It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
(male)

Dustin2626 HB User
central auditory processing disorder

Hi

I'm new to Healthboards but i came across it earlier today and been reading alot about central auditory processing disorder.

I'm 21 and i have central auditory processing disorder, i just never grew out of it or even if it is possible too.

I joined The United States Marine Corp a year or so ago but was medically discharged for having CAPD and it has always been my dream and well what i'm getting at. I do want to join and found out that i can but my question is, does anyone know of someone with CAPD in the military? I just recently found out i had it, my parents kept it a secret from me my whole life so i don't know that much about, is there any kind of cure of even treatments for it?

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

fairydustxmagic HB User
Cool Re: central auditory processing disorder

I dont know if there is any cure. I have had it since like 2nd grade or 1st grade but i have a question for you. how do you live with it? does it affect you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
(male)

Dustin2626 HB User
Re: central auditory processing disorder

I just try my best really, I hate it because it stops me from doing alot of things. Well for some people they just think i have a accent i can't say words that have a r in the middle like word, work, bird, board and bored. I tend to be really quite most of the time i dont talk that much mainly because most people can't understand me. I went to speech when i was a kid. What about you, does it affect you at all and how do you live with it?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
(female)

fairydustxmagic HB User

i did speech as a kid. but i dont have problems saying stuff. uhm it really sucks living with it. i mean i have symptoms of add haha becuase with apd you something cant pay attention and stuff and thats me. when theres a tv playing and someones talking to me i pay attention to the tv. or when someones talking to me i can stare at them looking at their mouths move but hear nothing. or hear them talk and hear alittle of what they said or they can say how are you and i hear what are you. or they can say boat! and ill hear coat. doing high school and middle school and stuff i just couldnt do it didnt get anything the teachers said and now im scared to go to college so i might do online college and im scared to get a job becuase of it. its a invisible disability. i live life how ive always lived it very hard.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
(male)

Dustin2626 HB User

i know exactly how you feel and it's weird for me. Like sometimes if someone talk i have no idea what they are saying but it doesn't happen all of the time. Well my advice go to college for atleast a semester and try it out. I felt the same way for a long time that i couldn't go to school or get a job because of it. When i first started working i was scared because i had a bad experiences in school but having a job and actually working helped me out alot. I do have some bad days but i try keep a postive attitude and have fun. Yeah so we have CAPD that doesn't stop us from being any less "normal".

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
(female)

fairydustxmagic HB User

i did try one semester at college i only did one class and i believe i passed. but i was not only facing my APD but also my bipolar. and it was sooooo hard like you wouldnt believe.

Closed Thread