It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

michellekarol HB User
Excellant student-can't spell!

My son is in 7th grade. He loves to read & easily remembers statistics. I would consider him extremely smart on all levels, however.....his spelling is unbelievable! He can easily memorize spelling words to ace a test, but when he applies writing in the practical sense it's a disaster. He will add extra letters to words I am positive he knows how to spell, like hadd for had or jett for jet or he'll just add random e's at the end of words. He also has a very hard time with sentence structure & his thoughts aren't translated into correct sentences that are easy to understand. He is great at Language Arts and understanding sentence structure, ect. Excellant at math as well. He has had some difficulties with transposing letters. He recieved extremely low grades in the public school setting & was labeled as sloppy & not putting forth effort, when in fact, he would spend 4-5 times the amount of time on the same assignment that my daughter did the previos year.

If anyone has any clue as to what this could be I would be thrilled! We are homeschooling at this point, but this will affect him as he goes on to college. Is there anything we can do?????

Closed Thread