It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
(male)

SteelerLover HB User
Learning Disabled and ADHD Child - Alternatives Needed

We have an 11 year old son that has been diagnosed with ADHD and who we think has a learning disability.

He is having an awful time in school this year keeping up with all the work because we have taken him off the ADHD meds because of growth issues.

We want to stay off the meds and we do not want to go through the school to help him because we a fearful of him being labeled by the other kids and teachers as being "slow", "dumb", or worse - not for our sake but for his.

Besides the drugs and the school route, what alternatives have worked for you in helping your child with ADHD and/or learning disabilities?

Thanks.

Last edited by SteelerLover; 10-07-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

lunalu HB User
Re: Learning Disabled and ADHD Child - Alternatives Needed

Get a psy-educational eval. The school should be able to do this for free if they follow the proper procedures and if you are willing to work with them. If you wish, you can speak to his/her Dr. and get a referral for a private psychological eval. This will give you specifics on ability (IQ), strengths and weaknesses. This should also shed some light on how much the attention difficulties are affecting school performance. THEN you will be in a more educated position to make decisions about whether to medicate, tutor, modify schoolwork, etc. It is a long road,. Don't get discouraged or angry at the bumps. There are no quick fixes. Just hang in there and support your child.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

mom1000 HB User

Sorry, my answer is not what you want to hear. But I think you definately need to go through the school and get an IEP. We did the same thing as you and tried to handle my son's LD without the school. As he got older, it was even harder for him to keep up. The IEP allows him extra time for tests and teacher's give him more help.

As for the labeling, we tried so hard to protect my son's feelings, but in the end, he was angry because he felt we were hiding things from him. He is very aware that he is "different" and wants the help. He is okay with that as long as we just deal with it straight up.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
(female)

caplogger HB User

My son has CAPD (central auditory processing disorder) and is in third grade this year. I was resistant to getting him tested in the the school and getting him services. He is always telling me that he does not want to get pulled out. I don't blame him, but when he said to me that he feels like he is "getting dumber, not smarter" i had to do something. We are now in the process of a school eval and we are getting a private neuropsych eval so that we are 100% sure what we are dealing with. It looks like it is leaning in the ADD-inattentive type direction. It is hard to make the decision. I am not sure which will harm his self-esteem more (getting services or not getting services in school). Good luck with your decision. Many of my friends use home tutors (expensive though).

Last edited by caplogger; 10-26-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1000 View Post
Sorry, my answer is not what you want to hear. But I think you definately need to go through the school and get an IEP. We did the same thing as you and tried to handle my son's LD without the school. As he got older, it was even harder for him to keep up. The IEP allows him extra time for tests and teacher's give him more help.

As for the labeling, we tried so hard to protect my son's feelings, but in the end, he was angry because he felt we were hiding things from him. He is very aware that he is "different" and wants the help. He is okay with that as long as we just deal with it straight up.
You cannot get an IEP unless the child has been diagnosed with an actual learning disability.

Did your son ever get tested?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLu View Post
You cannot get an IEP unless the child has been diagnosed with an actual learning disability.

Did your son ever get tested?
ADHD qualifies a child for an IEP....by law.

Closed Thread