It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User
Son delayed in speech and understanding...

Hello, My son is 26 months. He shows signs of autism but they ruled it out due to him being very social with adults. He still loves to spin things though, loves to look at fans and does stimming which is repeatative movements that serve no purpose. For instance when he is excited, nervous, happy etc. he will posture his hands, shake his head no, grimace his face, will flip his ear. Things like that. He only says 3 words. mom, bite and good. He used to say ball and forgot that word and said da da for about 3 days forgot it, that is why he is going to have a overnight eeg and chromosome testing. They think maybe seizures are making him forget words? Also, I am very concerned about mental retardation, my sister in laws children are both in special ed, so it may run in the family. What I am getting at is are there any signs of mental retardation in a toddler? He doesnt understand most things you are saying. He doesnt tell you about dirty diaper, he doesnt understand when you like tell him to get his cup or something like that. He is like a baby in a way. He has started looking your way more when you call his name. He likes for you to name nose, eyes and mouth for him and point but he will not do it himself. For instance you can say look here is your leg, look leg, over and over, then ask him immediately after where is your leg and he doesnt point to his leg. I dont know if im expecting too much out of him for his age. What should a typical toddler his age be able to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Re: Son delayed in speech and understanding...

You said he was ruled out of autism but did any of his doctors talk about other disorders like aspergers, dyspraxia, or down syndrome? I dont know what a typical toddler is doing at that age but my DS is 2 and a half and doesnt speak any words, but he has apraxia. Some of his brain was damaged from seizures and now his brain cant send the signal to speak. We use sign language with him and he goes to speech therapy twice a week.

In my opinion doctors seem to take a wait and see attitude too much of the time, I always encourage parents to be as pushy as possible to find out what, if anything is going on with your son. I strongly believe in early intervention so the sooner the better is how I feel.

One thing I found helped with my DS is I basically do a running commentary of everything I do-Now I am washing the white plate, next i will rinse the cups, see how I rinse the cups, and so on. I also made pictures of stuff he likes around the house, like pictures of food in the refridgerator, so when he wants something he can point to it, and I will say Oh you want milk, and sign milk and encourage him to do the same.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

twobell HB User
Re: Son delayed in speech and understanding...

I was searching thru, trying to see if I could find anyone who had a child experiancing the same thing as my son, and I came upon your post. The only thing is, my son doesn't say any words. He loves to play patty cake, but besides that...he can't walk, talk, feed himself, communicate with us what is bothering him or what he wants. He will be turning 3 on April 9th.He has been having grand mal siezures and drop attaks since he was 10 months old. We have been uin and out of hospitals, and we still have no base root of the problem. It is so FRUSTARTING! What do you do to cope?

Last edited by twobell; 03-06-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Closed Thread