing I 'm not good at. Accounting also cause well thats like math LOL. I also figured out that when I'm watching movies I won't get it. The main point of it Even if I consontrate, plus my mind tends to wonder off onto other things. My b/f states he has a disability too but I doubt it. He says it's reading. His reading's not so good. But atleast he understands movies. It's weird cause when I'm over at his house wtching a movie or if we go to the movies he explains to me whats going on and the point of the movie. It's embaressing too....I figure I should know. Whats wrong with me can't I watch the movie and see whats happening? Thats what I think durring those times. So I'm not sure what kind of disability is that one. The math one is learning disability but the movies one I don't know. Also when someone tells me to do something they have to explain a lil more than they would other ppl. Like my sister for example. It just clicks right away with her. But for me it doesn't. Also not sure what kind of disability is that. So (a) don't understand movies
(b) My math sucks
(c) PPl have to explain a lil more to me when asked to do something.
and (d) Soemtimes my mind wonders off onto other things that has nothing to do with what I'm doing at the time.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

candice12 HB User

babydiva as far as not being able to plug in cords into the back of the computer, or putting songs on your mp3 player or things like that. There is nothing wrong with that! Some people are electronically gifted. And they can do things without the directions. I can plug cords in and put songs on my mp3 player but when I go to show anyone else how to do it they are just like ugh whatever! Because they dont understand it. Not saying you don't have a learning disability but don't say something is wrong with you because of those things. My granny was a school teacher. Very inteligent woman, but when it comes to putting a DVD into a DVD player forget it. I have tried teaching her how to do it like 5 times. She is clueless! It does sound like ADD (attention deficite disorder) You can't pay attention to certian things and your mind wanders when you really want to focus on what you are trying to focus on. I would go see another doctor. There are wonderful meds out there for this type of thing. My best friend has ADHD - it's just the hyperactive kind and without her medicine she's crazy sometimes, but it calms her and puts her in perspective. Good luck. Please see someone else that can help you better! I'm worried about you!

Last edited by candice12; 02-17-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
(female)

worrydoll HB User

I have the same sort of problems as you with not understanding movies and I have comprehensive problems and often wondered if it was ADD or something like that but I don't have the behavioral problems that most people with ADD seem to have. I actually get allot of anxiety because of feeling like an idiot for not understanding things and it makes some people mad when I don't especially in a working environment. I would like to get some work from home because I don't want to get fired or have people frustrated with me but it is very hard to get a job from home. I know I have some sort of problem but it is hard to determine when I do well in some areas but don't succeed in the things I need to, to get by in life.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #12
(female)

Moody26 HB User

I have the same disablity i can read but i can't remember what i have read or when i watch tv or watch movies......and it frustrates me,i have the same disablity,so i know what you going through.

Closed Thread