It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

kathryn00 HB User
please help! does anyone recognize these symptoms?

i don't even know what kind of help to get. i have had these problems for so long. i can't deal with it anymore.

please let me know if you recognize these and, if so, what to do next.
thank you!

-Cannot follow through with ideas/plans
:I have many many lists of goals and what I would like to include in my life. It is the same as the list from college and I still have not achieved anything on it. Even in my journal you can see this pattern. ďI am going to do what I need to doĒ ďwhy didnít you do what you said?Ē and repeat.

-Overwhelmed by lots of information
:tend to shut down, but need ability for future projects. Longer process because have to look up song on internet to make sure it is what I wanted. But, it was what I wanted when I first wrote it down. (usually write lyric and look up that way)

-Feel detached from world
:not know song titles, social interaction, basic living skills. I know I like almonds because I see/hear about them almost daily. I should freaking know I like brazil nuts, but am only reminded when there is one around. Cannot think of this myself.

-Do not absorb details
nce again, poor memory. I would like to be able to retain the things I read, hear, speak (yes, donít even remember things I think or talk about). I know general ideas, not facts to support them.

When people speak itís as if they are not speaking
:sometimes when someone is talking directly to me it becomes jibberish or nothing at all. I lose focus and brain shuts down.

-What I think is not always what I say or write
:I can see an object, yet still not say the right thing. When writing, ideas not so cohesive. (this is because thatís all I think of). I can think through a thought one time, but cannot repeat it in the same way ever again.

-Hard to make decision s
:always buy something, take it home to see if I like it. Cannot decide this in stores. As if I donít know my own tastes. Canít see it as final product. Canít see how fit in my environment. As well as other decisions.

-Feels like there is a cloud over my brain
:I swear this is physical. Head not clear. Like fog.

-Poor short-term memory
:when turn around / arrive at desination I have to pause because I already forgot what I was doing. Told to give kitty his pill. 15 mins later, mom asks but I forgot. Forget memorizing names, books, songs, shows anything!

-No patience
:cannot stand to wait for someone; feel like moving around.

-Say the wrong thing or omit.
:usually spend rest of the day replaying what I didnít say or what I said wrong in my head. I have even rehearsed what I wanted to say in my head and then donít even say it right.

-General ďchecking outĒ feeling

-Canít find the right word.
:end up using descriptions

-Stammer

POOR MEMORY
POOR MEMORY
POOR MEMORY

thank you!
kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
(female)

caza HB User
Re: please help! does anyone recognize these symptoms?

hi kathy go on the autism board you will find answers there caza

Old 05-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

grandma.intense HB User

Have you been tested for ADD? My nephew was just diagnosed in COLLEGE! and he said it made such a difference. One of his professors noticed it. And not only him but his girlfriend was also just diagnosed.
What in the heck is going on in our world? More Austism, ADD, SID, PDD, learning disabilities, you name it and it is coming to a family near you......

I think all this inability to focus and remember things becomes self perpetuating. by that I mean, you may be ADD and you forget something and are upset and stressed by that. then the stress you feel makes you feel even worse because you are so worried.
How old are you anyhow>?????

Get checked for ADD. There is adult ADD, I think my mom has it and she is78 but does not have any typical symptoms of dementia.
She has a hard time focusing and remembering some things. But she can take care of her house and herself and the yard just fine. It's just new info that is not sticking. Is this how you feel?

do you ever feel like you have been drugged with a sleeping pill or feel sleepy like you took too much benadryl? Sometimes legal prescriptions can have adverse side effects-----

Last edited by grandma.intense; 05-07-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

blue712 HB User

it really does sound like you have ADD or ADHD. i have ADD. i experience almost all of the the symptoms you described. i was diagnosed with ADHD when i was 2. i have been evaluated in the past and i seem now to only have ADD. i am not giving you a diagnoses or anything, you may or may not have these disorders. i also suffer from a learning disorder caused by brain damage at birth, so that may have something to do with it.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Sounds like some kind of ASD, or Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Possibly AD/HD, but to me it sounds like Autism (I am also Autistic with ADHD and you sound a lot like me).

SGH

Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
(female)

seeking tao HB User

sounds just like my stepson,, only you are way more articulate.
he was given diagnsis of Expressive /Receptive Disorder..LD
was unaddressed in childhood, and so he has major frustration.
cant seem to make things happen, even when he really wants it,
kinda scetchy alot of the time.
goes in cylces,
does not eat rightt(hypoglcimic)
addicted to sugar,
likes smoking pot.
has issues,very immature and overly emotional
look at the expressive receptives,,
ps.
do what you are good at to the best of your ability,'this world has aplace for everyone,
get help, but march to your own drummer,, if u want to war stripes and flowers on the same day,, do it,,
but feel good that you are alive,, and get on with living the best life YOU can
peace
Dea

Closed Thread