It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

Telly00 HB User
Exclamation 4 years old and in a lot of trouble!!

I'm an aunt to a beautiful little girl... who has some serious problems.
shes never been a normal baby. when she was born my brother and sister-in-law were living with us but moved out shortly after. from the start, shes never really done things that a normal child does. she wouldnt suckle.

getting older we found that she would refuse most foods. she never copies what everyone around her is doing. she doesnt speak. she babbles and plays by herself, and once in a while we think we might hear a word, but shell never repeat it again. sometimes shes even mean to animals. she doesnt play with other children, or even with us. shell watch us do something and laugh, but will never follow suit. she seems to be learning at a very slow pace.

the worst of the situation is that her parents are in denial. they were both extremely young when they had her. we've told them to take her to a doctor, and they say they have but i'm his younger sister and i think they might be lying to shut the family up. ive watched him do it time and time again in the past. he said that the doctor said shes only 8 months behind. i'm a psychology student and have taken enough developmental courses to know shes farther behind than that.

i have a few theories that could be possible. her mother had to have an emergency c-section during birth and she may have suffered from lack of oxygen. her mother also didnt eat very well while pregnant, so it could be malnutrition (she continues to only live off of very unnutritional foods).

my mom is so lost we have no control over what goes on because they live so far and they wont deal with the problem.

so i need advice please!! has anyone else seen this type of condition any what can we do to help her?? she will have to go to school soon. if CFS sees her, im sure theyll take her away. negligence to get her help is still negligence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: 4 years old and in a lot of trouble!!

When she starts school I am sure the teacher will notice that she is developmentally delayed and suggest testing. In the meantime, there isn't much you can do unless you want to report negligence to CPS yourself. I wish you well.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

maxi321 HB User

I think those are Autism red flags there

Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
(female)

caangelxox HB User

maybe autism, but I am thinking ceralbralpaslsie (no idea how to spell it, but hopefully you know what I am talking about). My sister has ceralbralpalsie. She can talk and such, but she could not walk until she was 9 years old. She can communicate with my mom, but talks a lot (speech problem too and hard time expressing what she is trying to say) and also picks up things from other people she see's. Also, she does not talk much around other people other than my mom. She clings to my mom like crazy. With everyone else, she makes sounds when she talks and she is like "yeah, uh huh" and saying a very few words. The doctors did not get the oxygen on her fast enough when she was born and she turned blue. that is what caused the ceralbrapalsie in her.

there are so many different kinds of that, but I bet that is what the 4 year old has. Get her in a special education program.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

jnn HB User

there is something going on for sure. Eight months behind (even if he wasn't lying) is enough to be qualified for intervention. If there's nothing you can do, i guess you just need to wait till the school picks her up...

Closed Thread