It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
(male)

TyreanL HB User
Left and Right

Hi, I'm new here, nice to meet you all!

Basically, I'd like to know if there are any ways to tell left and right quickly. Throughout my life, it has always taken me time to decide if a direction is left or right and I'm kind of sick of being made fun of every time I can't figure it out in time.

So yeah, does anybody know any exercises or something that I can practice to allow me to be able to tell left and right instantly? I'm sure it would be really useful when I take driving lessons as well :P

Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

etsin99 HB User
Re: Left and Right

TyreanL

Maybe someone else will have some answers, but here is my suggestions.

Are you married? Rings on the L hand.
If not married I Would suggest putting a ring on your right hand any finger (RING on RIGHT hand). One that you can feel either big or heavy.

Which hand do you write with (righty or lefty)? Take one second an imagine that your are about to write something - whichever hand your about stick out is your writing hand.

The drivers seat of the car is the left (USA). So do you know anyones name that starts with the letter "L" or passager name starts with an "R". Here is an example

Say your name is Leonard - your in the car, your driving, so you say in your head "Leonard does Left turns". Or now while your driving think of yourself as Leonard or any L name.

Hope that helps.

ET

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Put out your hands, palm side down. Stick out your thumb and index finger. Your left hand will spell a L, for left. Your right hand will have an L backwards, meaning right.

SGH

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
(male)

TyreanL HB User

Thanks for the tips! I don't know where to get a ring, but that sounds like a good idea!

The problem with the pen thing is that though I figure it out given time, at a given moment, either hand feels like it could be comfortably writing something.

I'll definitely do the L thing when I start learning to drive. I'm deathly afraid of crashing because I couldn't figure out left from write.

I have heard the L's formed by the hands techniques before but at any given time if I look down, I've found that I can't figure out which L is pointing the right way for some reason. I guess I haven't really memorized what and L looks like hahaha.

But thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to practice these!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Tyrean

I have worked with children who have the same problem quite often (adults usually just domn't admit it!) It was also a problem for me. When driving, and a direction comes up, immediately blink your left eye, letting your btrain know which way is left. Right is the other way.

Practice it randomly a few times a day for a while and it will become second nature.

good luck
reachout

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I also have the same problem with north, south, east and west. How about you? One thing I have noticed though is that since I started driving several years ago, my sense of left/right directionality, at least while I am driving, has gotten much better. The only way I know the other directions though is by memory here around town or road signs. I can do it on a map, but sitting here at the computer I don't have any idea which way I am facing.

Nancy

Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
(male)

TyreanL HB User

Well, I don't have an innate sense of direction if that is what you mean... I am quite sure nobody does! If they do I've missed out of something fundamental in life hahaha. To know the north south east and west, I'd have to look at the sun's position or something. Generally I find it easier to start from east or north and figure out the directions from there... if you pointed towards the south, I wouldn't be completely sure where east and west were. That may just be lack of practice though hehehe.

Still working at it, thanks for the advice!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Do you wear a watch? If so, trying saying watch for whichever it is (right or left arm) and bracelet for the other. That's what my parents had to do with me as a child as I couldn't get them straight...but I knew watch and bracelet!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
(female)

myownmind HB User

One I use for driving is to tape a note card with the directions to the proper side of the car. This can also be done to the directinal.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #10
(female)

amyjlvd HB User

You read from left to right. We write from left to right. L comes before R alphabetically. If all the letters of the ABC's were spelled out on a page, and you circle the L and the R, they will be on the correct sides of the page.
Do you have any unique physical features like a scar or mole that you could memorize is on a particular side?
While driving, you drive on the right side of the road. Many intersections allow a Right turn on Red. Both R words. You can't make left turns on red since you'll be going across traffic.
Perhaps you have dyslexia? I have read it's common in people with this trouble.

Closed Thread