It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
(female)

brida HB User
Getting frustrated! what is wrong?!

I am honestly completely out of ideas as to what could/is wrong with me. I think it may be some sort of a learning disability, but i really don't know. I'll explain :

I'm 18 years old, and I barely passed through high school and I'm almost finished with my first year in college. I remember all throughout my school-years every teacher telling me that i just need to "be a sponge, don't let things just go in one ear and out the other. Suck everything in and keep it in your mind." But I can't. My parents were always telling me that I'm so much smarter then I prove myself to be, which is true, but I just can't do anything about it.

No matter how much I study for a test, or for anything for that matter, I can't remember <i>anything</i>. Literally. For instance, I have no idea what my professor talked about in class today, even though i remember paying attention and taking notes. I could make notecards, and study them everyday until the day of a test and i still wouldn't have any idea what kind of bone marrow is in spongy bone. Or what Freud did for the world of psychology. I have never aced a test. i have never passed a test.
I have tried everything, even different ways of studying, and not even studying at all, or studying less, in case i was just overloading my brain. Nothing helps.

And it's not just tests. I can't remember anything. No matter how much i try to pay attention, i can't ever get my brain to focus on what's going on, at all. My brain is always going, thinking about other things. What other things? I have no freaking idea. It's like my brain goes so fast, if you asked me what i was thinking about, i wouldn't be able to tell you because the thought passed so quickly. That's the easiest way i can explain it.
For instance, if my fiance is driving us somewhere but he needs to get something in the backseat and we're at a stoplight, he'll ask me to let him know when the light turns green. I can't even do that. No mattter how much i want to remember what I'm supposed to tell him, i just can't. I can't stay focused.

I suppose what made me snap was i tried to get my permit yesterday(which i had been postponing for a while because I was trying to know the stuff before i took the test, plus i was nervous about the test in the first place) and before i took it, i was in the waiting room and i was reading directly from the book, eeverything i needed to know. And i walk into the room, confidantly, and start to take the test, and i can't remember Anything.

bottom line, I failed the test horribly.
it just made me snap.

I'm so tired of barely passing everything! of not making it through. Of failing. And I need to know what it is that's making me like this because once I know i can learn more about it and try to fix it.

someone, please help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
(female)

stepmom62 HB User
Re: Getting frustrated! what is wrong?!

I'd get tested for ADD/ADHD. I am 45 years old and took the test mainly because my husband and step kids are ADD and as I learned about them I started to see symptoms in myself. The primary symptom is that unless I find the material I am reading or the speaker I am listening to extremely exciting, I have no idea what I read or heard. The test took about 30 minutes. Based on my score I was borderline ADD. It was suggested to me that I should not take any medication unless I decided to take a class or endeavor on a project that required intense concentration. If I had been in school, medication would have been recommended. I had always thought that ADD was something that only hyperactive people have. Not true!

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

danibeth_2000 HB User

She's got a point with the whole unhyperness thing, my mom is ADHD and she'll be having a competly normal coversation with you and competly stop and forget what she was talking about and change the subject with out even knowing it, usualy beause something else catches her intrest for a sec. you litterly have to stop her and remind her of what she was talking about. my main point is that she's not hyper but was never one to do well in school beacuse of the same problem. so get tested but its not so much of something to be worried about as it is something to learn how to deal with. so keep at it.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
(male)

roxcyn HB User

Get tested for ADHD, stop drinking soda in a can, stop eating junk food, eat things such as bran cereal with milk, egg beaters, fruit (bannana, apple), fruit (frozen is good, potatoes), and stuff. You need to take care of your body. If you are eating junk your body is going to be hyper. "Junk in, junk out" as I was told. Have a nice day.

Closed Thread