It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

Fallon_C HB User
Unhappy My 4 year old son and his delays... :(

Hello everyone.

My son is 4 and a half years old and he's always and still is very delayed in everything. It all started since he was an infant; he crawled at 11 months, walked at 2 years, etc... he still doesn't talk and everything he says is like "ah ah". He is taking Speech Therapy at a University here in our city and they think he may have a Speech Apraxia. We have had him tested for numerous disorders but he has never been fully diagnosed with anything. All the dr's can tell me is that he is severly delayed in speech, fine motor, etc... he's pretty much delayed in everything. We now have an apppointment at a child study center with some developmental pediatricians so I'm sorta excited about that.

Pretty much I'm just looking for parents who have children who are similar to mine and I'd like to know what you've done for your child. I'm looking mostly for support. Ever since we discovered his delays its been very trying for us. And not a day goes by that I don't cry for him or feel bad or mad.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

dkbladez HB User
Re: My 4 year old son and his delays... :(

Hello Fallon,
I also have a four year old boy with some mild delays. He has taken speech therapy through the local elem. school since he was three. He started the PreK program in Septmeber and he has had many problems. He started regressing and having bowel movements on himself. It was very frustrating but you have to believe in yourself and your child. He did all of the testing and he was only found in the gray areas which means he cant receive any services. His teacher is awful but he loves school, she has tried to put him out so many times but I stay on them and make sure that they do their jobs. Do what's best for your child, hopefully he can get an IEP and he can receive additional services.

Be blessed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

sdjansen HB User

My 2 and a half year old son also has apraxia. It is so hard to watch your little angel struggle and feel like there is nothing you can do to help. The best advice I can give you is to be as pushy and educated about your sons delays as possible. Find out everything he is qualified for and ask for more. Take advantage of every program you can find and stay positive.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

dayna3395 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon_C View Post
Hello everyone.

My son is 4 and a half years old and he's always and still is very delayed in everything. It all started since he was an infant; he crawled at 11 months, walked at 2 years, etc... he still doesn't talk and everything he says is like "ah ah". He is taking Speech Therapy at a University here in our city and they think he may have a Speech Apraxia. We have had him tested for numerous disorders but he has never been fully diagnosed with anything. All the dr's can tell me is that he is severly delayed in speech, fine motor, etc... he's pretty much delayed in everything. We now have an apppointment at a child study center with some developmental pediatricians so I'm sorta excited about that.

Pretty much I'm just looking for parents who have children who are similar to mine and I'd like to know what you've done for your child. I'm looking mostly for support. Ever since we discovered his delays its been very trying for us. And not a day goes by that I don't cry for him or feel bad or mad.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

dayna3395 HB User

my nephew will be 5 next month and he cant talk not a word he will copy what u say to him but thats it.He is very smart he knows everything u ask him by pointing and shaking his head yes or no but just wont talk.My brother says he will talk when he gets ready his brother is 9 and cant read the school he is in sucks.their mother has delays too.but i think something could be done by doctors to find out why he cant talk but my brother says its not my business,but it is when i keep him all the time and he thinks im his mom since his real mom dumped them for another man.what do i need to do or should i just leave it alone i go to their iep meeting but can only say so much.

Last edited by dayna3395; 01-18-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

rebecca197334 HB User

Same story here. We have 2 boys. One will be 3 in March and one just turned 4 in Jan. We were told they have global delays. Which just means that no one knows why. We were under the impression because of things the neurologist said that it might be CP, but so mild and why label him, so we didn't. Now some of his therapist think he might be on the Autism spectrum. Maybe PDD, or something. It's so frustrating. I have to watch him struggle and I don't know why, and so I can't help much. I just take him to therapy, had him enrolled in a public Pre-KD program. And hopefully the younger one can go too when he turns three. Our oldest is 12 months behind in most of his skills, and won't pay any attention to other kids, unless they take his toy. The school doesn't want to do anything because developmentally he is so young. But I feel like we are wasting time. If he's Austic, I want to know now, So he can get help now. And that means paying for it all ourselves. So frustrating. We are going to find him a mental health professional, because i'm afraid his frustartion might lead to low self esteem and self image. Already he's showing behavioral problems. Screaming, Arm flapping, biting and pinching. He has words, but often can't find them appropiately. It's like he has to think about for so long, that is attention span runs out. So it never gets said. He either tantrums or moves on. And I don't know what he's feeling. It makes me sad, and other moms don't understand. We don't even understands what's wrong because he can't tell us.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
(female)

becki02 HB User

Hi, I have a son with the same problems. He's eight years old now. He's in first grade with "normal peers" and receives special education services. We noticed that at 11 months old wasn't standing. He was diagnoised with low muscle tone and he's still working on it also, speech delays. So we went and worked with birth to three and then sent him to a 3-4 year old program and then he repeated special needs kindergarten. Now he's running doing tae kwan do and other activites. Don't give up hope even though there are times there will be that you want to. Because Brandon is the light of my life along with his older brother. Also, he's the reason that I ended up going back to school to become a special education teacher because there's not many good one out there. I lucked out big time with his kindergarten teacher and his special ed teacher now. Take care and

Last edited by moderator2; 03-19-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: posted contact info

Closed Thread