It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

pauline2007 HB User
22 year old daughter with learning difficulties low energy levels

Hi, Please has anyone similar experience or suggestions for solution. My 22 year old daughter was diagnosed with learning difficulties at school but no label was given only that she had a much lower than average IQ. She has always had problems with energy levels but it is since she has needed to work that this has become a hugh problem. She has been sacked from several jobs now because she has too much time off. She also seems to suffer with possibly IBS and really bad period pains. She has been to the doctors a few times but they only seem to suggest changing her diet but she doesn't like eating the "healthier" options. She spends most of her time in bed these days either sleeping or watching tv. Sometimes I don't know whether she is just being lazy. I don't know whether to be much tougher with her as I'm fully aware that life has been and is more difficult. She is also picky with the jobs she wants to do i.e. she doesn't want to work with food again as this makes her feel sick but is this linked with her not so normal brain?
Can anyone comment with similar experience or advice? She is moving away soon to another town to live with her boy friend and I am afraid that she will end up living on benefits for the rest of her life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: 22 year old daughter with learning difficulties low energy levels

Pauline........Did they give you an IQ number? It would be helpful to know at what level she is functioning. Did she finish school? I'm not sure how it works in England. Did she attend special classes or have an individual education plan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

worrydoll HB User
Re: 22 year old daughter with learning difficulties low energy levels

I for one can relate to this I am the exact same age as your daughter and I too have LD and get pretty bad cramps around period time. It is fairly common for people with LD to have a low self esteem and often people with depression get classed as lazy as well but what people don't realize is how much depression can zap your energy. Instead of being hard on her for things she can't help you need to be her motivater at this stage until she can do it for herself. Help her to get involved in things that she is talented at and that will help build her self esteem. Most people with LD need that extra guidance they're not quite bad enough to get special assistance but still our problems do need a bit of help but not to the point where it becomes debilitating but this type of problem usually gets ignored or swept under the rug which actually puts more pressure on the person because they know that they can't quite keep up but that little bit of right guidance would go along way. Now sure you're going to make mistakes along the way but if she knows she has your support and you refuse to give up on her she may feel what she has was a bit unfair but having the people who love her show her support that is a great thing to have in your life and that can make a person go along way. Do you or does she make the work force aware of her problem? Because they may be putting added stress on her if they are not entirely aware of what she has to deal with and if they knew and were understanding of it she may actually enjoy and it may help with her self worth working in a supportive environment.

Last edited by worrydoll; 09-21-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Closed Thread