It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle316 HB User
No memory retention

My daughter is 10 (the youngest). She seems to not have very good memory retention. For example when we help her with her homework we will lead her to an answer. If more than 3 minutes goes by she forgets it and we have to start all over. She is a very "on the go" kid always wanting to do something, go somewhere. The school had her tested for special classes but she did not qualify. I am not sure if this is a medical issue or if she is just not wanting to concentrate. Anyone have any advice?

The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle316 For This Useful Post:
AprilGale1974 (03-01-2012)
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

kelmcmurr HB User
Re: No memory retention

Hello, I had the same problem with my 9 yr old son... he acted out in school as well he would not sit still and he could not remember much from the day....have you ever had your child tested for add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

Michelle316 HB User

I have not had her tested for that. I dont know much about the symtoms or treatment of add but my brother was tested when he was young (25 yrs ago) and he was put on medication that made him feel and act strange. I am sure the medication has come a long way since then but I dont want my daughter to have to go through what he went through or be missed diagnosed. Like we see done so much these days.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
(female)

tracellia HB User

Try different learning styles. I have problems with memory too and discovered I have dyslexia and learn via tectile and visually. Sometimes changing how you teachcan help. I found I could not learn Spanish, but I picked up Sign Language very easily. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

melissaplus HB User

My daughter has the same problem, Her school had her tested and they thought it was her listening skills, I went and had her tested and they gave her a diagnosis of ADD, Then a diagnosis of memory disorder and add, and slow processing skills, Im still not satisfied with all these different diagnosis, I know its more to it and im still going to continue to have her tested until I find out wants wrong, I know its hard on her not being able to remember something she just learned and it affects her academically and socially because she can't keep up with the others kids. Some of her symptoms are not being able to focus, blank staring when someones talking to her, bad handwriting, slow responses to questions ask to her those are just a few.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
(female)

melissaplus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaplus View Post
My daughter has the same problem, Her school had her tested and they thought it was her listening skills, I went and had her tested and they gave her a diagnosis of ADD, Then a diagnosis of memory disorder and add, and slow processing skills, Im still not satisfied with all these different diagnosis, I know its more to it and im still going to continue to have her tested until I find out wants wrong, I know its hard on her not being able to remember something she just learned and it affects her academically and socially because she can't keep up with the others kids. Some of her symptoms are not being able to focus, blank staring when someones talking to her, bad handwriting, slow responses to questions ask to her those are just a few.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
(female)

Dee842 HB User

Hi there

Did your school ever mention that she might had a learning disability. Sometimes add and Learning disabilities can be confused. We did think our 10 year old son had ADD for awhile and even our own doctor diagnosed him with ADD. But after reading books and videos on it we concluded that this wasn't the case for him. My son was acting out because he was frustrated that he wasn't like "other kids". He wasn't learning at the same pace as other kids his age. So his self esteem plummeted. Thats when we got the school to give him an Educational Assessment. They concluded that he has a learning disability. His memory retention is very poor. He confuses his left and right. His writing skills are poor. He get frustrated when taking the notes from the blackboard and putting it down on paper. If were reading a book together I'll ask him what is going on in the last few pages we just read and he couldn't tell me. Kids with Learning diabilities have an average to above average IQ score. Having this diagnoses has nothing to do with there intelligence level. In fact sometime these kids make up for there disability by being exceptionally gifted in a different area. For instance my son is great at sports. He loves football and thats where all his self esteem comes from.So with all that said. I'm not saying this is what your daughter has, just my own story. But definately be her advocate. Your know your own child better than anyone.

Thanks

Dena

Closed Thread