It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

JSCM86 HB User
Mental Development of a 9 year old

Hello everyone, I'm a little worried about my little sister who is now 9. Shouldn't she be able to do simple mental addition such as 35+25? For whatever reason she cannot do these kinds of simple addition and subtraction problems in her head. In fact, she doesn't understand the concept of money. how much change she should get back etc. My mom has been the one primarily responsible for her education and she's tried to 'drill' these simple concepts in her head but she is just not getting it. I've stepped in myself and tried various things but to no avail. I even bought her educational games but they don't seem to be doing her any good. She seems to guess on most of the problems.
I never had problems with math. Infact, I'm in the actuarial profession so this is quite a surprise. So naturally, I'm concerned that she might have a mental disorder. She also doesn't put too many coherent sentences together. A lot of things she says does not make sense. Overall, she has problem doing anything that requires some thought. I've suggested to my mom that she gets her checked out but she doesn't want to believe that she has a problem so she probably won't. She is going to 4th grade and I'm worried that she's doomed to have trouble because she still cannot do a lot of basic things. Am I over-reacting? Any suggestions as to what might be causing her issues?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

eileen62 HB User
Re: Mental Development of a 9 year old

is you sister home-schooled? if she is she needs an outside assessment. If not, check with her teachers; report card grades, yearly assessments, state tests - they'll give you a clue as to her strengths and weaknesses. My 9 yr old son does not do mental math for the most part. He still uses his fingers. He's not good with money eiher. We haven't "drilled" him, although we know it will make his school life easier. I especially know, I teach special ed (MS/HS). But, I also know we all have our strong points and weak ones. Math is not my forte (perhaps that's why I don't push my son). You're a math person, it must be frustrating for you. Your sis may not be. She msy just feel "lazy" at home (my son does), and not want to do the work.

If she is home-schooled, eventually she will have to take the state tests, so it's still a good idea to get an outside assessment. Her local school can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
(male)

JSCM86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen62 View Post
is you sister home-schooled? if she is she needs an outside assessment. If not, check with her teachers; report card grades, yearly assessments, state tests - they'll give you a clue as to her strengths and weaknesses. My 9 yr old son does not do mental math for the most part. He still uses his fingers. He's not good with money eiher. We haven't "drilled" him, although we know it will make his school life easier. I especially know, I teach special ed (MS/HS). But, I also know we all have our strong points and weak ones. Math is not my forte (perhaps that's why I don't push my son). You're a math person, it must be frustrating for you. Your sis may not be. She msy just feel "lazy" at home (my son does), and not want to do the work.

If she is home-schooled, eventually she will have to take the state tests, so it's still a good idea to get an outside assessment. Her local school can help.
Thanks for responding.

She is not homed schooled and she is at or below average in most areas according to standerdized tests. She is very bad at any kind of computation or reading comprehension. I'm not sure what to do.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
(female)

Dee842 HB User

Hi there

You definately need to get her assessed by an education psycologist. My son got assessed in March of this year and was diagnosed with a learning disability. He was definately doing the same things as your sister is. He wasn't grasping simple math facts, telling time, money and change. But in the same token he is very intelligent. His brain just doesn't learn the way others learn. He's a visual learner. So if you were to read a test orally to him he would whiz through it, no problem. So that said, mentally I would say there is nothing wrong with your sister. Its the way she processes her information. Kids with learning disablities are average to above average in IQ. Another thing in this whole process of my 10 year old is that I've identified my own learning disability. But I never had the resources that are offered today for kids. Tell your mom to be supportive and be her advocate. If you don't do something about it, no one else will. Your sister can still go to college and achieve other goals she just needs the resources to do it and hard work.

Thanks

Dena

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

eileen62 HB User

I agree 100% with Dee. Your sister needs to request an assessment through school; talk with the special ed supervisor, chair whomever. You may want to get an outside evaluation, especially if the school gives you a hard time. We all don't fit into the same box, sometimes our individual learning styles need to be addressed differently. Proper placement; reg class with resource (in or out), remediation, inclusion, sped placement, after-school, tutoring...whatever your niece needs is available, is what will help her to succeed. At the very least mom, child & teacher(s) should sit and discuss strengths and how they can all help with the deficiencies, you may want to be there to (if acceptable), a concerened, helpful adult should always be welcome. Kudos to you for your care!

Closed Thread