It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

Patthedog HB User
IQ scores

My 11 y/o child had been tested at school earlier this year, his IQ is 84 and he has the lowest score in his working memory index. I'm wondering how this below average score will affect his independence when he is older, will we need to support him, what kind of job will he be able to get, etc.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: IQ scores

You shouldn't put too much emphasis on an IQ score. His score is considered low average but he could be an overachiever and do quite well. In any case, he should be able to get a decent job and support himself and a family. There are people with high IQs that never reach their potential and end up as bums on the street. Just encourage him to do his best and you be supportive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
(male)

maggiebw HB User

Hi, I'm a special education teacher and am wondering how your child is performing in the classroom - especially in reading and math. What did the psychologist explain about an 84? An 84 does not mean your child can't get a HS diploma and hold a job. 50% of people have a score below 100 and 85 to 115 is considered the "normal" range. So, your child is only 1 point below that. He may have to study harder, be taught using more visuals and manipulatives - but with the correct presentation of information, he can most certainly learn and thrive. Ask the person who tested him what his strenghts are and what interventions/accommodations will take advantage of those strengths. Most importantly, don't see this as a negative - it's a number that gives part of the picture. We have students in our tech programs with even lower numbers learning to be electricians. A job that has the potential to pay very well. Emphasize his strengths - and give him the belief that he can learn. My own nephew (9 yrs. old) has a score closer to 70 and with help and the correct instruction, I have no doubt he will graduate. Don't let anyone tell you it's all over for him at 11.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

Patthedog HB User

Thanks to you both for your responses. I am not trying to make him a number, I realize he has potential, but I do get scared alot about his future. His inability to recall things that are simple worries me a lot. He was tested at school, he has an IEP already, no one gave me any explanations about the score. We we were suppose to go back to the developmental ped's, but I didn't, couldn't jump through all her hoops. Sick of people telling me he is ADHD and needs meds. Whether he is or not, tried meds in the past and had no changes in behavior, just lots of side effects.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
(male)

maggiebw HB User

In my experience, if the child truly has ADHD the medicine will make night and day difference. Also, what strategies are his teachers using to help with the short term memory issues? Are they giving him graphic organizers to help the information "hook" in the right place so he can retrieve easily? With my students, their issue isn't "memory" - but retrieval. I have to watch for language issues of teachers using one word in class then a synonym showing up on the test blocks the access to the information in memory. Just wondering... I hate to see a child who can learn, not learn b/c of how they are being instructed. It is so frustrating both for the child and parent. I wish you the best... MBW

Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
(female)

Patthedog HB User

I talked to the sped teacher last year about picture cues in the class, but she didn't implement them and is not teaching there this year.

He gets fidgety, drums, tips the chair back, etc. and gets in trouble for it, I actually think he is frustrated and that is the way he shows it, not ADHD.

Interesting that you are in SC, MBW, we anticipate relocating there next year and I've heard bad things about the schools, but they can't all be bad!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
(male)

maggiebw HB User

This is true... not all bad. As in any school district, there are teachers that are there for the kids and keep trying different things until they find what works for the student. I wish more teachers understood that they haven't taught until the student has learned. Just putting out the information isn't enough - students learn differently and as the teacher you must search for the key that works to help the student learn. I hate to see a child be set up to fail and blamed for not learning by saying they're lazy or don't care. I've never seen a child that doesn't want to learn, but lots frustrated w/ learning b/c they can't access the information effectively. I wish you and your son the best... don't stop fighting for him. MBW

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
(male)

netoon HB User

It's never too late, especially at such a young age. There are many strategies in terms of nutrition, mental/physical exercises, lifestyle changes, etc... that will improve your child's IQ score. Basically, you should view this low score as something in need of special attention. It's a warning sign. That's all.

Closed Thread