It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
need advice

I have a 15 year old son that is supposed to be in the tenth this year. He failed the 8th grade two years ago, and was so far behind, I put him in a private Christian school to try to help him. It didn't work, and he learned nothing. It was a total waste of a lot of money. Now I'm putting him back in public school, and he's being put in the ninth. I can't homeschool him, because I've been ill for about two years now, and just don't have the energy to try. He's got ADHD, and we've put him on many many med, and they just don't help, so now he's on nothing. He's testing on a 4-6 grade level on everything, so he's really far behind. However, when I had the schools test him, they said he's behind, but there's nothing that they can do. I'm getting his doctor to write a note that he's ADHD, and I am getting I'm getting the school to get together a 504 plan. We did this when he was in the public school up until he failed, so I know some about this. However, since he went to private, I have to start back over. The only accomodations that they usually give him, is sitting close to the teacher, being alone with a teacher during standardized testing, and a scribe for the test, along with someone helping him get all of his notes if he can't write them fast enough. He's very immature, and like I said very far behind. He struggles with everything. His handwriting is worse than my 2nd graders, and he can't spell. He can read, but on a low level. He understands what he reads, but he can't put it on paper. I'm having to help him do his summer reading, by writing what he says, and then helping him reword it so it will make sense. If I ask him to try to do it himself, he just sits there and looks at the paper, and gets really upset, because he has no idea what to do. Any suggestions? I think he's LD, but the school says definately not. They go by his IQ which is on low average. He's very bright when it comes to building things, seeing how things work, hands on type stuff. I did get his schedule to where he can take a few career center classes, where it will be hands on. I'm worried about the other classes though like Algebra 1, English 1, etc. Help me please. He really needs help, and I don't know what else to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: need advice

WM-
I am really sorry you and your son are having to deal with this. I know the pain it causes to your very core to watch your child struggle. I know because I dealt/still am dealing with that with my son. He is 13 and will be entering the 8th grade this year.

Our situation started as soon as he entered kindergarten, then escallated until I finally had him tested in third grade. The school was NO HELP AT ALL!! They just wanted to write things off as boys maturing more slowly than girls as far as schoolwork goes. Yeah, right!!

I have to ask this- have you, by chance, had your son screened for dyslexia? If not, please, PLEASE get him to a child psychologist and request that he be screened for it. I can't tell you your son is dyslexic, but I can tell you that ADHD and Dyslexia go hand-in-hand. I can also tell you that there are literally thousands of kids with Dyslexia that go undiagnosed because it is just such a misunderstood problem. Many kids with Dyslexia struggle through their entire school years almost failing, or even failing because no one even thought to screen them for this. These kids are written off as lazy or unmotivated. It's a sad, sad situation because no one wants to take the time to get to the core of what the actual problem is, and as a result- these children suffer. They end up with self esteem issues, and sometimes acting out because of it.

My son is mildly dyslexic, and it was really interfering with his progressing at a normal pace in school. He has never failed, but he certainly has to work 10 times as hard as the other students just to make it through. He is actually a very intelligent kid, but the dyslexia hampers/interferes greatly with his ability to get through his schoolwork. He is very mechanically inclined and is great with his hands. Does any of this sound like what your son experiences?

If so, then please have him screened. I would also highly recommend you have him screened through Dr. Mel Levine's Student Success Center. They are based in Chapel Hill, NC. They have other offices as well.

I wish you and your son the very best of luck. I could have gone into more details, but there are so many that this would have become a novel.

Last edited by ozzybug; 08-19-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Roseabell9 HB User
Re: need advice

hi i have Dyslexia which i know is nt the same but its simalar.
i know things i m going to say u probaly know but there again may not, please also have a rough guess at what i spell. (sorry its not great)
and i hope i may say somthing that may help.
i had help in school for Dyslexia, and meet many other with the same.(which helped me to know that i was not alown and not completly thick, there was one's above my leave and below, and it made me feel more confadent to keep on trying) we find it very hard to cope with english maths and any subjets really texted based. i kwho i lad who was so bright he knows about dino-saws, animales like the back of his hand eg how to say the long words for T-rex, and every thing about it and i mean every thing. for him to learn, the personal teatcher would help him by using his intresst to teach him the unliked subjets. i use a lot of bright colours on text and images to replace the harder text, my best mate us rymes, songs, funny storys. colour covers that go over black text on whight paper to stop the text from moveing around. also a recorder to tape any thing that is need to remember so i can play it over and over and over again. i neave learn it frist time around never. computer are great to, like i never wright the start of the story i get it all jumbled about, so then i can replace my text and also cheak that it make some sence. which on paper i would need almost a full pad to creat one page. o yes i used to use a address book for my spelling (but resantly i lost it :-() it was fantastic for keeping all my new words and simple words, for in it it would frist say the word then how to say it in sounds wise eg
word under T say meaning
though th r oo to go though a door

its simple yet it works coz it cuts out having to go though a dicanary for 50years to find one word, in say a exsam, saves time big time. plus its very hard to find the word in the frist place.
tip never ever give up on him, always stay positive, coz he will follow though.

Closed Thread